Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping work early due to Covid - rights?

Options
  • 14-03-2021 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, my consultant has advised me to consider stopping work at 28 weeks due to pregnant women being high risk in their last trimester. I'm 34 and healthy but it is impossible to social distance in my workplace, or to work from home. I'm not sure what to do.
    How does this work re rights/maternity leave? I'm worried it would count as "starting maternity leave early for medical reasons", meaning my maternity leave after baby is born would be very short?
    Or would this fall under a seperate type of leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No it wouldn't be maternity leave. It would be sick leave until your maternity starts then you start maternity when you are due to start it.
    You can get sick pay if you are entitled to it up until your maternity leave starts then it switches over to that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

andreac wrote: »
    No it wouldn't be maternity leave. It would be sick leave until your maternity starts then you start maternity when you are due to start it.
    You can get sick pay if you are entitled to it up until your maternity leave starts then it switches over to that then.
    It would only be sick leave for first few days, depending on your company policy. After that, it actually transfers to disability. Your GP should be able to sign you out as unable to work. What you're entitled up depends on your job contract, how long you've been working and current PRSI status

Advertisement