Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland v Ireland 6n 2021

1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Not when the ball is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If they're late, then fair enough if the TMO gets involved. Didn't notice any late hits personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

It's legal but scummy. Same as targeting the knee at a ruck clear out. You can potentially ruin a fella's career doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's legal but scummy. Same as targeting the knee at a ruck clear out. You can potentially ruin a fella's career doing it.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Has there been any word on why Murray didn't get on? I thought the use of the bench was a bit odd altogether but was expecting him at 55-60 mins. If he's not fit he shouldn't be there.

Someone had to keep Billy company as it was clear as day bar Sexton losing a leg Billy wasn't being allowed anywhere bar the water bottles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

GreeBo wrote: »
    Whats the worst that could happen, we don't win the 6N?

Carbery hasn't spent a single minute with the Irish set-uo under Farrell. Rather than ask "what's the harm" we should be asking "what's the benefit". And in reality there is none. He's not up to speed with what is going on in-camp and he won't get up to speed in a couple of days. So he should stay where he is and continue to build on his game time and performances before linking up with Ireland for the next series, whenever that will be.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Carbery hasn't spent a single minute with the Irish set-uo under Farrell. Rather than ask "what's the harm" we should be asking "what's the benefit". And in reality there is none. He's not up to speed with what is going on in-camp and he won't get up to speed in a couple of days. So he should stay where he is and continue to build on his game time and performances before linking up with Ireland for the next series, whenever that will be.

Doesn't make any sense but it does 'limit the harm' of Billy Burns getting on if Sexton gets poleaxed 5 minutes into the game. Jeepers what a thought.....Billy Burns v England for 75 mins.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Whats the worst that could happen, we don't win the 6N?

Zero time in squad so no idea of calls etc. You are calling into and dropping out one of the players who have been in the mix last two years. No matter what you think of those players it is not really a good look.

The fact he would have zero ideas on calls etc would put him at risk of been in the wrong place at the wrong time and smash. Really want the likes of Vunipola running over him a few days after coming back from injury!!!

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Doesn't make any sense but it does 'limit the harm' of Billy Burns getting on if Sexton gets poleaxed 5 minutes into the game. Jeepers what a thought.....Billy Burns v England for 75 mins.....

The few minutes he played in the AI was the best Ireland played and he was the only one to figure out to kick the ball over the rush defence

In regards to the "If Sexton gets injured after 5 mins" has that ever happened in a green jersey and had to come off after 5 ins?

• Advertisement

sebdavis wrote: »
    The few minutes he played in the AI was the best Ireland played and he was the only one to figure out to kick the ball over the rush defence

In regards to the "If Sexton gets injured after 5 mins" has that ever happened in a green jersey and had to come off after 5 ins?

No idea re Sexton coming off after 5 mins.....but it could happen !!!

Look the slim chance we have of beating England (slimmer now if Ryan is out) will need Sexton to play out of his skin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not 5 mins in, but Sexton has come off injured in the first half 3 times this season so it is a small worry; once v Wales in the ANC, and against Connacht and Dragons in the ProXX. He's also come off injured at least once in the 2nd half too. (The subs during the Leinster games have seemed to be more precautionary tho and he has been a lot more durable of late).

Having said all that, I still don't think it's justification enough to bring Carbery in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »

At least Burns knows what the team is about and trying to do. Carbery hasn't a clue. 75 mibs of a player with no notion what everyone around him is doing certainly doesn't any better to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think you answered your own question, he gets much needed minutes with the squad under Farrel?

Unless the idea is that he is not in the picture, I would have thought getting him back involved as soon as possible was a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I think you answered your own question, he gets much needed minutes with the squad under Farrel?

Unless the idea is that he is not in the picture, I would have thought getting him back involved as soon as possible was a good thing.

I would have thought just playing games would be what he needs and the best place for that right now is with Munster and not rushing to go to international level when he has been out of the game for so long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’d get fewer mins than if he stayed at Munster, where I think he’s likely to start against Benetton on Friday. I think that’s more beneficial to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Carbery needs as many minutes as possible. He won't get that with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we should be picking our 23 based on the conditions and what is going to be asked of them, and Billy Burns’ arse is shaped better for sitting in the stands of the Aviva Stadium for 80 minutes watching Sexton, while Carberry gets meaningful game time

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Tommybojangles

The idea of Carbury being thrown in against England after 2 appearances and one start, after over a year out, with his history, is bananas even for Boards.ie. I'd give him until the end of the season with Munster and even if there was a summer tour I'd let him nowhere near it. Half a season with Munster followed by a break and a pre season all without any incident and I'd be confident in seeing him take the battle to Sexton starting in the Autumn

The idea of Carbury being thrown in against England after 2 appearances and one start, after over a year out, with his history, is bananas even for Boards.ie. I'd give him until the end of the season with Munster and even if there was a summer tour I'd let him nowhere near it. Half a season with Munster followed by a break and a pre season all without any incident and I'd be confident in seeing him take the battle to Sexton starting in the Autumn

If there are Ireland matches following the Rainbow Cup, I don't see an issue with calling him up. He could have about 10 starts under his belt by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sebdavis wrote: »
    The fact he would have zero ideas on calls etc would put him at risk of been in the wrong place at the wrong time

Sounds like he'd slot right in with the rest of the current backline so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

aloooof wrote: »
    Not 5 mins in, but Sexton has come off injured in the first half 3 times this season so it is a small worry; once v Wales in the ANC, and against Connacht and Dragons in the ProXX. He's also come off injured at least once in the 2nd half too. (The subs during the Leinster games have seemed to be more precautionary tho and he has been a lot more durable of late).

Having said all that, I still don't think it's justification enough to bring Carbery in.

Maybe we could have Conway cover 10 from the bench and if sexton goes off he could come on to chase JGP's repeated box kicks.

aloooof wrote: »
    He’d get fewer mins than if he stayed at Munster, where I think he’s likely to start against Benetton on Friday. I think that’s more beneficial to him.
    There is 1 game left in the 6n, he can get all the minutes playing he needs for the rest of the season, but I'd have him back in the squad and on the bench if he is fit enough to play.
    I'm not saying start him, but if he is the likely successor then when fit he should be in the squad.

Either he is fit to play or he isn't, Munster wouldn't be playing him if there was any doubt about injury

Say he comes on for Ireland and his hamstring explodes... So bloody what? This 6n is a write off from a results point of view, use the remaining match to build your future squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Either he is fit to play or he isn't, Munster wouldn't be playing him if there was any doubt about injury

Say he comes on for Ireland and his hamstring explodes... So bloody what? This 6n is a write off from a results point of view, use the remaining match to build your future squad.

You dont throw a guy who has been out for so long into the 6Nations. Why run risk he gets a set back and is out again for some time.
    We can build a future squad without bringing in a talented player who has had a troublesome injury record too early. Let him get consistent game time for Munster and if he can stay fit, get some form and he can come back in for the next international games/camps after this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Realistically, he's as likely to get an injury setback toiling around in the Pro14 as he is in the 6N, but you couldn't just parachute him in at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's great that he's back! But I would wait for the summer tour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At least Burns knows what the team is about and trying to do. Carbery hasn't a clue. 75 mibs of a player with no notion what everyone around him is doing certainly doesn't any better to me.

It feels like this describes the whole backline all tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

sydthebeat wrote: »
    quick question then...
    did you watch the last 3 times ireland played england?

what about the english display do you think was the significant reason for their comprehensive wins?

Great rush defense leading us to make a lot of panicky mistakes. They dominated the breakdown. They took at ball at pace - rarely took the static one out option - so they won the collisions. Very innovative plays, overlaps, sharp crisp passing. Farrell kicked well (not hopeless 10 meter box kicks - highly accurate incisive kicks to the target player to chase or into undefended space).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Tommybojangles

If there are Ireland matches following the Rainbow Cup, I don't see an issue with calling him up. He could have about 10 starts under his belt by then.

I wouldn't see the point. 10 starts in a few months after such a long lay off would be a fair shock to the system. We know his injury history and his quality so you'd gain nothing by bringing him in for end of season tests IMO

I wouldn't see the point. 10 starts in a few months after such a long lay off would be a fair shock to the system. We know his injury history and his quality so you'd gain nothing by bringing him in for end of season tests IMO

He'll probably start on Friday. That makes two starts. Then you have the Pro14 final, European playoffs and the Rainbow Cup. He could make 9 or 10 starts with rest weeks.

• Advertisement

He'll probably start on Friday. That makes two starts. Then you have the Pro14 final, European playoffs and the Rainbow Cup. He could make 9 or 10 starts with rest weeks.

Munster would be absolutely stupid if they push him into playing all those games.

Leinster took a slow slow approach with Henshaw which worked, they tried similar with Leavy and it worked to a point. The operation was a set back.

I would hope someone in Munster would have a bit of cop on and slowly introduce him back into the team. They have Healy and JJ knocking around who have got them to the Pro14 final.

Advertisement