Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical fixture on the fritz, what is landlords obligation?

Options
  • 14-03-2021 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

In a situation like this, what is the tenants rights?

I e-mailed my landlord explaining an electrical fixture had stopped working.

No response.

Gave it a week, e-mailed a reminder.

No response.

It's a built in part of the accommodation so, not a like a lamp or something.

What steps would I take from here?

Am I correct in understanding a landlord is contractually obligated to repair such a fixture?

Before my washing machine broke and I bought one myself and just took it out of the monthly rent until I had been re-compensated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Is it the fridge that is in need of repair? Is the fridge working or is it just the light on the fridge? If so the Landlord is obliged to arrange the repair under minimum standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

what is that mysterious "fixture"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

The only thing you e confirmed was broken was the washing machine which you took upon yourself to replace and then withheld from the rent which is not legally right, rent can’t be withheld

Will wait to hear what the electrical item is before commenting further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

It's the extractor fan light.

You may argue, "not a big deal", but I'd argue, "I use it compulsively".

It's not the bulb, it's the switch mechanism.

It has a awkward click to it, went before, then came back of its own volition.
    Then went again, so I unscrewed it for a look.

The switch mechanism itself is basically shot so no functionality at all now, no light.
    I have to chop my vegetables in a dim kitchen main light.

I didn't want to electrocute myself so screwed it back into place and e-mailed the owners.

Obviously a built in part of the place and to me, a necessity.

The only thing you e confirmed was broken was the washing machine which you took upon yourself to replace and then withheld from the rent which is not legally right, rent can’t be withheld

Will wait to hear what the electrical item is before commenting further

Actually no I let them know immediately and they dragged their heels on replacing it for 6 weeks.

I actually took to hand washing my clothes in my bath tub, having no idea at the time they were legally obliged to replace the damn thing.

Then heard/was-advised of the aforementioned setup, so contacted the LL for clearance to purchase one myself and deduct it from the rent, for which I got the go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

The switch mechanism itself is basically shot so no functionality at all now, no light.

I didn't want to electrocute myself so screwed it back into place and e-mailed the owners.

That’s a non-urgent repair that can’t be done in level 5 restrictions as only emergency works are permitted.

This is also extremely trivial, you can still use the extractor fab and I’m assuming you have lighting in your kitchen aside from this light. Put yourself in the Landlords shoes OP, would you pay an electrician upwards of €85 for a light on an extractor fan when the fan works and you have lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Can you put a brighter bulb in the main light? Pick up a plug in light for a tenner?

There is no way a light in an extractor fan is an essential repair. Sorry OP but I think your reaction is over the top.

Seriously you opened a thread on this. No wonder you didn’t mention in the OP what wasn’t working. As previous poster it’s a non urgent matter during level 5. Most tenants wouldn’t even mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Level 5 restrictions doesn’t preclude the landlord from acknowledging the issue and saying he’ll get it fixed when he’s able to.

No doubt if the landlord discovered the light was broken and he hadn’t been informed he’d be annoyed so he can’t have it both ways.

It is a minor issue though and the Op will just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Smee_Again wrote: »

No doubt if the landlord discovered the light was broken and he hadn’t been informed he’d be annoyed so he can’t have it both ways.

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Level 5 restrictions doesn’t preclude the landlord from acknowledging the issue and saying he’ll get it fixed when he’s able to.

It is a minor issue though and the Op will just have to wait.

This was kind of my thoughts on the matter.

Also it's the landlord that does these repairs himself as he's a building contractor.

I'd be happy to wait if I just got a, "we'll have to wait until after level 5 mate" response, but being blanked in addition to former repairs having been completely neglected (leaky, drafty windows - which I've since used duct tape to seal), and the fiasco with the wash machine I eventually just got to thinking, "something has to be done".

Caranica wrote: »
    Can you put a brighter bulb in the main light? Pick up a plug in light for a tenner?

There is no way a light in an extractor fan is an essential repair. Sorry OP but I think your reaction is over the top.

No I have the highest grade LED's in the main fixture.

Additionally, the main fixture itself doesn't even work that good as it is capacitor based so takes usually about 30 to 45 seconds to even come on when I come into the kitchen, so the extractor fan light is basically main use light in that area.

Thus, when it stopped working - it sucks.

As for a plug in bulb to get me through to the end of level 5, believe or not, electrical outlets in this accommodation simply wouldn't support that.
    I have a dual plug way at the end of the worktop for a microwave and muh rice cooker.

Unless I hooked up an extension cord with a desk lamp - which I couldn't do around the cooking area regardless and would be insanely awkward and potentially dangerous, it just wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lots of drama over a extractor hood bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

As it is something that you can cope without, as a tenant, you have made the landlord aware of it, and I would leave it at that. I think with any non-urgent repairs, it is generally more in the landlord's favour to keep on top of them as they all add up at the end of a tenancy, so I wouldn't worry once the landlord knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No I have the highest grade LED's in the main fixture.

Additionally, the main fixture itself doesn't even work that good as it is capacitor based so takes usually about 30 to 45 seconds to even come on when I come into the kitchen, so the extractor fan light is basically main use light in that area.

Thus, when it stopped working - it sucks.

As for a plug in bulb to get me through to the end of level 5, believe or not, electrical outlets in this accommodation simply wouldn't support that.
    I have a dual plug way at the end of the worktop for a microwave and muh rice cooker.

Unless I hooked up an extension cord with a desk lamp - which I couldn't do around the cooking area regardless and would be insanely awkward and potentially dangerous, it just wouldn't work.

If it's taking 30 seconds to come to full light then you don't have the latest bulbs. 20 years ago some CFL bulbs took ages to warm up, any current bulb should be nearly instant full light

Regardless just turn the lights on a minute before you need to do any work in the kitchen

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's taking 30 seconds to come to full light then you don't have the latest bulbs. 20 years ago some CFL bulbs took ages to warm up, any current bulb should be nearly instant full light

Regardless just turn the lights on a minute before you need to do any work in the kitchen

Nuh uh.

The capacitor in the fixture itself must be wasted, cause I bought the latest bulbs for it and it made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nuh uh.

The capacitor in the fixture itself must be wasted, cause I bought the latest bulbs for it and it made no difference.

Needs a qualified electrician and the landlord needs to sort that. Please be careful

I now have a bedside lamp in the kitchen on one of two 4-plug extension leads as there are only two sockets in the whole kitchen. The light bulb went and the ceiling is too high for me to replace the bulb....

Nuh uh.

LED don’t use capacitor. It is a fluorescent fitting you put an Led in need to bypass the starter /ballast.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Needs a qualified electrician and the landlord needs to sort that. Please be careful

I now have a bedside lamp in the kitchen on one of two 4-plug extension leads as there are only two sockets in the whole kitchen. The light bulb went and the ceiling is too high for me to replace the bulb....
    No it’S classed as minor works. Doesn’t require an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Take out the covid restrictions aspect here as everyone is in agreement that it will have to wait.

As a ll. I’m not sure I would bother hiring an electrician out to repair the bulb. You have lighting in the kitchen albeit not bright enough in your opinion and the extractor fan works. I would decline to repair this imo.

I barely use the light on my own extractor fan and it’s merely a nice thing to have but not a necessity. This would not be part of minimum standards. The fan is working.

I don’t know the full picture of what you are like as a tenant but based on my limited info here. If you are deducting rent without permission and annoying me over a bulb. I would more than likely be upping rent to max amount possible in an effort to get rid of you. Give no lea-way for repairs when possible all a sign that I don’t like you and want you gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Fol20 wrote: »
    I don’t know the full picture of what you are like as a tenant but based on my limited info here. If you are deducting rent without permission and annoying me over a bulb. I would more than likely be upping rent to max amount possible in an effort to get rid of you. Give no lea-way for repairs when possible all a sign that I don’t like you and want you gone.

Great attitude. It was his washing machine for god sake, with no response from landlord. Best of luck raising rent in an RPZ, if this property is in one.

Covid restriction repair, no, but a repair needed, yes. The apartment I moved into required a bulb in the extractor fan, and it does make a massive difference to cooking. It all depends on the surrounding light in the apartment which is probably pretty poor from description and the fact this is something the tenant wants fixed.

Take out the covid restrictions aspect here as everyone is in agreement that it will have to wait.

As a ll. I’m not sure I would bother hiring an electrician out to repair the bulb. You have lighting in the kitchen albeit not bright enough in your opinion and the extractor fan works. I would decline to repair this imo.

It's not the bulb, it's the switch, which lights the bulb.

And the fixture is so old, there's no way he's getting a replacement switch, the entire lighting fixture/circuit will need replacing.
    I barely use the light on my own extractor fan and it’s merely a nice thing to have but not a necessity. This would not be part of minimum standards. The fan is working.

Lucky for you.

Like I outlined, my main light blows (aka sucks), and yes the other poster was right it's not LED but the fluorescent kind that has to charge to come on, and it take about 30 second each time to do so.

I already replaced it with a modern bulb but clearly it's the fixture that's faulty.

So, I never complained about the poor main lighting before cause my extractor fan bulbs light my workspace and it was all good, but now that's gone.

Ees probleem.

I'm an exceptionally good tenant.

As I outlined, I sought permission for rent deduction and received it in writing before proceeding (after 6 weeks of handwashing clothes).

If you class "annoying" as one message with a video clip of the defective fixture for clarity, then I'd say you're too sensitive.

There's actually a bunch of stuff that needs repairing like window handles that would fall off if I used them and drafty windows that need a replacement gasket (I sealed the rim with duct tape) but aside from pointing this out the day I moved in to which I received an, "okay I'll be in touch", I never once raised any complaint.

Specifically because I know the LL is kind of touchy about doing any work or being bothered in general.

It was given to me in decent shape, well kitted out, freshly painted and it's a seriously nice place.

So, I typically get by however I can until - I can't.

And, given the poor lighting setup in the area in question, it's become something that is essential to repair.

Great attitude. It was his washing machine for god sake, with no response from landlord. Best of luck raising rent in an RPZ, if this property is in one.

Covid restriction repair, no, but a repair needed, yes. The apartment I moved into required a bulb in the extractor fan, and it does make a massive difference to cooking. It all depends on the surrounding light in the apartment which is probably pretty poor from description and the fact this is something the tenant wants fixed.

The washing machine was the first issue reported and he deducted it from the rent(not allowed unless explicitly granted by ll)

The tenants current issue is a light bulb in the extractor fan. If i have a tenant that is annoying me over a light bulb, im sure it isnt the only thing they are pestering the ll for. If i like my tenant, i might replace the extractor fan etc but if im getting a lot of bs calls, i will flat out reject anything unless its a min requirement and would open me up to liability.

A light bulb is not a requirement that ll has to provide given the lights on the ceiling work. Its a nicety not a necessity

It's not the bulb, it's the switch, which lights the bulb.

And the fixture is so old, there's no way he's getting a replacement switch, the entire lighting fixture/circuit will need replacing.

I'm an exceptionally good tenant.

As I outlined, I sought permission for rent deduction and received it in writing before proceeding (after 6 weeks of handwashing clothes).

If you class "annoying" as one message with a video clip of the defective fixture for clarity, then I'd say you're too sensitive.

There's actually a bunch of stuff that needs repairing like window handles that would fall off if I used them and drafty windows that need a replacement gasket (I sealed the rim with duct tape) but aside from pointing this out the day I moved in to which I received an, "okay I'll be in touch", I never once raised any complaint.

So, I typically get by however I can until - I can't.

And, given the poor lighting setup in the area in question, it's become something that is essential to repair.

It doesnt matter if its the switch or the lighting, either way you want better lighting for the extractor fan - this is a person choice and i wouldnt consider it essential.

i missed the part where you sought permission for the rent deduction - then that piece is fine.

Most tenants think they are exceptionally good. if you are paying rent on time, this does not make you a great tenant. If on the other hand, you are telling me to sort out the switch for the bulb on the extractor fan(ie replace extractor fan), i would consider this annoying if you are pushing me on this rather than just giving me the heads up to protect your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

The OP is getting unnecessary stick here. He's paying for a service and it's not working. As he's stated, it's not the bulb but the switch.

I'd pick up the phone and call the landlord seeing as the route of email is being ignored.

The OP is getting unnecessary stick here. He's paying for a service and it's not working. As he's stated, it's not the bulb but the switch.

I'd pick up the phone and call the landlord seeing as the route of email is being ignored.

It’s a minor inconvenience that can not be fixed in current restrictions...maybe you haven’t read the thread

The washing machine was the first issue reported and he deducted it from the rent(not allowed unless explicitly granted by ll)

The tenants current issue is a light bulb in the extractor fan. If i have a tenant that is annoying me over a light bulb, im sure it isnt the only thing they are pestering the ll for. If i like my tenant, i might replace the extractor fan etc but if im getting a lot of bs calls, i will flat out reject anything unless its a min requirement and would open me up to liability.

A light bulb is not a requirement that ll has to provide given the lights on the ceiling work. Its a nicety not a necessity

1. It was explicitly allowed by the LL, as it was the easiest way out for the lazy sod
    2. It’s for the switch, not the lightbulb. Electrical fault with the unit causing the appliance to not work as intended. The tenant is offering a simple solution here rather than replacement
    3. Number of issues reported by tenant = 2. Is that excessive to you?

• Advertisement

1. It was explicitly allowed by the LL, as it was the easiest way out for the lazy sod
    2. It’s for the switch, not the lightbulb. Electrical fault with the unit causing the appliance to not work as intended. The tenant is offering a simple solution here rather than replacement
    3. Number of issues reported by tenant = 2. Is that excessive to you?

Advertisement