Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical fixture on the fritz, what is landlords obligation?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WertdeerSC

Amazon sell rechargeable led strip lights which attach under the top kitchen units, they seem to have pretty decent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

It’s a minor inconvenience that can not be fixed in current restrictions...maybe you haven’t read the thread

I think it's you who hasn't read the thread, or my reply for that matter. Minor inconvenience or not, the landlord still has to get it fixed. It's not a lightbulb blown. He's not replying to emails. He has a duty to fix this broken fixture.

Sure, it can be done when restrictions are eased but the lack of response would be enough for me to light a fire under the landlord. The OP has even said that he can wait but wants it acknowledged. Not sure why you're taking the hump about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I think it's you who hasn't read the thread, or my reply for that matter. Minor inconvenience or not, the landlord still has to get it fixed. It's not a lightbulb blown. He's not replying to emails. He has a duty to fix this broken fixture.

Sure, it can be done when restrictions are eased but the lack of response would be enough for me to light a fire under the landlord. The OP has even said that he can wait but wants it acknowledged. Not sure why you're taking the hump about it?

Some people need attention, need acknowledgement. How many properties or tenants or workload do you think landlord has? Can the tenant not accept landlord will deal with it when it’s possible without getting a pat on the back for reporting something minor. It might be fixed in April it might be next year when something is needed, it’s hardly worthy of a call out by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That’s a non-urgent repair that can’t be done in level 5 restrictions as only emergency works are permitted.

This is also extremely trivial, you can still use the extractor fab and I’m assuming you have lighting in your kitchen aside from this light. Put yourself in the Landlords shoes OP, would you pay an electrician upwards of €85 for a light on an extractor fan when the fan works and you have lighting?

That happened in our house. I got a new bulb for it, but it wasnt the bulb, it was the switch that was broken.
    Solution was to buy a sticky battery powered light from Amazon for £2 (cheaper now because there is no vat :)). Batteries havent gone in it yet over a year later. It switches on when you move near it.

If I was the landlord id just buy one of those sticky lights and stick it up on the extractor for sure. You dont pay €100s to change a whole unit because a small part of it is broken. Just replace the broken part with another source of light. Job done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP - why don't you get decent LED overhead bulbs?
    I've replaced 6 in the kitchen here- with photographic grade 4000k LED bulbs- the postman says Dublin Airport are probably jealous of how well lit my kitchen is........

You won't get them in a regular supermarket- and they will cost you a little bit- but its nice to be able to see properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

OP - why don't you get decent LED overhead bulbs?
    I've replaced 6 in the kitchen here- with photographic grade 4000k LED bulbs- the postman says Dublin Airport are probably jealous of how well lit my kitchen is........

You won't get them in a regular supermarket- and they will cost you a little bit- but its nice to be able to see properly.

You mean actual fixture bulbs, not sticky LED strip lighting?

My overhead light is fluorescent so to accommodate them would involve replacing the entire fixture.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    That happened in our house. I got a new bulb for it, but it wasnt the bulb, it was the switch that was broken.
    Solution was to buy a sticky battery powered light from Amazon for £2 (cheaper now because there is no vat :)). Batteries havent gone in it yet over a year later. It switches on when you move near it.

If I was the landlord id just buy one of those sticky lights and stick it up on the extractor for sure. You dont pay €100s to change a whole unit because a small part of it is broken. Just replace the broken part with another source of light. Job done.

Got a link for the ones you bought?

I did buy those LED spot lights mentioned/linked earlier in the thread - which were useless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You mean actual fixture bulbs, not sticky LED strip lighting?

My overhead light is fluorescent so to accommodate them would involve replacing the entire fixture.

Sorry- I seem to have missed that part.
    I simply don't understand in this day and age why anyone uses flourescent fixtures any more.

Re: replacing the switch- Woodies do the switches, I think I paid EUR 18-20 (it was a while ago) for one- and they are open, if you'd like to do a little DIY......?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Got a link for the ones you bought?

I did buy those LED spot lights mentioned/linked earlier in the thread - which were useless.

Just checked there and they dont have the ones I was talking about anymore, but there is another option, which i got too for a desk and they are excellent.
    LED motion activated lights. Very easy to stick up and the battery lasts forever. You can even get usb ones.

Loads of choices here
    https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-motion-sensor-led-strip.html?albagn=888888&&src=google&albch=search&acnt=479-062-3723&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=12368716241&albag=118463975912&slnk=&trgt=dsa-42862830006&plac=&crea=499556369740&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=b&memo1=&albbt=Google_7_search&aff_platform=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYoth3r3pAmYg8FG9080GQAx5irfuF3NrJNfJ_AgD_N-aekcTILj3DMaAveAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes the other poster was right it's not LED but the fluorescent kind that has to charge to come on, and it take about 30 second each time to do so.

you could replace the fitting, or simply changing the starter should get it to start faster. (sometimes just taking it out and back in works)

https://www.woodies.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=light+starter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-10-Universal-Starter-White/dp/B003AFXJXC/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=light+starter&qid=1615895822&sr=8-9

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    As it is something that you can cope without, as a tenant, you have made the landlord aware of it, and I would leave it at that. I think with any non-urgent repairs, it is generally more in the landlord's favour to keep on top of them as they all add up at the end of a tenancy, so I wouldn't worry once the landlord knows!

I'm gonna bow out with this advice.

I dropped in the electrical shop earlier and it's actually a super easy fix which I'd do myself only he explained replacing the mechanism I'd need a new bore hole as the sizing of the old one doesn't match.

So I'd need a drill and screw sockets etc., which I don't have.

Otherwise I'd do it myself (replacement part was 32 euro).

Will replace the starter in the main room light and hopefully that alleviates the delay issue.

Beyond that just wait for level 5 to let up and hopefully this dude gets his arse in gear but yeah I feel it might be counter productive to push the issue any further at this point (he returned my call acknowledging the issue and making every excuse in the book for not being able to do it and I'd basically have to do without).

In other news, some half in the bag old man punter just banged on my door looking for a woman named "Sasha" (presumably a hooker judging her pseudonym and his appearance).

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm gonna bow out with this advice.

I dropped in the electrical shop earlier and it's actually a super easy fix which I'd do myself only he explained replacing the mechanism I'd need a new bore hole as the sizing of the old one doesn't match.

So I'd need a drill and screw sockets etc., which I don't have.

Otherwise I'd do it myself (replacement part was 32 euro).

Will replace the starter in the main room light and hopefully that alleviates the delay issue.

Beyond that just wait for level 5 to let up and hopefully this dude gets his arse in gear but yeah I feel it might be counter productive to push the issue any further at this point (he returned my call acknowledging the issue and making every excuse in the book for not being able to do it and I'd basically have to do without).

In other news, some half in the bag old man punter just banged on my door looking for a woman named "Sasha" (presumably a hooker judging her pseudonym and his appearance).

:pac:

Maybe that's the reason for the poor lighting. Someone was seeing too much.

Advertisement