Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying beside Croke Park advice

Options
  • 14-03-2021 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on buying beside Croke park & what the area is like in general. There is a house on daft that has just gone up recently on Fitzroy avenue but my partner and I know very little about the area. Croke park is within view of the doorstep of the house. It's outside our 5km so we are unable to visit the area and walk around and get a feel for it. All thoughts welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭katy39

Its a very nice area thou I would not think it wise to buy house without viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

I lived a bit away ( between CP and Drumcondra) many years ago and it was a nightmare when the big matches are on. Streets cordoned off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

HenryOR76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on buying beside Croke park & what the area is like in general. There is a house on daft that has just gone up recently on Fitzroy avenue but my partner and I know very little about the area. Croke park is within view of the doorstep of the house. It's outside our 5km so we are unable to visit the area and walk around and get a feel for it. All thoughts welcome, thanks.

as long as you can accept that you've no right to give out about matches, noise, cordons, concerts etc.. in the future then have at it. You choose to live near the stadium, it didn't show up to your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Its a lovely area OP, I used to work in the area.

Depends on how you feel about "match days" tough, can be a bit mad......Might be some time before they are back tough

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HenryOR76

Thanks all. Obviously well aware if a concert is on how loud that would be, but no idea how loud the match would be when ongoing for surrounding residents would anyone know?! (Aware this will depend on the house and windows etc. but just in general for an idea!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

HenryOR76 wrote: »
    Thanks all. Obviously well aware if a concert is on how loud that would be, but no idea how loud the match would be when ongoing for surrounding residents would anyone know?! (Aware this will depend on the house and windows etc. but just in general for an idea!)

If your happy with your street being used as a urinal on match days go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

This! It’s not the noise OP, ask what it would be like living in the centre of temple bar on a normal Saturday night. Be prepared to be trapped in your home on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I lived on Russell Ave for nearly four years. The area itself is very nice IMO, neighbours are friendly and approachable and the locality is good too. The houses themselves around Russell Ave, Fitzroy Ave etc are IMO very nice and inside are quite spacious. Generally you have a decent plot of land too with a nice garden and so on.

What can anyone say about the busyness of Croke Park? It's a non-stop beast. Talking to my old housemates a few months ago we all joked about how much of an easy time you'd have living around there in Covid times because of the peace and quiet. I would absolutely not buy a house in that area unless you have realistic knowledge of what a match day or concert day is like. Match days in my experience were a nuisance for minor things like moving you car but also depending on the match/outcome etc you could be "trapped" in the house for longer than you thought. The noise is loud and you'll know what's going on but I never found it awful or even annoying. Concerts are an entirely different animal. Personally I would never ever choose to live near a potential concert venue like Croke Park again. Between the setup, rehearsals, emergency drills, the actual day of the event, the aftermath, drunks pissing and puking all over you cars and garden etc. It's just not nice. Dealing with the Gardaí on these days can be a pain too, obviously they're under pressure. We also had a lot of noise and traffic from the hotel, don't discount that because it's a busy enough event centre. You always have tourists milling around the area and heading into the museum.

Really really advise you to do a lot of research on this because buying in that location in the current situation is a minefield. Unless you know what to expect and are grand with 10s of thousands of people milling around several times a year etc of course.

I have a friend who lives within view of Croke Park. She loves the area, but says its royal PITA whenever there are any events on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

As far as I know you get free tickets to concerts or is it a lottery?

• Advertisement

Talguetler wrote: »
    I lived on Russell Ave for nearly four years. The area itself is very nice IMO, neighbours are friendly and approachable and the locality is good too. The houses themselves around Russell Ave, Fitzroy Ave etc are IMO very nice and inside are quite spacious. Generally you have a decent plot of land too with a nice garden and so on.

What can anyone say about the busyness of Croke Park? It's a non-stop beast. Talking to my old housemates a few months ago we all joked about how much of an easy time you'd have living around there in Covid times because of the peace and quiet. I would absolutely not buy a house in that area unless you have realistic knowledge of what a match day or concert day is like. Match days in my experience were a nuisance for minor things like moving you car but also depending on the match/outcome etc you could be "trapped" in the house for longer than you thought. The noise is loud and you'll know what's going on but I never found it awful or even annoying. Concerts are an entirely different animal. Personally I would never ever choose to live near a potential concert venue like Croke Park again. Between the setup, rehearsals, emergency drills, the actual day of the event, the aftermath, drunks pissing and puking all over you cars and garden etc. It's just not nice. Dealing with the Gardaí on these days can be a pain too, obviously they're under pressure. We also had a lot of noise and traffic from the hotel, don't discount that because it's a busy enough event centre. You always have tourists milling around the area and heading into the museum.

Really really advise you to do a lot of research on this because buying in that location in the current situation is a minefield. Unless you know what to expect and are grand with 10s of thousands of people milling around several times a year etc of course.
    Thanks so much for this response, was exactly the kind of information we were looking for from people that have lived in the area and experienced what it's like. Much appreciated!! Definitely having second thoughts now..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Hi OP,
    I live on the opposite side of the city and have the Aviva stadium on my doorstep. Match days are a nightmare and they're less frequent here than in Croker. The noise never bothered me but street sellers, antisocial behavior before/after matches, rubbish and broken glass everywhere including my driveway, public urination etc. are the issue. Also the fact that you're essentially a prisoner in your own home on match days, if you take the car out you can't get back in until hrs after the match... From what I know Drumcondra is a great area but I'd strongly consider living near a stadium!

Hi OP,
    I live on the opposite side of the city and have the Aviva stadium on my doorstep. Match days are a nightmare and they're less frequent here than in Croker. The noise never bothered me but street sellers, antisocial behavior before/after matches, rubbish and broken glass everywhere including my driveway, public urination etc. are the issue. Also the fact that you're essentially a prisoner in your own home on match days, if you take the car out you can't get back in until hrs after the match... From what I know Drumcondra is a great area but I'd strongly consider living near a stadium!
    Thank you for this, good to know and also really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Some of the replies here seem a bit dramatic to me or perhaps from people making assumptions and never actually lived there? Anywhere in Dublin City is going to have people busling around and have traffic issues at peak times. Depends on what you are looking for OP. if you want a city location town house where you can into the centre in less than 20 mins then this is the area for you.

Or if you want peace and quiet and a big back garden for the kids, you'll need to go further afield.

I think you should go and view and walk around the area and see for yourself if the house is in your price range.

Lived in the area for years. Never had an issue and neighbors were always lovely - great little community so close to the city it was charming. Found the area very peaceful personally. Never had a bother walking around on my own at night or anything. Would I venture down Dorset street alone at 1am? No, but I also wouldn't walk down O' Connell St or in fact any Dublin city centre street alone at that hour!

Match days and 4 concerts a year is not a big deal to me. I know about them in advance and plan around them. Got free tickets 2/3 times so that certainly helped my attitude :D Never had issues with people destroying our little garden and I remember the Croke Park committee would do a street clean to ensure all litter etc was taken away. My car was always parked outside the door, never had any issues to it.

Also rented near the 3 arena for years and that never bothered me either. Maybe I'm just too chill :cool::P

Best of luck with the house hunt.

Edit: another handy point, when within 2km of Croke Park, the roads are closed to residents only on match days, you show your pass to enter. I actually think it would be really awful to be just outside the radius and have no gardai protection - can only imagine match goers will hog the car parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP ask anybody who's ever been to croke park or the aviva for a match or a concert - the whole area is bedlam for the day/night, crowds drinking outside, garda barriers everywhere, buses and trains chocca, can't drive or cycle and dangerous for anyone who uses a wheelchair. It doesn't bother some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think its ok to buy there ,as long as you know it
    will be busy on match days , days when theres a concert.
    most matchs are on saturday ,sunday.
    if you are a easygoing person its ok.
    And it depends is the house on a direct route to the stadium or in a side street ,cul de sac.
    1000,s of people leaving or going to a match make noise, drop litter etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Prepare to be locked in for weekends during the summer if the GAA are having matches. Pissing in doorways a regular occurrence. Funny how they get a few days of it in Portobello and the place is shut down, whereas residents near and not so near Croke Park have to just put up with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah. My parents live nearby and I was visiting one All Ireland final day, was going out to my car after the game to find two lads pissing on my car :rolleyes:

About 20 cars, lots of walls and corners to piss on and they chose my car. :mad:

I would not live near a stadium if I could choose not to, my parents hadn't any choice about where they ended up but you would not choose to live there when matchdays come around.

If you want to go out you need to go out and be back very early as you will either be stuck in traffic trying to get home, have nowhere to park or be stuck behind cordons
    Public urination
    Prisoner in your home on matchdays, so at least one day of pretty much every weekend during the championship - then you have concerts to consider
    Matches can finish late so traffic can still be very heavy if you are trying to get out at night (my mam struggling to get to bingo on Sunday nights for 8pm for example :D)

My folks are off the main thoroughfares and where they are is only really used for parking so the miss the anti-social behaviour etc really but if they want to go out to the shops etc they are in the thick of it

Not many days of it out of 365 in a year but it's annoying when it happens

Advertisement