Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking permit price?

Options
  • 14-03-2021 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I'm looking at renting a studio in Portobello. There is six apartments in the converted house. There is one parking space in the driveway. I know the cost is 400 per year if there is off street parking available but would it still cost me that much considering there is only one space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

If there is on-street parking you could get a permit from Dublin City Council which is around 100e a year or thereabouts. However a driveway parking spot in Portobello is probably more desirable and €400 a year isn't bad for the location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I don’t understand op post. Is the private off street parking space on private grounds available to rent from the owner at €400 a year? More likely that per month.

I don’t understand reference to cost and comparison to on street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm reading it as - if you have off street parking available, the cost of an on street parking permit rises from 100 to 400. The OP's building has such off street parking but only one space despite 6 units in the property. So they are asking if they would be eligible to only pay the 100 price rather than 400.

The answer is no as far as I know, but worth checking with Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You should check this out before signing up to the lease. It’s likely to be a “heavy demand” toad and, in some circumstances, there is no ability to issue further permits in any event. Also, if the house has not been formally converted to 6 units then, irrespective of how much you are willing to pay, there would likely only be one permit across all six properties. The parking Dept are good at answering emails. If parking is important to you, I would check this out before committing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Orlak2410

If there is on-street parking you could get a permit from Dublin City Council which is around 100e a year or thereabouts. However a driveway parking spot in Portobello is probably more desirable and €400 a year isn't bad for the location

I've read that it's €50 for one year or €80 for two years in a low demand or high demand area providing there is no off street parking available. If there is off street parking available (which there technically is) its €400 for one year or €750 for two years. There is one parking spot in the driveway of the house but the landlord said I cannot use it because he likes to use it when he is calling out to service the property he owns in the area.

• Advertisement

I don’t understand op post. Is the private off street parking space on private grounds available to rent from the owner at €400 a year? More likely that per month.

I don’t understand reference to cost and comparison to on street parking.

Yes it's the driveway of the house of which I'm wanting to rent an apartment in. The landlord said I cannot use it and have to get a permit. I'm wondering how much the permit would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    I've read that it's €50 for one year or €80 for two years in a low demand or high demand area providing there is no off street parking available. If there is off street parking available (which there technically is) its €400 for one year or €750 for two years. There is one parking spot in the driveway of the house but the landlord said I cannot use it because he likes to use it when he is calling out to service the property he owns in the area.

Does the landlord live in the property? If not he can like to use it all he wants but he can't. You and the other tenants are entitled to the driveway not the landlord.

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm reading it as - if you have off street parking available, the cost of an on street parking permit rises from 100 to 400. The OP's building has such off street parking but only one space despite 6 units in the property. So they are asking if they would be eligible to only pay the 100 price rather than 400.

The answer is no as far as I know, but worth checking with Dublin City Council.
    That's not really fair though considering I don't have a choice to park off street.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Does the landlord live in the property? If not he can like to use it all he wants but he can't. You and the other tenants are entitled to the driveway not the landlord.

No he doesn't. I thought it was a bit unfair as well but the agent representing him said that that's the condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't think that is right. The landlord could rent the parking space separately to the property, so no reason the property can't be rented by itself without the parking space.

OP maybe contact the council and say there is no parking included in property, maybe show them ad if it states that, even see if you can get a letter from landlord stating that would they accept that.

That said if you like the place it works out as less than a euro a day difference between the permits so shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I don't think that is right. The landlord could rent the parking space separately to the property, so no reason the property can't be rented by itself without the parking space.

OP maybe contact the council and say there is no parking included in property, maybe show them ad if it states that, even see if you can get a letter from landlord stating that would they accept that.

That said if you like the place it works out as less than a euro a day difference between the permits so shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Okay I see. If the permit was 400 per year that would be a deal breaker.

I wouldn't take it for granted that you will be able to get a parking space even if you get a permit.

I know of a person who had their car damaged for parking outside someones house in 'someone else's spot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As the property is in 6 units, this doesn't apply.

ronoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't take it for granted that you will be able to get a parking space even if you get a permit.

I know of a person who had their car damaged for parking outside someones house in 'someone else's spot'.
    That's the risk you take isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's not really fair though considering I don't have a choice to park off street.

Most properties in that area would come without parking, being so close to the city centre. Talk to the council and see what they say.

Caranica wrote: »
    Most properties in that area would come without parking, being so close to the city centre. Talk to the council and see what they say.

They probably wouldn't even know if there was a driveway in the house. I rang them and they said there is one available for that property but would not tell me the price

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

A building will have an allocation of on road parking spots.

Where I lived had 4 apartments and 2 spots.

I was lucky and only one was active, I found this out by contacting DCC. I simply registered my car insurance at the address and provided another proof of address.

Its purely first come first served of the "allocation", its 80 for two years, the additional issue is that previous tenants must release the disk or you have to wait for their two years to expire. Technically, they could renew for 2 years prior to leaving.

Dubal

dubal wrote: »
    A building will have an allocation of on road parking spots.

Where I lived had 4 apartments and 2 spots.

I was lucky and only one was active, I found this out by contacting DCC. I simply registered my car insurance at the address and provided another proof of address.

Its purely first come first served of the "allocation", its 80 for two years, the additional issue is that previous tenants must release the disk or you have to wait for their two years to expire. Technically, they could renew for 2 years prior to leaving.

Dubal
    I rang the council and they said there is one available. Registering your car insurance at the address is another big expense as insurance tends to be dearer in urban areas. I hope it is only that price as there is a driveway with room for one car, but that does not mean that off street parking is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I rang the council and they said there is one available. Registering your car insurance at the address is another big expense as insurance tends to be dearer in urban areas. I hope it is only that price as there is a driveway with room for one car, but that does not mean that off street parking is available.

FFS, now you want your cake and eat it too. If it’s not insured at the address then it is either because it is not your principal address or you are obtaining insurance by deception. In the first case, you are not entitled to a residents permit (unless you are a carer for a resident at that address) or in the latter case you are committing an offence. Which is it?

Marcusm wrote: »
    FFS, now you want your cake and eat it too. If it’s not insured at the address then it is either because it is not your principal address or you are obtaining insurance by deception. In the first case, you are not entitled to a residents permit (unless you are a carer for a resident at that address) or in the latter case you are committing an offence. Which is it?

No need to get abusive. I was just saying that it will be more expensive to insure my car at that address than where I am now on top of the potential cost of 400 euro annually for a permit. I was not saying that I would not do it (you have to anyway to get a permit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

No need to get abusive. I was just saying that it will be more expensive to insure my car at that address than where I am now on top of the potential cost of 400 euro annually for a permit. I was not saying that I would not do it (you have to anyway to get a permit)

You have to anyway to insure your car not just to get permit...T&C of insuring your car is that you state where the car will be parked overnight.

Why is €400 such an issue. Based on location people pay that to rent a parking space per month. I'm not understanding why you need permit to park in a driveway as i persume it is on private property not DCC property but thats just me not understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I lived in Portobello few years ago and applied to DCC for parking permit - think it was €80 for 2 years and was valid for anywhere on street I lived on. As someone else mentioned above I think there may be limit of number of permits per block of apartments - have you contacted DCC to see if there is one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The question may be moot, as you can't even apply for a permit until your car is registered to the address. In other words, you'd have to sign a lease and move in to be able to collect post before you'd find out if the plan is a possibility at all.

You have to anyway to insure your car not just to get permit...T&C of insuring your car is that you state where the car will be parked overnight.

Why is €400 such an issue. Based on location people pay that to rent a parking space per month. I'm not understanding why you need permit to park in a driveway as i persume it is on private property not DCC property but thats just me not understanding.

I don't know why you and that other user insist in schooling me on car insurance ethics. I was only saying that it is another expense that I would rather not have on top of a possible 400 euro parking permit. My issue with the 400 euro is that I should only have to pay 50 euro. There is no off street parking available to me. There is one space in the driveway that the LL said I can't use.

messrs wrote: »
    I lived in Portobello few years ago and applied to DCC for parking permit - think it was €80 for 2 years and was valid for anywhere on street I lived on. As someone else mentioned above I think there may be limit of number of permits per block of apartments - have you contacted DCC to see if there is one available?

Yes I have and they told me that there is only one available. My concern is that they will want to charge me 400 euro per yer instead of 50 because there is a parking space in the driveway of the house that I am not allowed use.

endacl wrote: »
    The question may be moot, as you can't even apply for a permit until your car is registered to the address. In other words, you'd have to sign a lease and move in to be able to collect post before you'd find out if the plan is a possibility at all.

It isn't a very efficient system then is it? What are people suppose to do with there cars while they are waiting? Pay €2.70 per hour for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Did you not ask the council the price of the permit when you were on the phone to them?

Did you not ask the council the price of the permit when you were on the phone to them?

No I did not. I am going to call back and ask them. Would they know if there is a driveway in the house or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Yes I have and they told me that there is only one available. My concern is that they will want to charge me 400 euro per yer instead of 50 because there is a parking space in the driveway of the house that I am not allowed use.

I dont think they would be aware of the property having a driving space. As far as they are concerned you are applying for a parking permit for street parking because you dont have parking on the property imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It isn't a very efficient system then is it? What are people suppose to do with there cars while they are waiting? Pay €2.70 per hour for a few weeks.

It's inconvenient, but if it wasn't that way what's to stop everybody working in the area applying for a parking permit, claiming they're about to move in?

Advertisement