Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking permit price?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Orlak2410

messrs wrote: »
    I dont think they would be aware of the property having a driving space. As far as they are concerned you are applying for a parking permit for street parking because you dont have parking on the property imo

I think they would know because they are the council. They have access to the plans of the property and I'm sure they check that.

endacl wrote: »
    It's inconvenient, but if it wasn't that way what's to stop everybody working in the area applying for a parking permit, claiming they're about to move in?

They could make it a punishable offence to do so. Anyway, nobody would be bothered doing that. They know they wouldn't get away with it. They'd be found d out before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    I think they would know because they are the council. They have access to the plans of the property and I'm sure they check that.

But even at that there is only one parking space there so you just tell them its for the LL use only or whoever uses it and you dont have access to it so you need the permit for street parking

But even at that there is only one parking space there so you just tell them its for the LL use only or whoever uses it and you dont have access to it so you need the permit for street parking

Yeah I will. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s not a question of whether there is off street parking available to the particular resident but whether it is available at the house at all. The particular property has been split into 6 units and would become an inappropriate burden on local facilities. Likely, it is either unapproved or existed pre 1 October 1964. Today, it would not be Sanrio Ed unless appropriate provision was made re parking. The increased annual charge for multi unit dwellings is one way of achieving that. It should be €400 but it might not be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It isn't a very efficient system then is it? What are people suppose to do with there cars while they are waiting? Pay €2.70 per hour for a few weeks.

You should be able to get some visitor parking permits from one of your neighbours, or the landlord. They are about €2 per day I think.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s not a question of whether there is off street parking available to the particular resident but whether it is available at the house at all. The particular property has been split into 6 units and would become an inappropriate burden on local facilities. Likely, it is either unapproved or existed pre 1 October 1964. Today, it would not be Sanrio Ed unless appropriate provision was made re parking. The increased annual charge for multi unit dwellings is one way of achieving that. It should be €400 but it might not be.

Most of the houses on the road are split into apartments and most of the houses have no driveway. Lets say each house has 6 units and there is 2 or 3 permits allowed for each house. Because there houses have no driveway, they would only have to pay €50 annually for a permit. Because there is a driveway in my house with space for one car (that I'm not allowed use), I might have to pay €400 annually. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Effects wrote: »
    You should be able to get some visitor parking permits from one of your neighbours, or the landlord. They are about €2 per day I think.

I'll look into that but I'd say there is a maximum amount of days or hours

No I did not. I am going to call back and ask them. Would they know if there is a driveway in the house or not?

I rang them today and asked how much the permit would be considering there is a driveway with space for one car. They said it will probably only be 50 but it could be 400 and I won't know until I send in the application and it is processed. That means moving in, changing all of my details over to that address so I have proof that I live there in order to get the permit, and then only to find d out that it could be 400. I can't risk it. Terrible the way it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No I did not. I am going to call back and ask them. Would they know if there is a driveway in the house or not?

This is what you should have done in the first place, ask the Council not the internet. You need to move on this sooner rather than later.

Parking is no longer deemed essential in building terms within the city boundary or near transport hubs. Where 10 years ago you would have needed 1.5 spaces per 2-3 bedroom unit, new developments are getting planning permission with less than 1 space per unit. This will filter into council policies soon enough too.

Parking clearly isn't available at the property but you can apply for a permit and one is available. While you're talking about it, someone in one of the other units might apply for it. It really isn't something to delay getting sorted if you need it.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    This is what you should have done in the first place, ask the Council not the internet. You need to move on this sooner rather than later.

Parking is no longer deemed essential in building terms within the city boundary or near transport hubs. Where 10 years ago you would have needed 1.5 spaces per 2-3 bedroom unit, new developments are getting planning permission with less than 1 space per unit. This will filter into council policies soon enough too.

Parking clearly isn't available at the property but you can apply for a permit and one is available. While you're talking about it, someone in one of the other units might apply for it. It really isn't something to delay getting sorted if you need it.

Your right but I thought I might have found some answers on boards. I rang them today and they said that it could be €50 or €400 because there is technically parking available. They also said nobody has ever applied for a permit at that address before so they can't even predict how much it would be. They said I'll have to send in the application and then I'll find out how much it is. It essentailly means moving in and changing everything over to that address and getting all the proof I need to apply for the permit not knowing how much it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your right but I thought I might have found some answers on boards. I rang them today and they said that it could be €50 or €400 because there is technically parking available. They also said nobody has ever applied for a permit at that address before so they can't even predict how much it would be. They said I'll have to send in the application and then I'll find out how much it is. It essentailly means moving in and changing everything over to that address and getting all the proof I need to apply for the permit not knowing how much it will be.

Your complaining that you might need to spend just over a Euro a day for on street parking close to the centre of the capital city!

If you are living and working in Dublin you shouldn't need a car. So get rid of the car, move into the place close to the city centre and hire a car for any trips you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

The reason they can't confirm the price is simple. There is one allocated spot at 50, but there is nothing stopping another resident taking it before you. Subsequent spots are 400

They can't confirm a price as they don't know if someone else will request one first.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your complaining that you might need to spend just over a Euro a day for on street parking close to the centre of the capital city!

If you are living and working in Dublin you shouldn't need a car. So get rid of the car, move into the place close to the city centre and hire a car for any trips you need.

That's not very fair of you to say. Not all of us have enough money to be able to have that mentality. The rent is 1000 per month, I need a car for work, my insurance is going to go up about €800, so yeah I am pissed off at the prospect of paying 400 instead of 50.

dubal wrote: »
    The reason they can't confirm the price is simple. There is one allocated spot at 50, but there is nothing stopping another resident taking it before you. Subsequent spots are 400

They can't confirm a price as they don't know if someone else will request one first.

It could be that but the man said that it's because there is a parking spot in the driveway of the house so it's up to who ever processes my application

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dubal wrote: »

That's not how it works. There are no "allocated spaces" in permit parking.

Residents (or units in this case) in houses on a street can apply for a permit to park on the street. If there is off-street parking at the address, then the higher tarriff applies.

I thought the OP could just say that there was no off-street parking available, as in effect there isn't for her - but looking at the way the form is worded, you'd actually have to be lying in writing, and while the chances of getting caught out in that are fairly low I'd imagine, I can understand if she wouldn't want to do that.

It's a difficult one, OP - my gut feeling is that you'll get the lower priced disc, but then it's not my €€ in question.

Maybe attach a note to your application, explaining clearly that while there is an off-street space it's not available to you (would the agent provide that in writing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Well when I talked to DCC.

They simply looked up the address on their system. Said it had two allocated on street spots (I.e parking permit to park anywhere on particular named street).

Then they said one was in use, and long as nobody applied before me, and I had the correct documents it was 50 for a year or 80 for two.

I applied in person and had it almost immediately. She even gave me a bunch of free daily passes for the wait.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes, but that's a different issue to the one of availability of off-street parking.

There will be a number of permits available to a house that's sub-divided (I don't know how that's worked out) - if there's no off-street parking, they will all be at the lower rate, if there is off-street parking they (on paper anyway) will all be at the higher rate.

The OP's problem is that there is off-street parking, but there isn't!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Residents (or units in this case) in houses on a street can apply for a permit to park on the street. If there is off-street parking at the address, then the higher tarriff applies.

I thought the OP could just say that there was no off-street parking available, as in effect there isn't for her - but looking at the way the form is worded, you'd actually have to be lying in writing, and while the chances of getting caught out in that are fairly low I'd imagine, I can understand if she wouldn't want to do that.

It's a difficult one, OP - my gut feeling is that you'll get the lower priced disc, but then it's not my €€ in question.

Maybe attach a note to your application, explaining clearly that while there is an off-street space it's not available to you (would the agent provide that in writing?)

The man on the phone was able to tell me that there is a driveway in the house, so when they are assessing my application, they would know that there is a driveway. Yeah I'm sure the agent would provide that letter but at the end of the day it's up to who ever is processing my application and there is a chance that it will be 400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Question to the OP

You need car for work. So why do you need to live in the city centre. If parking and cost is such an issue why not live in a suburb.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

The higher tariff is still ridiculously cheap. When you consider the privilege of having a driveway on a busy street effectively deprives the street of one or more public parking spaces.

Question to the OP

You need car for work. So why do you need to live in the city centre. If parking and cost is such an issue why not live in a suburb.

I don't know if you have any experience applying for accommodation, but sometimes you have to take what you are offered. Theres too much competition with other applicants and when you are up against professional couples with a huge income, you haven't a chance.

ronoc wrote: »
    The higher tariff is still ridiculously cheap. When you consider the privilege of having a driveway on a busy street effectively deprives the street of one or more public parking spaces.

Maybe €400 annually is ridiculously cheap for some, but for me on top of tax, increased insurance premium, rent, bill's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Maybe €400 annually is ridiculously cheap for some, but for me on top of tax, increased insurance premium, rent, bill's etc.

If you've accepted the property then there's not much you can do but apply for the permit and see what it costs. If you have to pay €1 a day for parking then you'll need to prioritise what you need in order to afford it or park in the driveway for free and see if the landlord comes after you.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you've accepted the property then there's not much you can do but apply for the permit and see what it costs. If you have to pay €1 a day for parking then you'll need to prioritise what you need in order to afford it or park in the driveway for free and see if the landlord comes after you.

I have not signed a lease yet. Waiting for the agent to call me in when it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ronoc wrote: »
    It is illegal to block someone's gate without their permission . So having a driveway deprives other people on the street of a space, but often reserves one for the occupier of that property.

Advertisement