Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand and Gravel haulage via Tractor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Slackbolts

I know lads that regularly haul livestock and meal 200km round trips with fastracks all running agri juice down the M9. Could be a different kettle of fish in town with 20t of hard-core.
    I wouldnt say your the first to think about it. But you regularly see a fair few civil company branded machines traveling around the road with low loaders full of pipes , culverts and what not, can't say I've noticed many hauling muck or stone

I wouldn’t say I’m the first either and just curious as to what the stumbling blocks would be, diesel now potentially being one of them. Like you said though I highly doubt the tractors currently being used are running white diesel, even though they should be as one poster suggested.

Where has it being clarified...

I’m not going to argue with you, I’m happy I know the law well enough with regard to tractors on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Slackbolts wrote: »
    I’m not going to argue with you, I’m happy I know the law well enough with regard to tractors on motorways.

Good luck with it??

Your maintenance costs will be higher and not much cheaper to buy 1st day vs a truck

Your probably talking e170K for 180hp vario transmission tractor,add 10 to 12K for each 10HP over that.......and 15 to 20K for a eqipped out dump trailer capable of taking 15 ton

And you will still only be bringing half loads vs a truck.....its doable,but your tieing up obscene money,for something you'll do well to draw a wage out of,after payments/maintence costs taken out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Your maintenance costs will be higher and not much cheaper to buy 1st day vs a truck

Your probably talking e170K for 180hp vario transmission tractor,add 10 to 12K for each 10HP over that.......and 15 to 20K for a eqipped out dump trailer capable of taking 15 ton

And you will still only be bringing half loads vs a truck.....its doable,but your tieing up obscene money,for something you'll do well to draw a wage out of,after payments/maintence costs taken out

Why do you think he would be only bringing half loads v a truck. 20 ton is 20 ton no matter what you bring it in. 5 axle tippers can bring 25 not sure if a 3 axle dump trailer and fastrac could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Slackbolts wrote: »

Thanks...
    I thought it was same rule for all of EU on this one... seems not...

Car99 wrote: »
    Why do you think he would be only bringing half loads v a truck. 20 ton is 20 ton no matter what you bring it in. 5 axle tippers can bring 25 not sure if a 3 axle dump trailer and fastrac could.

Most trucks out my way at tipping 28 to 30ton (but i live rural area and they've extra axle added now)

25 ton dump trailer,set out with air brakes,on brink of being brought in,if not already for anything doing over 40K,(those hyd brakes are rubbish and will redden your tractor brakes) wont come in,under 24K,id be suprised if less than 40k via dooleys anyway

Like its doable,but the money/costs tied up for a wage,not much greater than what yous would get at lidl is eye-watering......if a lad wants to go at it,fair play and best of luck,but dont be thinking theres a pot of gold at end of rainbow from driving a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

You'll need commercial insurance, which isn't a problem to get, FBD do it, it's around €2500 on our T7, but that is in addition to using it for farm use, whether you can get it for just commercial use I don't know.

Diesel is your own shout, technically you should be running road diesel as you are doing just haulage work. Quite possible you will be reported by other haulage companys, so expect to be dipped at some stage. If your work is split between on and off road then that's a different story.

Also, there could be a difference for road tax but again it's up to you to investigate. There used to be a category for 'General Haulage Tractor' for agricultural vehicles, as opposed to the regular agri tax, not sure if that tax category still exists or if anyone ever bothered with it.

I would advise running a more industrial type tyre rather than the normal agri grip type, they are still decent enough off road. Get a ball and spoon coupling rather than ring and hook, they are safer, less wear, and you are allowed slightly higher weight, up to 34,000 kg Gross trailer weight with the ideal set up:

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Agricultural_Vehicles/Weights%20and%20Dimensions%20for%20Agricultural%20Vehicles.pdf

Steering axle on the dump trailer will add hugely to your manoeuvrability, they make a massive difference, even a passive steer axle.

Have you ever owned a Fastrac before? Brilliant machine for haulage I agree, but not a cheap machine to maintain and you'll need a competent mechanic, as down time will be a big issue in your game. Fastracs are very comfortable, but the newer ones are not significantly faster than many of the new conventional tractors, which are a cheaper option with better resale value.

Finally, do you know of anyone else doing what you plan to do, that in itself could be the best advice of all.

(and yes, tractors are allowed on the motorway!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

westgolf wrote: »
    The civils crews running these have a contract rate for road diesel, which brings down their running cost, plus they can reclaim the vat etc. If you want to go this road go with one of the civils crowds as a subcontractor on an hourly rate. Eventually you could take on muck away/ stone in type jobs in your own right.

The contract rate for diesel is not much less than the competitive fuel stations. Maybe 5c saving/litre, but obviously vat is reclaimable.

For the OP, there are any amount of people who will deliver small loads, large loads and 1 T bagged stone

As for the Marked diesel, the good news is revenue does not say anything about it not permitted in tractors on the road.
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner-farming/20190704/281655371627632

• Advertisement

Testacalda wrote: »
    You'll need commercial insurance, which isn't a problem to get, FBD do it, it's around €2500 on our T7, but that is in addition to using it for farm use, whether you can get it for just commercial use I don't know.

Diesel is your own shout, technically you should be running road diesel as you are doing just haulage work. Quite possible you will be reported by other haulage companys, so expect to be dipped at some stage. If your work is split between on and off road then that's a different story.

Also, there could be a difference for road tax but again it's up to you to investigate. There used to be a category for 'General Haulage Tractor' for agricultural vehicles, as opposed to the regular agri tax, not sure if that tax category still exists or if anyone ever bothered with it.

I would advise running a more industrial type tyre rather than the normal agri grip type, they are still decent enough off road. Get a ball and spoon coupling rather than ring and hook, they are safer, less wear, and you are allowed slightly higher weight, up to 34,000 kg Gross trailer weight with the ideal set up:

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Agricultural_Vehicles/Weights%20and%20Dimensions%20for%20Agricultural%20Vehicles.pdf

Steering axle on the dump trailer will add hugely to your manoeuvrability, they make a massive difference, even a passive steer axle.

Have you ever owned a Fastrac before? Brilliant machine for haulage I agree, but not a cheap machine to maintain and you'll need a competent mechanic, as down time will be a big issue in your game. Fastracs are very comfortable, but the newer ones are not significantly faster than many of the new conventional tractors, which are a cheaper option with better resale value.

Finally, do you know of anyone else doing what you plan to do, that in itself could be the best advice of all.

(and yes, tractors are allowed on the motorway!!)

Thank you very much, that’s the kind of information I’m after. I know of someone doing it but it’s not their main form of revenue, it’s a kind of add on to their existing civils company, I’ve reached out to them nevertheless to see if they’d be able to go over the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I'm going to be honest. You won't get the work out of quarrys and tips. Every haulage company around will make your life hell and with good reason.
    I'd be inclined to say you can't put one on your haulage licence ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Rave.ef wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest. You won't get the work out of quarrys and tips. Every haulage company around will make your life hell and with good reason.
    I'd be inclined to say you can't put one on your haulage licence ether.

This. If hauliers see you eating their lunch while burning agri diesel, you can expect a prompt, no-nonsense education from the RSA, AGS, etc. Also, the quarries will be weary to supply you if you're pissing off the hauliers who draw large volumes from them everyday.

Tractors and dump-trailers on agri diesel was a big thing down our country 10-15 years ago but not anymore. It's all 8 wheel tippers now, road-worthy and with proper permits or one can forget about getting legitimate work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Local Civil's company have a Fastrack, they use it with a 24 tonne dump trailer, another trailer with a side elevator for dropping stone at the edge of newly ashfelted roads, and a third trailer with a clamshell grab on it, having the different trailers makes it versatile, but a huge investment.

As regards diesel use, a tractor on road haulage will be revving hard all the time, loaded or not, and will use as much diesel as a truck, your only saving would be on the color of the diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd get a little 8 ton tipper truck, delivering topsoil - everyone's going mad with raised beds etc. A bit of plastic sheeting on the driveway n away you go.

If you get one with a crane on it a clamshell for taking stuff away wouldn't be long paying for itself.

Advertisement