Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day, part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Bigus wrote: »
    One of the reasons to buy classics luxobarges was to take the tax advantage of driving a big engined powerful car on low tax.

I thought the benefit was to buy a 80-120k car for less than the cost of a small motorbike :D:D

Don't understand drag race video, no one ever bought an S-Class because of it's 0-60 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Donedeal should give people a standard template.

At a minimum there should be an angled picture of the car's best side, then picture of every side straight on. Picture of engine, interior, dash, driver seat, wheels, steering wheel.

All taken in full daylight, with a clean car.

Hey and what about the basics? --- Mileage, Tax cost, number of owners, NCT status and a ban on the following wording:
    "first to see will buy...." drives me scatty.

AAAAAAAAnnnnnnndddddddddd don't photograph a car with the suds you just washed off on the ground. Drive it 10metres and have a nice bit of greenery in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

I thought the benefit was to buy a 80-120k car for less than the cost of a small motorbike :D:D

Don't understand drag race video, no one ever bought an S-Class because of it's 0-60 times.

Yep, very fair point. In its day though the XJS or the 6.9 would have been rockets compared to the average cars on the road at the time. They would also have been much more plush.

All but the most powerful ICE stuff will be slow compared to the run of the mill EV stuff in a few years but will the milk floats have the presence, comfort, ride and quality of materials of a luxobarge? I think not and doubt the will last or still be a conversation piece like the XJS or a 6.9 Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lincoln-royale-limousine-left-hand-drive/27569230

NzU3YmMzZmI0NGViYmI5YjI4NWY1ZGNkYjYzZDUyNDOI7L9Tg1bND1ys-G_pRzAaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQ2NDY0NTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Is this bargey enough!? Tax and test til August, €4200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

547622.jpg

My old LS the week I sold it! I got fed up of things going wrong so I bought a Renault instead..:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Didn't think anything went wrong with Lexus.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

TigerTim wrote: »
    Didn't think anything went wrong with Lexus.

T.

It doesn't, his was just crap :pac:

It doesn't, his was just crap :pac:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Truckermal wrote: »
    My old LS the week I sold it! I got fed up of things going wrong so I bought a Renault instead..:o
    And had the Renault proved more reliable? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

547622.jpg

What sort of issues? Did you post them on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I reckon that the prevalence of screens for everything will affect future values of cars from the last 10 years. What is brilliant technology now might age terribly, assuming they even last 20+ years. I think Bugatti have the right idea in keeping digital displays to a minimum. I also can't imagine an E66 will ever be desirable like an E38 is.

newmember? wrote: »
    What sort of issues? Did you post them on here?

Suspension was tired and it was drinking oil even though it had a full Lexus history!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Suspension was tired and it was drinking oil even though it had a full Lexus history!

Full dealer service history doesn't rule out someone driving the absolute bag out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emergencylime

Donedeal should give people a standard template.

At a minimum there should be an angled picture of the car's best side, then picture of every side straight on. Picture of engine, interior, dash, driver seat, wheels, steering wheel.

All taken in full daylight, with a clean car.

The Turo (airbnb for cars) App has car angle outlines when you’re taking the photos at the time of collecting the car, so it wouldn’t be impossible to add.

Does the DoneDeal ad uploading have an option to rotate?

My mini-rant is an ad with 37 Matrix-style photos of the outside but none of the interior.

Does the DoneDeal ad uploading have an option to rotate?

It does. It's super easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Sorry Truckermal - can you elaborate ? I would be very interested to know as I was seriously considering one but won't if they are not reliable.
    The Suspension getting tired worries me.
    I completely understand if you don't want to go into detail.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Sorry Truckermal - can you elaborate ? I would be very interested to know as I was seriously considering one but won't if they are not reliable.
    The Suspension getting tired worries me.
    I completely understand if you don't want to go into detail.

It's common for the standard air suspension to fail after so many years and they're expensive to fix, but you can buy normal coil on spring for them to replace it. The oil consumption is generally a rocker gasket failing, as is also common. My own, in the last year with a dodgy rocker gasket has used maybe 2l of oil but that's it.

Rocker gaskets can't be overly expensive to replace with an independent garage, surely?

Lurching wrote: »
    Rocker gaskets can't be overly expensive to replace with an independent garage, surely?

They're not simple to replace, I've done mine and took about 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's common for the standard air suspension to fail after so many years and they're expensive to fix, but you can buy normal coil on spring for them to replace it. The oil consumption is generally a rocker gasket failing, as is also common. My own, in the last year with a dodgy rocker gasket has used maybe 2l of oil but that's it.

How does a rocker gasket issue lead to oil consumption? A bad leak?? I'd hardly sell a car over a leaking rocker cover gasket - surely it was burning oil.

• Advertisement

You would think that excess pressure up under the rockers could be a sign of piston ring wear.
    But maybe the layout of that engine means there's constantly pressure there.

newmember? wrote: »
    How does a rocker gasket issue lead to oil consumption? A bad leak?? I'd hardly sell a car over a leaking rocker cover gasket - surely it was burning oil.

Tends to fail at the spark plug holes, when I did mine plugs 1 and 2 on the left bank were both full to the top with oil. Also common to leak in behind the high pressure fuel pump.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d-sport-model-low-mileage-fresh-nct-05-22/27615572

ODdlMDdmODY0NjQ1Mzg4OWQ0NjNkODFlNWFiYmVkZmQwtqJM9DUmbFQrW3qBf6wIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzUxMjc3OTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

N2E5N2EzYTA5MDM5MmI4MzdhOTA4NmU0Njk2YWJiZTI0Fx9oI3fI7AoglwLroiBbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzUxMjc3OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice spec 730 with low miles and one previous owner, €5k

I see comfort seats, adaptive cruise, comfort access

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/27531551

M2I4ZWI1OGFjZmE4ZDJkMzU2MWY0NmZlYzE5MjJhMjlwXyEJvKjRYWO-a1b1tGrraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQyMzcxNjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Hard to judge spec from such a poor ad but it has comfort seats at least.

Claiming FSH and 4 new continental tyres, €3250. Theres something charming about the pre-facelift 7s now IMO.

This is down to €2300. Lovely car for that money, taxed and tested and seemingly ready to go

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/27531551

Interesting that everything unique (classics and sports cars) are going ballistic in value at the moment, but a 730D isn't selling.
    Maybe that one has big issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d-sport-model-low-mileage-fresh-nct-05-22/27615572

Nice spec 730 with low miles and one previous owner, €5k

I see comfort seats, adaptive cruise, comfort access

The best wheels for those 7 series by far too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-bmw-730li-nct-and-tax/27780097

YWM4OGY2MGNmN2E2YmE3YjBkM2Y4NGZiNzY2ZDg0MzCVjKLBnuRKPUVoiyoUEfR_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzY3NTk0OTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Terrible spec 730Li, €3850

A petrol E65/6 of any description is a rare thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That was 100% bought as a hotel/big corporate chauffeur car , literally no options on it except lwb.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

astraj wrote: »

And 6 owners, doing an average of 30,000 km each and less than 14,000 km per year. Hmmm.... such a nice car to have such little use by so many owners?

Advertisement