Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wandering dogs

• 15-03-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you have problems with wandering dogs?

How do you deal with the situation.

There is sheep on the farm. We are not always there and we don't know who owner is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

223 lobotomy, if they are in a field of sheep....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shoot the bastards. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you can easily find the owner, give them a simple warning. Then escalate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Effects wrote: »
    If you can easily find the owner, give them a simple warning. Then escalate.

Tried this approach, the dogs came back a few days later and attacked the sheep. The owner was very sorry though, and eventually paid for the sheep that were killed about 2 years later... :mad::mad::mad:

I would say shoot them...

A good side effect of shooting is people know you are inclined to shoot any dogs that come onto your place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

2 occasions here where dogs were bothering sheep, one person had been spoken to and dogs lifted by the warden, 24 hours later they were back in my fields, and another time a dog that was just gotten back from another farmer who had sheep killed a week previously came in and killed some of my ducks, theres no talking to some people or else they just don't care about people's livestock or there own animals, im both of the above cases the double barrel took care of the situation permanently

Might add that in the second occasion I was blackened from one end of f.b to the other, im not on f.b myself so was rang by a friend, but the guards seen that it was quickly taken down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thanks for the feedback

My father is on the .223 lobotomy end of the scale. I'm inclined to give them 1 chance.

It, at the moment doesn't seem to be a regular occorance jist a once off, but if it is a regular occorance and the owners can't be found or talked to...

..often the problem with lads getting a few quid and leaving the town and buying a house in the countryside

One woman rang to complain because her chickens were eaten by a dog owned by a guy that rents a house off me

Oh dear that's terrible. Where were your chickens? They were in your back garden and his dog killed them.

OK then

Bye bye then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭arctictree

If the dog is in the field, the owner is given one chance. If the dog is actively worrying the sheep then it's curtains for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buddyt1

One time a dog attacked animals, drove animals through electric fence, snapping the wire in two. When confronted the dog owner said your animals could have kicked my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

buddyt1 wrote: »
    One time a dog attacked animals, drove animals through electric fence, snapping the wire in two. When confronted the dog owner said your animals could have kicked my dog.

Un****ing believable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Speaking from direct experience. Use a double barrel or .22 and bury the dog and say nothing to anyone, not family or friends, if someone comes asking questions play dumb.

We had a previous neighbour who had different dogs over the years. Everyone of them met the same end because the owner didn't care where the dogs went. You only have one shot at a dog, they're clever animals. We gave 3 weeks waiting for dogs to come back and sure enough they came back and we were ready for them. Some dog owners do not care and if you say anything to them and end up shooting the dog your only bringing bother on yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Speaking from direct experience. Use a double barrel or .22 and bury the dog and say nothing to anyone, not family or friends, if someone comes asking questions play dumb.

Times a thousand, have some right posh knobs for neighbours here and are a pain in the hole, one of their dogs was in around the cattle and answer was "look at him playing with them" you couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Had neighbours dog upsetting the cattle here and the suckler herd next farm over, neighbour dispatched him, the ads on the local Facebook page would melt your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

davidk1394 wrote: »

The forced disappearance method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The forced disappearance method.

In Mario Puzos the last don when Clericuzio assassins plan a hit, they decide whether to conduct a "communion," meaning the body will disappear, or a "confirmation," meaning it will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IsIt Miturn

As a part time farm hand AND a dog handler, I can definitely see both sides of the argument! There is absolutely no excuse for having to pick up dead bodies because of a stupid owner.

We had a German shepherd last year that just wouldn't leave the land, some days he would just sit and watch the sheep for hours, and one or two days he "herded" them. We brought the dog back twice and witnessed savage cruelty upon the dog (story for another day)! In the end he came back to the land and we locked him in a stable for 5 days, waiting for the owner to come looking. Unsurprisingly he didn't, and the dog fell in love with kinder people that had fed and walked him, so we had him signed over to the warden by the owner.

Our intention was that we lock the dog up and when the owner comes to collect them, we would tell them that "next time the dog will be shot"... which we felt would work; just not in his circumstances! It's incredibly irresponsible of an owner to allow their dog wander on their own and against the law. But if having that conversation with the owner doesn't work, then as far as I'm concerned; the owner doesn't care for their dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

I dont see any argument with it.

Im not a farmer. I have 2 dogs. Myself and my OH have talked about this before.

If our dogs managed to escape ( Not happened so far for the last 25 years ) and run into a farm or field with livestock, we would fully understand they could get their brains blown out and the only people to blame would be us as we are responsible for our animals . no ifs or buts.

If a farmer shoots a dog or dogs on their own land it is what it is. I would hope many dog owners understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

When a dog owner is approached and warned about a roaming dog the usual response is along the lines of “ oh my Fido wouldn’t hurt a fly” a bit like the mother who’s son never misbehaves.

Advertisement