Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 Installer Dublin

Options
  • 15-03-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for a CAT6 installer in Dublin, looking to run CAT6 from my sitting room to the attic (external cable) to where I will locate my networking equipment (router,switch), my reading other posts I will have to leave my ONT in the sitting room and run CAT6 to ONT from router in the attic.

the job isnt big but like to see some recommendations.

Cheers

** I know this could be a DIY job but looking to have job done right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for a CAT6 installer in Dublin, looking to run CAT6 from my sitting room to the attic (external cable) to where I will locate my networking equipment (router,switch), my reading other posts I will have to leave my ONT in the sitting room and run CAT6 to ONT from router in the attic.

the job isnt big but like to see some recommendations.

Cheers

** I know this could be a DIY job but looking to have job done right.

Any registered electrician should be able to complete this job for you,
    Personally I done mine myself,
    Built an MDF panel in the attic, just a sheet with 1" inch square stair banister spindles screwed to the back;

poeZfYRoj

creating a cavity between the sheet and the wall to allow cables pass through.

pmFRTMi4j

Is your house a standard 3 bed semi ?
    If yes; there should be a plasterboard cavity where pipes from heating go up to the hotpress,

That's where I've ran three Cat7 cables from living room to attic, one for each bedroom plugged in to a LAN Switch on the panel,

pob18CSWj

Here's the plasterboard cavity box in the kitchen where pipes travel from ground floor to upstairs through hotpres, I removed skirting board and stuck my phone inside for a picture,

poaJQ9vcj

Drilled a hole in the hotpress floor and put some coaxial cable down to see if I could catch it inside the kitchen cavity

poJe1Cf5j

Also took out some plasterboard with a kitchen bread knife to allow my hand to fit in and catch the coaxial cable from the hotpress floor and pass it on down to the kitchen floor

pmjqzMZWj

pnOjuya9j

where I taped on some cat7 cables aswell as sattelite and virgin media RG6 to feed to the attic via the hotpress.

pnkfQv0Zj

pmLzJ7S2j

Conduit on and shelves back in.

pmMjJ978j

I've put 50x25 maxi trunking along both sides of the apex in the attic with all cables feeding to each room from the panel Tee off from conduit to under insulation then down inside partition walls all hidden,

pnZZEowwj

pm0l0t6gj

pnZWQztnj

The panel holds all network and television distribution equipment.
    Just sharing ideas, I've done it all myself.

Kept the square of plasterboard which was previously cut out and used it to patch back in the hole; filled around it, sand and paint all seamless now.

pnZOmdc1j

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Nice Post on your setup pretty neat, my outside walls of my living room are dot and dab so thats why i was thinking taking the CAT6 connection straight outside and back into the attic at roof level.

Nice Post on your setup pretty neat, my outside walls of my living room are dot and dab so thats why i was thinking taking the CAT6 connection straight outside and back into the attic at roof level.
    Thanks,
    Doing that method would save alot of time compared to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Little update got a local electrican ran cat6 to attic mounted sockets etc on board in the attic which is great, just waiting on the ISP to feed in the fibre!

Little update got a local electrican ran cat6 to attic mounted sockets etc on board in the attic which is great, just waiting on the ISP to feed in the fibre!

Excellent News,
    It's all downhill from here;

• Advertisement
Advertisement