Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line between flirting and harrasment?

Options
  • 15-03-2021 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

The Sarah Evards case and the question on Current Affairs made me think of this. Many posts were people saying that men should be aware of what they say/do around women as even well meaning mean can make women feel uncomfortable with their comments/behavior.

So I was wondering, since people expect men to be aware of how they treat women but at the same time expect men to approach women first, when is it okay to flirt with a women and when does it cross into unwanted behavior?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's perfectly simple. If they aren't interested, or show no interest, just leave and stop.

Super simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's perfectly simple. If they aren't interested, or show no interest, just leave and stop.

Super simple.

It really, really is this simple.
    If you are knocked back, that's it.
    Leave it there.

Don't try persistence, don't try to win her over, don't try and be her white knight.
    Be rational and leave her the fúck alone.

This is a person, not a game, persistence and grinding won't "win" but it will highlight you as a creep.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you can't recognise when the approach is unwanted, you shouldn't have approached in the first instance.

If you can recognise this, then the time to stop is when you recognise this.

It isn't rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Use an incremental approach.

Make eye contact. If they respond positively...
    Smile. If they respond positively...
    Talk. If they respond positively...
    Make physical contact. If they respond positively...
    Kiss them.

Etc

banie01 wrote: »
    It really, really is this simple.
    If you are knocked back, that's it.
    Leave it there.

Don't try persistence, don't try to win her over, don't try and be her white knight.
    Be rational and leave her the fúck alone.

This is a person, not a game, persistence and grinding won't "win" but it will highlight you as a creep.

My wife turned me down 3 times before going on a date with me. She's still around and he have 2 kids.

• Advertisement

grassylawn wrote: »

Kiss them.

Etc

Exactly. There's nothing sexier and more appealing than staring at a woman until she notices and then smiling at her

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It really isn't that difficult. If she isn't showing much of an interest then don't pursue it any further. The idea that persistence will yield results is Hollywood boll*cks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

My wife turned me down 3 times before going on a date with me. She's still around and he have 2 kids.

ACD answers this in pretty much the same vein I would.
    It really isn't that difficult. If she isn't showing much of an interest then don't pursue it any further. The idea that persistence will yield results is Hollywood boll*cks.

But congrats, glad you and your Mrs have made it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But congrats, glad you and your Mrs have made it :)

Nope. Still single.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Exactly. There's nothing sexier and more appealing than staring at a woman until she notices and then smiling at her

If you want that attention. Some people would call that creepy and harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

grassylawn wrote: »

Kiss them.

Etc

This sounds like pick-up-artist rubbish to be honest.

Nope. Still single.

That's a result of my piss poor formatting :(
    I meant that congrats for 9er.

Sorry ;)

Nothing wrong with being single tho, clearly you aren't a hostage taker :pac:
    Joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Hoboo wrote: »
    If you want that attention. Some people would call that creepy and harassment.

And so ends the human race.

God be with the days when we would just go out on the pull (men and women). A bit of chat, a dance and some fun. Now it seems like looking at somebody could be construed at harassment.

I think many of us have been groped on the dancefloor, but certainly didn’t go home traumatised.

It’s getting a bit much at this stage.

That's a result of my piss poor formatting :(
    I meant that congrats for 9er.

Sorry ;)

Nothing wrong with being single tho, clearly you aren't a hostage taker :pac:
    Joking...

No worries. It is what it is and I'm happy enough.

I work in a University though and even though it's majority female, I don't think it'd be worth the risk to mix dating and work.

I think many of us have been groped on the dancefloor, but certainly didn’t go home traumatised.

Wait, so what you're saying here is because you were groped on the dancefloor and didn't mind, you should be able to grope who you want and they shouldn't mind?

No, the default is don't grope anyone. It's not cool! I'm sure if someone groped your other half on a dance floor you'd feel differently about it

No worries. It is what it is and I'm happy enough.

I work in a University though and even though it's majority female, I don't think it'd be worth the risk to mix dating and work.

Don't dip your pen in company ink is IMO good advice ;)

That said, my current wife was a direct report of mine for a few years, but, we didn't date until about 3yrs after we'd finished working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

God be with the days when we would just go out on the pull (men and women). A bit of chat, a dance and some fun. Now it seems like looking at somebody could be construed at harassment.

Hi,

My name is hyperbole. Pleased to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Avoid it where she can report you to the HR Department.

Don't dip your pen in company ink is IMO good advice ;)

That said, my current wife was a direct report of mine for a few years, but, we didn't date until about 3yrs after we'd finished working together.

There was a nice French lady who used to pop in as she was a collaborator. Not often and I considered saying something but when I worked up the nerve, I got interrupted. Not the end of the world, like and on the whole it might have been better to, as you say, leave the ink alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

The Sarah Evards case and the question on Current Affairs made me think of this. Many posts were people saying that men should be aware of what they say/do around women as even well meaning mean can make women feel uncomfortable with their comments/behavior.

So I was wondering, since people expect men to be aware of how they treat women but at the same time expect men to approach women first, when is it okay to flirt with a women and when does it cross into unwanted behavior?

You'd know as soon as you see their reaction, I would think.

Saying "hello" to someone wouldn't be harassment but continuing on when they haven't really shown any interest in talking would be getting into uncomfortable territory.

When women share their experiences of being harassed it generally does tend to be on the more obvious end of the scale. Some drunk guy making comments to them on the bus or across the street.

You won't really see too many women using an example of a man saying hello to them in a bar.

Although there could be a valid question raised about how these surveys etc are done. Are leading questions being asked and are responses being logged as harassment when they might not be?

I doubt if you asked women about their experiences with harassment you'd get too many saying that the awkward guy in work asking them out for dinner that one time was harassment. Most would give pretty clear cut and obvious examples.

Don't be a creep and assume every time a woman is nice to you that means they want to have sex.

Most women are perfectly capable of indicating when they're romantically interested. You need to better learn body language, if you cannot see it.

This is a good clip:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wait, so what you're saying here is because you were groped on the dancefloor and didn't mind, you should be able to grope who you want and they shouldn't mind?

No, the default is don't grope anyone. It's not cool! I'm sure if someone groped your other half on a dance floor you'd feel differently about it

Pretty sure that wasn’t what I said, but your interpretation is interesting enough.

No, what I’m saying is that,
    IMHO of course, this is getting blown out of proportion when guys are afraid to approach a girl for fear of being perceived, or perceiving themselves as harassing them.

Pretty sure that wasn’t what I said, but your interpretation is interesting enough.

No, what I’m saying is that,
    IMHO of course, this is getting blown out of proportion when guys are afraid to approach a girl for fear of being perceived, or perceiving themselves as harassing them.

But you mentioned groping. Where do you stand on groping?

From your post above, you've been groped before and didn't mind it so it's ok. Am I misinterpreting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭nicholasIII

You'd know as soon as you see their reaction, I would think.

Saying "hello" to someone wouldn't be harassment but continuing on when they haven't really shown any interest in talking would be getting into uncomfortable territory.

When women share their experiences of being harassed it generally does tend to be on the more obvious end of the scale. Some drunk guy making comments to them on the bus or across the street.

You won't really see too many women using an example of a man saying hello to them in a bar.

Although there could be a valid question raised about how these surveys etc are done. Are leading questions being asked and are responses being logged as harassment when they might not be?

I doubt if you asked women about their experiences with harassment you'd get too many saying that the awkward guy in work asking them out for dinner that one time was harassment. Most would give pretty clear cut and obvious examples.

What about flirting with a nurse/female doctor? I was treated by a few nice nurses in Beaumont and decided to add them on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat. Some weren't too pleased by it but most were okay.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But you mentioned groping. Where do you stand on groping?

From your post above, you've been groped before and didn't mind it so it's ok. Am I misinterpreting?

Many times. It doesn’t make it ok. Of course don’t be a dick and grab somebody’s arse when dancing.

However, this has not sent most people into therapy. It is actually scary how quickly people are accepting this new idea that everybody will be a gentleman or gentlewoman and stuff like this -not only won’t happen - but will make us afraid of approaching other humans for fear of accusations.

I don't like being 'groped' anywhere by people I don't know.
    So you think I'm the one with a problem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its very easy lads.
    • Demonstrate value
    • Engage physically
    • Nurture dependence
    • Neglect emotionally
    • Inspire hope
    • Separate entirely

In all seriousness, it usually is pretty obvious.

• Advertisement

This is a Mr Feg thread isn't it?

Advertisement