Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Strand risk of flood

Options
  • 15-03-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm interested in buying a property in north strand - it is within 70 metres of the royal canal. however I am starting to run into issues with home insurance for flood. A number of insurers will not quote us for flood. Have others living in this area had previous experience or recommendations with various insurers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Insurers will offer cover for everything except certain types of flood damage in this scenario, this should be sufficient for the purposes of securing a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

AngryLips wrote: »
    Insurers will offer cover for everything except certain types of flood damage in this scenario, this should be sufficient for the purposes of securing a mortgage.

All well and good getting the mortgage.

Not much use if your house is destroyed by flood waters down the line.

This, I think is what OP is worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

My wife grew up on Richmond Rd and flooding from the Tolka was an issue.
    In the after what I think was the last flood the Tolka was drained and the banks heightened along the stretch from Drumcondra down as far as Ballybough.
    Not sure if along there has flooded in the last 10 years.

Allinall wrote: »
    All well and good getting the mortgage.

Not much use if your house is destroyed by flood waters down the line.

This, I think is what OP is worried about.

Well in that case OP should abandon all hope of buying anywhere near coastal Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublin444

Yes that's exactly it. Mortgage should be ok, it's the insurance against flood that I am concerned about. The property itself has not flooded but areas around Ossary road have, work was carried out to limit flooding since.

I called four insurers, 3 said they won't cover it and one will, AA. Curious if anyone else had other recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

dublin444 wrote: »
    Yes that's exactly it. Mortgage should be ok, it's the insurance against flood that I am concerned about. The property itself has not flooded but areas around Ossary road have, work was carried out to limit flooding since.

I called four insurers, 3 said they won't cover it and one will, AA. Curious if anyone else had other recommendations.

You must be smoking crack if you think Ossory road is prone to flooding. Bar one flood in the business park in 2002, can you tell me how many times the area has flooded since?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I live on a street the East Wall side of North Strand Road. My house was flooded with 5 feet of water the time the bridge fell into the river in 1954.
    It has not flooded since.
    I have no issues getting insurance for flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the last 10 years there has been flooding around Shamrock Cottages. It will very much depend on the individual property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

dublin444 wrote: »

Why won’t they quote you?
    Have they said specifically?
    Is this because you don’t own the house?
    I had that issue getting car quotes then I was thinking of changing mine a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ask the vendor if the house is currently insured, and with whom. Then approach that insurere for a quote.

• Advertisement

Its standard practice for insurers to make exclusions for certain types of flood damage if you live in a floodplain. Anyone can check an address on floodinfo.ie

OP, you might want to double check the quote from AA, I live in the same area so wanted to check my own address and found that they apply the same exclusions... it's just that in the case of the AA they only detail it in the small print

Advertisement