Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a vintage car

Options
  • 15-03-2021 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi my husband has recently purchased a vintage car (1984), the car has been in ireland since 2005 but doesn’t seem to have ever been registered, how does he go about registering it now, how much would it cost and will he be liable for extra costs as it will be first time registered in ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What number plates are on it at the moment??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

kadman wrote: »
    What number plates are on it at the moment??

UK ones

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

OK.

In the normal scheme of things, new ownership change of vehicle means any previous tax liabilities, do not apply to the new owner.

But a UK reg that was not dealt with years ago, means there was some liability for the previous owner possibiliy VAT,

is a whole other ballgame, and I am not sure of the procedure now.

But rest assured you have come to the right forum for advice,

which will follow from another poster soon,

:)

kadman wrote: »
    OK.

In the normal scheme of things, new ownership change of vehicle means any previous tax liabilities, do not apply to the new owner.

But a UK reg that was not dealt with years ago, means there was some liability for the previous owner possibiliy VAT,

is a whole other ballgame, and I am not sure of the procedure now.

But rest assured you have come to the right forum for advice,

which will follow from another poster soon,

:)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

How recent is 'recently'?

What make is it?

Your husband will be charged VRT @ €200. As a separate issue he will be possibly charged VAT and possibly duty depending on the origin and make of the car.

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »

What make is it?

Your husband will be charged VRT @ €200. As a separate issue he will be possibly charged VAT and possibly duty depending on the origin and make of the car.

It was only purchased two weeks ago, it’s a Ford Capri

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

If it were me I'd put it through the VRT procedure and see what happens. Don't mention when it came to Ireland if he can help it. Could be he might get away with €200.

Worst case scenario, 23% VAT on invoice price and the transport cost, the paperwork may well be a problem for him depending on what the seller gave him. He could need a customs declaration and an invoice, I hope he has the V5C because he'll have real problems if he hasn't. If it's a German built Capri there could be 10% import duty as well if they cop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Is the duty only applicable if it is non UK built? I am confused on that one. How will the vrt person know where the car was built. Ok a Lotus, Hillman etc are UK but Opels / Fords, could be UK or Germany.

FirstIn wrote: »
    How will the vrt person know where the car was built.

Its not up to the VRT person to know. Its up to you to show them where the vehicle was made.

if they ask.... it's on the VIN plate on a ford in big letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Muller1966

I have a similar problem . I bought a 1982 Ford Cortina mark 5 in need of complete restoration . There are zero papers with car . Can I apply for a V5document and am I liable to VAT etc . As it is a NI registered car does that make any difference as they are still in the customs union? A ny assistance appreciated .

Muller1966 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem . I bought a 1982 Ford Cortina mark 5 in need of complete restoration . There are zero papers with car . Can I apply for a V5document and am I liable to VAT etc . As it is a NI registered car does that make any difference as they are still in the customs union? A ny assistance appreciated .

NI car should mean no VAT or import duty if it's a Dagenham build. It's less clear if it's Ford of Germany built as many of the late ones were. To get a V5 you'll have to find a NI (or GB) address to use as they won't send here.

Thank you for reply . Why will they not post V5 docs
    to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Thank you for reply . Why will they not post V5 docs
    to Ireland?

No they wont and they wont issue a certificate of export anymore either. When the car left NI did it have a V5 or did the previous owner send the V5 to DVLA telling them it was exported?

What make is it?

hopefully that's the case, but suppose they know it's been in RoI for 16 years? Might have been assessed for VRT already maybe, but not paid.

Potential can of worms, not to be recommended, hopefully the OP will get through it OK.

Isambard wrote: »
    hopefully that's the case, but suppose they know it's been in RoI for 16 years? Might have been assessed for VRT already maybe, but not paid.

Potential can of worms, not to be recommended, hopefully the OP will get through it OK.

Yes this is a scenario which pops up every now and then. There is a very nice Audi Quattro floating about this country waiting to surprise a new owner for this very reason .....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Yes this is a scenario which pops up every now and then. There is a very nice Audi Quattro floating about this country waiting to surprise a new owner for this very reason .....

Hmm, not sure on that. How can you be liable for what happened previously? You buy it, the fact the previous owners didn't get it vrt'ed can't be your issue i think?

Hmm, not sure on that. How can you be liable for what happened previously? You buy it, the fact the previous owners didn't get it vrt'ed can't be your issue i think?

If the car has already been assessed then the VRT is owed unless it has been permanently exported by the presenter. I have only heard of one case where this has been highlighted.

Who knows? the rules all changed on 1st January, anything might happen.

If you bought a car with outstanding finance for instance, would you not have to pay off the outstanding amount or hand the car over? I'd say you'd buy the VRT liability along with the asset. Can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

As other posters have said it’s a can of forms.

I’d be concerned about the 16 years worth of VRT penalties for the car not being registered within 30 days of arriving into the country.

The penalty is 0.1% of the VRT fee per day after the 30day period
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/section/62/enacted/en/html

Also 16 years ago in 2005 a 1984 Capri wouldn’t qualify for the €200 VRT.
    It’d be €720 minimum and likely more.

So 0.1% of €720= €0.72 per day penalty

16 years x 365 days =5840 days
    5840 x €0.72
    =€4204.80 in penalties

This figure could be more/less if there is a different VRT figure used.
    Eg. if penalties are due on €200 figure
    5840 x €0.20 =€1168

Plus
    VRT of the €720 minimum (estimate of 2005 figure)
    or
    €200 (2021 figure)

Plus
    VAT

Plus
    Duties

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    No they wont and they wont issue a certificate of export anymore either. When the car left NI did it have a V5 or did the previous owner send the V5 to DVLA telling them it was exported?

I have no idea of the history of this car . As far as I know it’s been in a shed for 15 years waiting to be found. I bought it with no papers wrongly assuming I could track down the V5 docs by making a declaration to the people in Swansea who regulate licensing in UK .

I have no idea of the history of this car . As far as I know it’s been in a shed for 15 years waiting to be found. I bought it with no papers wrongly assuming I could track down the V5 docs by making a declaration to the people in Swansea who regulate licensing in UK .

(assuming you have the NI reg no) first, do a check online with DVLA. That will tell you if it's been marked as exported. If it hasn't been marked as exported, find a friend in NI and use their address to apply for a new V5C using form V 62. If it is marked exported you have a much bigger problem.

Isambard wrote: »
    (assuming you have the NI reg no) first, do a check online with DVLA. That will tell you if it's been marked as exported. If it hasn't been marked as exported, find a friend in NI and use their address to apply for a new V5C using form V 62. If it is marked exported you have a much bigger problem.

Will do . Thank you .

Advertisement