Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which political party would be toughest on crime?

Options
  • 15-03-2021 2:02pm

Looking across the political spectrum I am wondering whether any of the mainstream parties have a particularly tough stance on crime? If they do, is there any direct evidence of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Depends on the type of crime

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well, SF for example, want to abolish the special criminal court which is the only mechanism of ensuring jurors are not intimidated or worse by gangland thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Depends on the type of crime

Depends on who commits the crime, Travellers nothing to see move along. Students fine them , expel them etc. Politicians were frothing at the mouth to condemn students , whereas with the Travellers...... silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

SF toughest on what the army council consider crime
    PbP toughest on thought crime and hurt feelings
    Everyone else just props up a really soft justice system, won't point out the elephants in the room and refuse to deal with the lack of prison spaces in Ireland and a judge who routinely lets paedophiles away with their crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well, SF for example, want to abolish the special criminal court which is the only mechanism of ensuring jurors are not intimidated or worse by gangland thugs.

Or terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 16 Terry136

Looking across the political spectrum I am wondering whether any of the mainstream parties have a particularly tough stance on crime? If they do, is there any direct evidence of this?

Well we all know Sinn Fein has been very tough on the crimes of the British in our country in the last 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whatever about the likes of FF,FG, SF, soc Dems Labour etc (lot of ppl would call them all very weak on crime)

Some of the smaller parties like Aontu, the National Party, Identity Ireland, Renua would claim to be “strong” on law and order issues.

Maybe worth a look if you are looking for a tough on crime type of political party to get behind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Depends on whether the person commiting the crime wears a suit or a tracksuit. Also after the comments of the person who will take over as Minister for Justice it seems to be ok to commit a crime as long as it is in the states interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

None of them. That's why women aren't safe on the street, scumbags causing havoc everywhere. No hope for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure you can find some fringe party that claims to be tough on crime but none of the established parties seems to want to crack down on crime very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Depends what you define as crime. PBP etc would jail duh bankurrzz and tax income to the point where industry would grind to a halt. There’d be no tax base left to fund the public service, so that’d collapse too. We’d all be back to living in hedges, which would be cool because, well, property is theft, isn’t it?

They’d eliminate property and industry, and ‘crime’ would become moot, as we’d all be in survival mode. Their voter base would be pi55ed off though as no taxes and public service means they’d have to sort out their own bit of hedge themselves instead of having it provided free of charge.

They’d probably expect their bit of hedge to be clipped free of charge too...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    I'm sure you can find some fringe party that claims to be tough on crime but none of the established parties seems to want to crack down on crime very much.

this is the problem , its really easy to be billy big balls on crime when you've no chance of being elected. , Tom Morrissey of the PD's was the last politician I could think of who had balls on crime while in office

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Terry136

None of them. That's why women aren't safe on the street, scumbags causing havoc everywhere. No hope for this country.

Women not safe on the streets? You've been watching too much sky news the last few days buddy

Terry136 wrote: »
    Women not safe on the streets? You've been watching too much sky news the last few days buddy

Wasn't a woman stabbed in the neck and died a few weeks back?

Us Irish have such short memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Whatever about the likes of FF,FG, SF, soc Dems Labour etc (lot of ppl would call them all very weak on crime)

Some of the smaller parties like Aontu, the National Party, Identity Ireland, Renua would claim to be “strong” on law and order issues.

Maybe worth a look if you are looking for a tough on crime type of political party to get behind

Surely the National Party are more interested in committing crime than preventing it.
    Illegal gatherings, attacking people with timber wrapped in a flag, online bullying, harassment and racism etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Wasn't a woman stabbed in the neck and died a few weeks back?

Us Irish have such short memories...

Yeah a young lad was stabbed to death too

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-35-expected-to-be-charged-in-connection-with-josh-dunne-killing-1.4471406?mode=amp

Are men 'not safe on the streets'?

Witcher wrote: »

Another kid in critical condition this morning. Perhaps not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

dan1895 wrote: »
    Surely the National Party are more interested in committing crime than preventing it.
    Illegal gatherings, attacking people with timber wrapped in a flag, online bullying, harassment and racism etc etc

I said they and the other smaller parties I listed “claim” to be tough on crime. I’m not endorsing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

as said already , depends on what kind of crime

i see most of the left wing parties getting busy when the new " hate crime " bill is passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Labour will be tough as hell on hate speech.

Priorities.

• Advertisement

Terry136 wrote: »

No woman feels safe. This is the truth for years. It's not men that's the problem. It's the light sentencing.

I'm a man, able to take care of myself, and I am wary on the streets. How must a woman feel?

The government aren't looking after us. In general, no serious punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

All Irish political parties are tough on crime..............................until the first twitter post condemning the fascist police state that is Ireland where every minority known to man (can i say man?) is discriminated against and not mollycoddled enough.

Then the same politician can't fall over himself (or herself or itself or feck it i give up) quick enough to prove how right on and tolerant they are of everything from muggers to bank robbers and how all "crime" is actually societies fault and not the individual who commited it.

So no, our politicans are not tough on crime and this comes purely from the fer of being "called out" on media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

Think you'd be trading one problem for another if you let the likes of Justin Barrett slither into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I always feel FG fancy themselves as the part of law and order and as such have an appeal to me, however, I have a feeling that in reality they're soft on white collar crime and aren't particularly interested in reforming the legal system in any way that would harm lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

None of the main parties may be that hard on crime because they've looked at the big picture and decided that crime isn't enough of an issue to build a political platform around. It's been on Liveline before, and probably will be again,

"Joe, my house was broken into last night. They took the TV, the stereo, the jewellery and the dog. The gards have done nothing. What is this country coming to?"

and

"Joe, I was cycling along the canal when a bunch of barely adolescent boys jumped out, kicked lumps out of me and stole my bike and wallet. The gards are doing nothing about this. What is the country coming to?

And incidents such as these are hugely emotive, particularly because they are innocent people falling foul of ne'er-do-wells with seemingly little punishment for the offender, but the problem is that the incidents don't happen frequently enough to enough people to form any kind of electoral mandate, and the anger in those hearing those stories doesn't really seem to last or come to the fore of their mind when election time rolls around. We all seem to be much more worried about taxes and house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

briany wrote: »
    None of the main parties may be that hard on crime because they've looked at the big picture and decided that crime isn't enough of an issue to build a political platform around. It's been on Liveline before, and probably will be again,

"Joe, my house was broken into last night. They took the TV, the stereo, the jewellery and the dog. The gards have done nothing. What is this country coming to?"

and

"Joe, I was cycling along the canal when a bunch of barely adolescent boys jumped out, kicked lumps out of me and stole my bike and wallet. The gards are doing nothing about this. What is the country coming to?

And incidents such as these are hugely emotive, particularly because they are innocent people falling foul of ne'er-do-wells with seemingly little punishment for the offender, but the problem is that the incidents don't happen frequently enough to enough people to form any kind of electoral mandate, and the anger in those hearing those stories doesn't really seem to last or come to the fore of their mind when election time rolls around. We all seem to be much more worried about taxes and house prices.

When there seems to be weekly stories of someone with "hundreds of convictions" it does happen often enough, it just rarely makes local/national news.

Established parties are too busy making excuses for criminals for their to be any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No woman feels safe. This is the truth for years. It's not men that's the problem. It's the light sentencing.

it has never been a safer time to be a woman in ireland than today

ignore the hysteria , even in North Korea , the state cant wipe out murder by one citizen against another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I don’t think any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

None.

Advertisement