Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into a primary school now that wait lists have been done away with

Options
  • 15-03-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've asked this in the Primary School forum as well, but maybe somone here might have some insight.

We're just outside of the what I'll call the first catchment area for most of the good primary schools in our area (Dublin 12).

Our son has just turned one, and up until recently I believe we could have tried to get on the list early, and hope that we'd get in somewhere once kids in the catchment had been admitted.

But my understanding now is that this system is prohibited (with good reason I suppose) with the effect that we can now only apply in the September before he's dues to start.

So I suppose we should just forget about it until then (or look into moving...which is a possibility). But I can't shake the feeling that we should be doing something else.

I think we'll be the first or second year that won't have had the opportunity to join a list stupid years in advance.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I haven't contacted every school. Is there a chance that some are still running a list?

Does anyone have any idea what to expect when we apply in September 2025. Will they still be using date of receipt of application as a deciding factor further down the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hi. I've asked this in the Primary School forum as well, but maybe somone here might have some insight.

We're just outside of the what I'll call the first catchment area for most of the good primary schools in our area (Dublin 12).

Our son has just turned one, and up until recently I believe we could have tried to get on the list early, and hope that we'd get in somewhere once kids in the catchment had been admitted.

But my understanding now is that this system is prohibited (with good reason I suppose) with the effect that we can now only apply in the September before he's dues to start.

So I suppose we should just forget about it until then (or look into moving...which is a possibility). But I can't shake the feeling that we should be doing something else.

I think we'll be the first or second year that won't have had the opportunity to join a list stupid years in advance.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I haven't contacted every school. Is there a chance that some are still running a list?

Does anyone have any idea what to expect when we apply in September 2025. Will they still be using date of receipt of application as a deciding factor further down the list?

I don't know much about it but assuming schools are over subscribed then they have to have some system of filtering children (siblings, religion, locality ect)

I wouldn't assume anything about waiting lists as per the bit in bold above..Simply ring absolutely every school you are interested in and find out exactly what they require.

Don't forget it is often easier to get into your chosen school if you apply further up the school cycle (2nd class upwards) Often other children may have left in the meantime and places are available. Disruptive in the short term but if you really want the school then it is worth it. We moved one of ours for 6th class only as he had a poor teacher in 5th and another in 6th. He rejoined most of his class mates in 1st year. Tough at the time but didn't do him any harm..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ring the school, there are a lot of criteria on the list for new entrants (catchment area, siblings in school, travellers, child of past pupil or teacher etc. etc.) so it's good to know now what your chances are.

Advertisement