Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban garden/patio ideas

Options
  • 15-03-2021 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Afternoon all
    Trying to do some magic in our rear garden/patio/yard. About 6x6.5 msq...but car parking and shed account for about 3/4 of it already. Have to be practical (unfortunately !!). Likely to go with gravel for car area and the rest patio with raised narrow beds at the edges. My questions:
    - Limited scope for trees but I'd love to put 2-3 tall narrow trees in; 2-3m tall with max. spread 1m. Thinking Cypress "totem"...or Obelisk ??. Anything else I might consider ??.
    - We have two 2 NW-facing walls we plan to put trellis/creepers (2mx2m panels). Any obvious contenders ??.
    Many thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Quote from another thread today about plants for north facing walls (my post)
    North facing - pyracantha, honeysuckle, climbing hydrangea, some climbing roses, garrya eliptica, ivy. All of these would be better with strong wires well anchored, rather than trellis.

North west is marginally easier than north, but much the same will apply. I would not recommend trellis, any plants for a north facing wall would tend to have fairly strong branches, you would be better with well anchored eyes and wire.

Prunus Amanogawa is a fairly narrow columnar cherry tree with good flowers and autumn foliage interest.

Advertisement