Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downgrading from iPhone - cheapest Android that won't drive me nuts

• 15-03-2021 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

As said in the title, I'm giving the missus my iPhone XR after she broke hers and I can't justify spending another €500-600 on an iPhone for myself. In any case, I'm looking for a dual sim phone.

The Xaomi Redmi Note 9T

I see that it has 5G, but that doesn't really interest me.

Moving from an iPhone, would it be annoying to use this? I only ask because of bad experiences I've had with cheapish androids in the past in terms of lag, performance and battery life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

onrail wrote: »
    As said in the title, I'm giving the missus my iPhone XR after she broke hers and I can't justify spending another €500-600 on an iPhone for myself. In any case, I'm looking for a dual sim phone.

The Xaomi Redmi Note 9T

Moving from an iPhone, would it be annoying to use this? I only ask because of bad experiences I've had with cheapish androids in the past in terms of lag, performance and battery life.
    No sweat moving from apple,I did after only a few months,glad to be back on android, Apple security Iis tops but the lack of storage etc drove me nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sounds like you should be giving her the cheap phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

iPhone XR has a 2942 mAh battery. The Redmi has a 5000 mAh battery.
    Its not a direct comparison, the Redmi has a bigger screen for example. But I would expect it to be better than the XR. I would think the performance would be similar.

Really comes down to how you like the Apple interface over Android OS and how easy you can adjust to the change. Some people will be able to adjust others won't. I switched the OH a few years back, as the lack of storage was just constantly a problem. Also getting photos off the phone and out of the cloud was also a headache.

I will say I think its hard to beat the iPhone camera. If you have other Apple gear as in other people in the family mainly have iPhones or you have MacBooks etc, then I would stick with Apple. I think Android is better bang for buck myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭onrail

AngryLips wrote: »
    Sounds like you should be giving her the cheap phone

You can tell her that! Nah she’s had hers for the guts of 6 years to be fair and I’m looking for a dual sim phone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement

Xiamois are way better quality than the older cheap Androids.
    I had a Redmi Note 5 for about 20 months til I smashed the screen. Had lost the ultimate battery performance but still got through a full day no problem (including Pokemon Go which wrecks the battery).
    On a Redmi Note 9 now and aside from a 3+ hour session of Pokemon Go generally get a full 2 days use before it dips below 20%.
    Performance is bang on, no lag that I've come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My aunt and uncle, devotees for many years to iPhone, switched to cheap Xiaomi's about 3 years ago when they visited me in Malaysia. Last year they upgraded to the latest(at the time) redmi notes and swear they will never go back to Apple.

Myself, I am on my 3rd Xiaomi, a redmi note 7 and am a happy consumer. Bought my mum a note 9 in Nov and she loves it.

Basically I should get a commission considering the converts I have made, but I do think they make great phones that don't make you sell a kidney to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hello2020

The Xaomi Redmi Note 9T

I switched to Xiomi Redmi note in Jan after using iPhone for last 5 years and don't regret at all.
    after that I have bought two more Redmi notes for my family !!

Witchie wrote: »
    My aunt and uncle, devotees for many years to iPhone, switched to cheap Xiaomi's about 3 years ago when they visited me in Malaysia. Last year they upgraded to the latest(at the time) redmi notes and swear they will never go back to Apple.

Myself, I am on my 3rd Xiaomi, a redmi note 7 and am a happy consumer. Bought my mum a note 9 in Nov and she loves it.

Basically I should get a commission considering the converts I have made, but I do think they make great phones that don't make you sell a kidney to pay for them.

Same, I've been asked several times if I work for them :P

You had all convinced me, went to check the amazon price and the offer they had on (£159) had expired :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hello2020

You had all convinced me, went to check the amazon price and the offer they had on (£159) had expired :mad:

there was a good offer from Vodafone when you switch for these phones but it seems to have expired now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Three also sell Xiaomi phones.

My last 3 phones have all been Xiaomi, having moved from Samsung devices. Fantastic phones, they really are. You'll have no bother with them at all. They even have some iPhone features like the Quick Ball toggle etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wish I had checked this thread earlier :(
    Any way I got a Samsung A12. Grand but I needed a protective cover and accidentally ordered 2 , so I have one o the go here if anyone needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Samsung Galaxy A12. On sale in Aldi Germany. € 119.00 what do think good buy or leave it on the shelf.

1 week on after buying the Xaomi Poco X3 NFC 128GB (£169), and I'm really pleasantly surprised.

Compared with the iPhone XR, I can't fault the performance at all. Speakers are maybe a little substandard, and the case seems a little cheap, but for the money, I'm astounded.

Longevity and durability will be the big tests - I'll report back in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

1 week on after buying the Xaomi Poco X3 NFC 128GB (£169), and I'm really pleasantly surprised.

Compared with the iPhone XR, I can't fault the performance at all. Speakers are maybe a little substandard, and the case seems a little cheap, but for the money, I'm astounded.

Longevity and durability will be the big tests - I'll report back in 6 months.

My son has a Poco 2.5 years and it's still mint

Advertisement