Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griselinia Hedge Dying

Options
  • 15-03-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We have a 20 year old griselinia hedge seaside location in county Cork, and it has never had any problems over the years, however last year one plant at the centre of it started looking lighter in colour and then losing its leaves then looked dead, and in the past few months the trouble seems to have spread to the plants either side and now they look dead also. I have images to show but cannot post as new user, so can post these in time.

As this hedge runs about 50 feet from the front of our house and all down the side to the back boundary, I am now worried that this is spreading and will kill all of our levely hedge.

Can someone please offer advise on what may be the problem and also what to do to stop it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We had a problem with a laurel hedge with leaves turning yellow and a product called rooster green was recommended.
    It worked a treat for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There are various fungi that kill off Griselinia, all the houses where I grew up had them as hedges and one year 10% of all of them died off.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/garden-work-1.224098

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭blackbox

I trimmed my griselinia up to November last year - keeps it neat all winter.

Now I'm worried.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sleahy296

We trimmed late last year also..maybe October.. But there was one plant looking sick already at that stage...
    Must worse now.

Thinking we will have to dig out all the sick dead ones... After 20 years of growing is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I am thinking of planting a grislinia hedge, I have no gardening skills, have anyone of you got advice on where to start. I assume it will be easy enough to buy suitable plants so I was hoping to plant in the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have left it a bit late for bare root planting, you probably wouldn't even get the trees now till next season (November-ish). You might use the better weather to prepare the site then all you will have to do in November is pop them in.

Create a strip about (at least) a metre wide, remove all grass and weeds and turn it over, dig in some rotted manure well down, then leave it till you are ready to plant. Don't plant too near the boundary/fence/whatever. About 12 to 18inches from the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

solerina wrote: »
    I am thinking of planting a grislinia hedge, I have no gardening skills, have anyone of you got advice on where to start. I assume it will be easy enough to buy suitable plants so I was hoping to plant in the next week or so.

My advice would be don’t put it in. It’s a weed. Gets out of control easily if you don’t stay on top of it every year. Even loose clippings take root

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had a hedge of it, which I got rid of as I didn't like the look of it, but it was well behaved and tidy. Wouldn't be my choice, but if that is what the poster want, well go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just noticed yellow spotting on the leaves of our griselinia hedge. It's planted about 2 years. Any advice?:)
    From reading online, it seems it may not be getting enough water. Just wanted to check here before doing anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

looksee wrote: »
    You have left it a bit late for bare root planting, you probably wouldn't even get the trees now till next season (November-ish). You might use the better weather to prepare the site then all you will have to do in November is pop them in.

Create a strip about (at least) a metre wide, remove all grass and weeds and turn it over, dig in some rotted manure well down, then leave it till you are ready to plant. Don't plant too near the boundary/fence/whatever. About 12 to 18inches from the boundary.

Thanks for this information, is there any evergreen broadleaf suitable hedge plant that I could plant in the next few weeks ? I would love to get something in before the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

solerina wrote: »
    Thanks for this information, is there any evergreen broadleaf suitable hedge plant that I could plant in the next few weeks ? I would love to get something in before the summer.

Bare root season is probably over but you can still get hedge plants in pots that can be planted at any time of year. They will need a bit of watering if there is a lack of rain when they are planted first. The bare root are better value as you can get bigger plants at a lower price but the potted ones allow more flexibility in planting time. This price list of a nursery near where I live has a section for container grown plants that should still be possible to purchase and plant. Maybe check with them or a local supplier what they have in stock but they list Griselinia in pots for 4euro each although I personally think something like Pyracantha, Holly or Portugal laurel would be nicer. When the girlfriend got planning permission for her house a few years back we were instructed that Griselinia or Leylandii should not be used in the landscaping and I think this was due to the over reliance on these plants for hedges in the county already and the findings that Griselinia being non native was not very useful to wildlife compared to some other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

spose wrote: »
    My advice would be don’t put it in. It’s a weed. Gets out of control easily if you don’t stay on top of it every year. Even loose clippings take root

Likewise. I just chopped a 15 foot section of it that had been planted for decorative purposes by this house's former owner.
    So satisfying chopping it down. Going to plant some flowering shrubs there instead. It makes a great border but if left get out of control becomes very woody and top heavy.

Advertisement