Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players you underrated

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

pjohnson wrote: »
    I see Gravesen and raise you Julien Faubert.

That was a weird few years for the Galacticos :pac:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-julien-faubert-to-real-madrid-is-still-the-most-bizarre-transfer-ever-20200801

Di Stefano’s
    Face is priceless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Luka Modric, thought he was decent as spurs but was surprised when he went to such a big club as Madrid. His performances in the world cup for Croatia and been such an integral part of Madrid dominating Europe for a few years demonstrated his ability. Event he other night against Atalanta he was so composed on the ball and never panicked with Atalantas high press game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    I know he's still playing, but I really think Riyad Mahrez has been underrated for quite a while now. It's likely because of the lack of minutes he gets with City, but the style of player he is, he probably still has another 5 top years in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Re: Ibra

Always wished United had gone in for him and Thiago Silva in 2011 when they left AC for PSG.

2 players I always felt were a bit wasted in France. (Sorry France :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Jordi Cruyff. Watched back on some of his performances for United and he was very solid, probably their best player in any game I seen him in. Went to Alaves and pulled the strings, leading them to a European final. Very underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Obviously as a kid you do miss a lot of nuance and certain positions gain more headlines than others.

But looking back I can see clearly why I never noticed him until he was by and large on his literal last legs.

England had a serious number of quality centre backs in the late 90's into the mid 00's; Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Adams, Carragher, Southgate, Woodgate and Keown all floating around it was easy to over look him at the time.

But Ledley King was an absolute Trojan warrior of a player. I genuinely only remember noticing when his knees were totally shot and he couldn't train properly, how good he actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anyone that doesn’t include Henderson in this is lying!

He went from yard dog to an integral part of the greatest team ever to grace the earth.

The last bit of that sentence may not be true but Henderson has a quality that the majority of modern day players lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Inzaghi for sure. There were times I couldn't believe he was a pro footballer and yet what a goalscorer. Conversely you could do a seperate thread on players you overrated. I saw Marlon Harewood play in a youth tournament and told everyone who'd listen that this was the next Alan Shearer. Bottom line. I should never be listened to when talking about strikers.

Goalkeepers too.

Maybe defenders as well.

But I can spot a midfielder. Actually if I'm 100 per cent honest I probably can't.

So what's left?

Oh.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Gavlor wrote: »
    Anyone that doesn’t include Henderson in this is lying!

I was underwhelmed by his signing but always liked Henderson. There were plenty of vocal fans on his back early on but there was a significant section of the fan base that saw his worth. In fact I'd say a lot of us felt gut punched when he got suspended at the back end of the 2014 season. A much bigger reason we didn't win that year than the much lauded/lamented slip. That was seven years ago, it's not like fans only realised two years ago the player he is but he did kick on massively once he made captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ronny Johnsen at Man Utd, one of the most underrated defensive lynchpins during their golden era. Only when I watched back highlights of their title successes that his quality shone through.

Advertisement