Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current guidelines re: travelling England to Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭midnightblue

Forget it, no need to quarantine in the UK as its within the CTA (Comon Travel Area).

I got an email I'll dig out to prove it if you like.

That's great, thank you for confirming (and sharing the email from NHS)! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That's great, thank you for confirming! :)

Although technically you still need a good reason for you travel at this end. Going on holiday still isn't going to cut it afaik if you get stopped on your way to the plane or ferry.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭midnightblue

Although technically you still need a good reason for you travel at this end. Going on holiday still isn't going to cut it afaik if you get stopped on your way to the plane or ferry.

Cheers for this. I do have an appointment scheduled for the trip, will defo have paperwork to present to the guards if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drmatty

Hi I was onto the ferry company and they confirmed no issue travelling to England, no quarantine required. The issue is coming back to Ireland where you need a PCR test from within 72 hrs of travel, they cost around £100.

You are correct. Also remember the PCR test has still to be valid when you arrive back in Ireland so you have to balance getting the results back against the possibilities of ferrys being cancelled in the 72 hour period from when you take the test. Not too much of an issue coming into the summer but a pain in the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

drmatty wrote: »
    Hi I was onto the ferry company and they confirmed no issue travelling to England, no quarantine required. The issue is coming back to Ireland where you need a PCR test from within 72 hrs of travel, they cost around £100.

Ferry into Dublin or rosslare? Dorsnt apply if you get ferry into Belfast as its UK to UK,I believe ?

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Ferry into Dublin or rosslare? Dorsnt apply if you get ferry into Belfast as its UK to UK,I believe ?

I'd double check that as I think unless you stay up north for 14 days you still need to fill in a PLF and then isolate here for 14 days.

Now maybe people are ignoring and getting away with it no ones checking but afaik the risk is a £2000 fine.

I'd double check that as I think unless you stay up north for 14 days you still need to fill in a PLF and then isolate here for 14 days.

Now maybe people are ignoring and getting away with it no ones checking but afaik the risk is a £2000 fine.

Yes but on the plus no expensive PCR tests, no risk that fool Donnelly takes a notion to put the UK on MHQ list overnight - plus the chances of the gards knocking on your door and issuing a fine are slim to none.

I also dont have an issue with quarantining at home if I must, but having to fork put for PCR tests within CTA is madness when you can come in from UK 90 minutes up the road and avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have to go to the UK on June 17th: does anybody know if there is any chance that the PCR test requirement when returning from the UK to here will be abolished by June 20th?

The PCR requirement makes no sense: the UK Covid figures are better than ours. When you factor in that the the UK government is doing about 1.4 million tests per day - 800,000 PCR and 600,000 Rapid Flow - whereas our government is doing about 18,000 tests every day.

If we were doing as much testing as the Brits (on a pro rata basis), our figures would be many times worse.

• Advertisement

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have to go to the UK on June 17th: does anybody know if there is any chance that the PCR test requirement when returning from the UK to here will be abolished by June 20th?

The PCR requirement makes no sense: the UK Covid figures are better than ours. When you factor in that the the UK government is doing about 1.4 million tests per day - 800,000 PCR and 600,000 Rapid Flow - whereas our government is doing about 18,000 tests every day.

If we were doing as much testing as the Brits (on a pro rata basis), our figures would be many times worse.

While the Elephant in the room in the North I suspect the reasoning is to stop new variants entering the country.

I'm travelling again the beginning of June back a week later and I'm still expecting to do a PCR test.

Following announcements intensely and haven't seen anything indicating PCR tests from uk to ROI will be waived by mid june (unless you count leo saying "maybe they might restore the CTA soon, maybe before autumn possibly but also variants"...etc)

Expect the worst and hope for the best - if flying into Dublin plan to take a PCR before return or look at flights into Belfast where no PCR is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Quite honestly I wouldn't bet on it. To me it seems that the only reason Ireland has opened up at all this year is because the rules have lost all respect and are being widely flouted.

PommieBast wrote: »
    ... To me it seems that the only reason Ireland has opened up at all this year is because the rules have lost all respect and are being widely flouted.

I think the over 50s etc being vaccinated and hospital numbers plummeting was key also, to be fair like.

Advertisement