Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build - how did u do it?

• 15-03-2021 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

New build - what, how, when to do - is a regular question.
    i have the same :-)
    if in a new build, the builder is not doing cat cabling, what are your options?
    i am sure if the builder is not putting networking cables in all rooms, then he won't let you do it on your own too before getting the keys.
    so in such a situation what are the options?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The sparky will probably run the cables for you, up there with running TV cables.

Personally, I'd be running cat 6 cables to wherever you'd run a TV point to, then another in a corner in every room, by having the Cat 6 you can use the cable for other stuff like TV signals, data, CCTV or whatever, it's a lot easier to put it in at the start than try to put it in afterwards. In years to come you might want to change the cable so make sure proper ducting is put in. Friend of mine is doing a timber panel house and I'm actually quite jealous of the way he can run cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Clareman wrote: »
    . In years to come you might want to change the cable so make sure proper ducting is put in.

So put in good ducting throughout the house so that the Cat6 cable could be upgraded in future?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So put in good ducting throughout the house so that the Cat6 cable could be upgraded in future?

Ya never know what you might want to do, if there's proper ducting in place you might be able to run extra cables or whatever you might. It'll cost a bit more now but could save a fortune in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

I'm reading it that the OP is talking about a new build in a housing estate instead of self build so could getting the house just as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Daveq wrote: »
    I'm reading it that the OP is talking about a new build in a housing estate instead of self build so could getting the house just as is?

yes.
    its not a self build. so i dont have any control.
    the builders are not going to put any wiring for networking.
    so what is the option?
    i cant get a spark after moving in.
    so basically i should live with it.
    has anyone got wiring done after moving in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I was similar. Moved in to a 'smart home', really shouldn't be allowed advertise as that. They had cat6 ran from a outside Comms box to under the stairs, presumably for internet. My internet is virgin fibre so they didn't need it.

Then 4 other cat6 cables from under the stairs to god knows where in the rest of the house. I knew one of them had to be the living room as there is an ethernet port there. So that took a few mins of testing. The other 3 were for heating controls and boiler.

You'll probably have similar but you'll have to do the hard work yourself of investigating as foreman etc. won't have much if a clue.

They mightn't be running network cables but are they running electrical or TV cables? Have they given details on ducting or anything like that? I'd imagine there'd be some TV points included at least in the build but I'd be annoyed if the builders are going to be the ones who decide where the TV is going to be installed in your house. My advise would be to speak to the foreman on the site and ask if there was anyway that they could run extra cables for you, tell them that you'll supply the cables and pay the bit extra if needed, chances are they'll just do it when running the power/TV lines. I would imagine that terminating the cables or installing wall sockets would be part of the final electrical work so I wouldn't imagine they'll do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks for suggestions .
    i guess its a common problem with all the new builds with standard wiring - one point somewhere in the living room for upc and one tv point
    i know some new build have "smart" wiring but not all new builds are lucky

thanks for suggestions .
    i guess its a common problem with all the new builds with standard wiring - one point somewhere in the living room for upc and one tv point
    i know some new build have "smart" wiring but not all new builds are lucky

There's probably going to be a central point where services come in, that'll be Virgin or Eir or whatever, as it's a new build I'd have thought you'd be allowed to select where the services go into, normally people will put them in beside the TV point but not necessarily.

Often "smart wiring" is just neutral to the light switches, at this stage a lot of people will think wireless when thinking smart which is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

I'm in a new build, specs state wired network points. There's one cable behind a blanking plate in the living room, I think its other end is in the utility room. There's one more I've found in the smallest bedroom. Point being, that I'd no choice in what rooms the cabling was run too or terminated.

I've used a wireless setup and while I miss the speed of file copies from NAS to PC/MAC everything else is fine. Sometimes Wireless can be an effective substitute. Who remembers wired ceiling speakers? :)

Past house was also a new build with cabling to all rooms. There I had a patch panel, switch and RJ45 wall plates everywhere. Loved that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement