Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD 4T My Passport Data Recovery

Options
  • 15-03-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

I lent my other half my external harddrive which had images from a previous holiday on it that I had forgotten to back up. When I received the drive back today and booted up my PC a message flashed up stating that the D drive (the external WD 4T) was being repaired. When I opened it up half of the images from the drive had been removed.

My partner insists that they removed the drive correctly and that it was not dropped but they are not very tech savvy. I've turned off the PC and the drive and started them up again to see if it changes anything but half of the images including the holiday pics that weren't backed up are gone.

I'm Googling options in Galway City/County and a lot of people are saying that I should get it professionally done. These images mean a lot but I'm not going to waste over €500 getting it repaired.

What are my options? Thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Try some software like Recuva maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HorseField

Spocker wrote: »
    Try some software like Recuva maybe?

Cheers, do you know if I'm putting it more at risk by doing this before I send it away?I wouldn't mind paying something like €100 if I could get the pics back, it would be worth it IMO.

Thanks again.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

It should be fine, you'll just need additional space somewhere else (USB stick, or other drive) to copy any files that are found

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spocker wrote: »
    It should be fine, you'll just need additional space somewhere else (USB stick, or other drive) to copy any files that are found

I disagree.

An amateur will often cause more loss, a pro will put the drive to RO before mounting and carefully pull everything off in one go in case something is on the edge of full failure.

All depends on how much the data is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

HorseField wrote: »
    Cheers, do you know if I'm putting it more at risk by doing this before I send it away?I wouldn't mind paying something like €100 if I could get the pics back, it would be worth it IMO.

Thanks again.

more than likely the files are still there. just marked as deleted. first thing is don't copy or write anything else to the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Would connecting the drive back to the partners computer and checking the recycle bin be worthwile?

I would be cloning it first under linux using dd
    And work on that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Would connecting the drive back to the partners computer and checking the recycle bin be worthwile?
    Absolutely definitely the first thing to try.

Good luck finding a proper professional.. In my experience, 9% of them are amateurs, 9% are lucky amateurs,the others will charge horrendous amounts of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HorseField

Cheers Guys,

I decided to go with my own recovery as I was quoted €500 to €1200 for the recovery professionally and I don't think that holiday snaps etc. are worth this.

Spocker has mentioned Recuva and a mate also recommended EaseUS for data recovery. Would anyone offer any other programs or preferences regarding the above mentioned?

Grma,

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I used EaseUS before and found it good. Recovered photos (will also find other file types and formats) from an SD card that was showing memory in use but wouldn't show the files (I.e knew there was something on it, but couldn't view / access them).

• Advertisement
Advertisement