Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission requirements

Options
  • 16-03-2021 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I have two questions, Would planning permission be required to lay down a secure concrete yard on private land?
    Would planning permission be required to build a workshop on same private land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

DeFinch89 wrote: »
    I have two questions, Would planning permission be required to lay down a secure concrete yard on private land?
    By "secure concrete yard" are we talking about walls, gates and so forth? Or are the walls, etc, already there, and all you want to do is pave the area they enclose?

The provision of a hard surface within the curtilage of a house may be an exempt development, depending on where it is relative to the house (In front? Beside? Behind?), and what the area of the hard surface will be, relative to the area of the rest of the garden.
    Would planning permission be required to build a workshop on same private land?
    Generally, yes. Unless you can shoehorn it into one of the standard categories of exempted development - e.g. there's already a house on the land, and the "workshop" is an extension to the rear of the house and the floor area will be low enough that the develpment is exempt.

Tl;dr. In principal you need planning permission to create a secure yard and erect a workshop, unless you come within one of the categories of exempt development. You're going to have to tell us a lot more about the work you want to do, and the "private land" on which you want to do it, before you'll get any useful opinions as to whether it might be exempt.

Note also that, when erected, the use of the workshop for any particular activity may also require planning permission. What are you going to use it for, and is that a use that already goes on on the land, or will it represent a change of use?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DeFinch89

There wouldnt be a house on the land, it would be a random field I bought.
    I am a car enthusiast so it would be to park my cars and the workshop to work on the cars myself.
    It wouldnt be for business, making money, etc. Would be personal hobby use.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I am a car enthusiast so it would be to park my cars and the workshop to work on the cars myself.

then 100% planning permission is needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning Required.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DeFinch89

Would dumping a load of stone and making a makeshift yard require planning permission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Regardless of what structures you do or don't put on the land, you're going to need planning permission for the change of use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would dumping a load of stone and making a makeshift yard require planning permission?

Change of use from field to <insert your use here>.

Advertisement