Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV option just for sports

Options
  • 16-03-2021 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello

I haven't had a tv for 10 years so I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum for this question.

We have lived happily for 10 years with no TV access, but since Covid my OH is really missing going to the pub to watch sport games and now wants a system in place to watch sport such as champions league, 6 nations and maybe GAA big games at home.

We did try at length to solve this by using an antenna to connect to saorview but we can't get a decent signal. RTE2 doesnt come through at all.
    Our internet is pretty poor so streaming from RTE player and chromecasting to the TV results in a jumpy pixelated unwatchable service. Or maybe that is just what happens on RTE player with live streaming?
    I have checked with our ISP and I can get fibre in our home so I am happy to upgrade if that will help solve the issue.
    OH has eir sports package with his mobile service but that doesn't seem to show certain things in the aforementioned list.
    I REALLY don't want a big tv package in the home with tonnes of channels, we have children and I like our somewhat luddite life outside of advertising and mind numbing flicking through channels etc.

Are there any simple solutions to my OH problem ? Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks - cbear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭littlecbear

On further research it seems satellite may be a simple way to receive reliable saorview. Can anyone advise me what products I need for that? A dish alone or a settop box also? No interest in recording tv etc. Literally just watching the odd match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If Eir is your then get the upgraded internet ( do that anyway) and the Eir box with a Sports pack sub is what you need.

Unfortunately there is no legal way to get just the sports channels without a TV subscription.
    Freet to air saorview or UK terrestrials via aerial or satellite wont give you the sports element to the degree he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If you want to combine FTA Satellite (From Satalite dish ) with Saorview (Aerial) and a Now TV subscription with hdmi stick (Sky and BT Sports)is probably the most cost-effective way to watch the majority of sports on TV using legal means.
    Some TV's have both Sat and Saorview tuners included if you don't want to have a separate TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

What sort of antenna did you use? If it was just an internal one getting a proper aerial outside (or maybe even if the attic) should make the Saorview signal usable. That would get you GAA and Six Nations out of your list and maybe a few Champions league games.

NowTV Sports Extra sub would get you BT Sport for more Champions league games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately there is no legal way to get just the sports channels without a TV subscription. .

Now (TV) will do it, if you can live without recordings and with the slight delay.

Advertisement