Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fast-growing tree to cover neighbours patio

Options
  • 16-03-2021 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

I want to sow a tree which will grow to about 3-4m, without a significant spread, to stop us from looking at our neighbours patio. The reason I don't want a signficant spread is it will add to the shade in our south-facing garden if I do.

Anybody got any thoughts on what would be the best tree for such a purpose? I want something which grows quickly enough, can be maintained (I don't want to end up with something 7-8 tall and unmanageable) and I don't really mind if it is deciduous or evergreen.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have a similar plan at the moment and looking at either a Sorbus Olympic Flame or Amelanchier Obelisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah either of those look decent options, both will be in partial shade - do you know which would work better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Would you consider some preached trees assuming that these are going alongside a fence or divider? We have 4 Quercus ilex, evergreen oaks which have been down for 3 years now. They were a good height when we bought them but, most importantly, they hve completely filled out the frame providing a screen. These would not interfere significantly with sunlight, except when directly behind whereas a full rounded tree would.

They look interesting alright, what height were they when you bought and what rate do they grow roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Marcusm wrote: »
    Would you consider some preached trees assuming that these are going alongside a fence or divider? We have 4 Quercus ilex, evergreen oaks which have been down for 3 years now. They were a good height when we bought them but, most importantly, they hve completely filled out the frame providing a screen. These would not interfere significantly with sunlight, except when directly behind whereas a full rounded tree would.

Looking for something similar. Would you have a photo of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Birch are fast growing and cast only light dappled shade. They are some of the first trees to come into leaf. Mine have just started and they have beautiful yellow colour in the Autumn. One of mine I keep topped!

Sundew wrote: »
    Birch are fast growing and cast only light dappled shade. They are some of the first trees to come into leaf. Mine have just started and they have beautiful yellow colour in the Autumn. One of mine I keep topped!

That might be just the job there.

Advertisement