Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

Strumms wrote: »
    I held BLM to the EXACT same standard, I’m on record here actually saying that.

No loss of credibility...

Fascists have a long history of violence and incitement of violence to destabilize Democratic situations and outcomes and achieve their non democratic goals...

Don’t be fooled by t-shirts, slogans all the rest of the bullshît....

People who disagree with the lockdown (I'm not one of them) aren't fascist.

It's mad that you think they are.

T-shirts and slogans don't sway me chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was being very sarcastic.

No issue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And I've already explained why I think it was appropriately done.

That would be great if that was the question that was put to you. You refused to answer whether or not the protest could've been postponed until after the pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

You have a disgusting take on what this protest is about. For the record, I'm against it. But people are literally at the end of their ability to look after their families. Yes, there will be dickheads, but the majority will be people who think that if Centra can open, their shop can open. If Dunnes stores can open, their store can open. If you can bring your dog to get groomed, you can get your hair cut. It's not denying there is a pandemic, but shopping for a goodfellas pizza is hardly essential.

You obsession with people having cans is pathetic.

Everyone who disagrees with me is an alcho and a super spreader.

Grow up

I can’t count how many times you have posted something along the lines of “I’m against the protest but” before explaining in detail exactly why you think people should be protesting, before accusing people of being insincere.

I am completely forthright in my belief that the protest should not go ahead because the majority of the people there are yahoos looking for an excuse to go on the tear on St Patrick’s Day. Meanwhile you try to obfuscate the issue with whataboutery, “I don’t think it’s a good idea buuuut” and telling people to grow up. You’re striking me as a Creeping Jesus, pal, and I’m not falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭KaneToad

2,500 is less than 20% of the Gardaí, I would have thought there would be more out tomorrow

Overtime cost would be too much.

• Advertisement

I can’t count how many times you have posted something along the lines of “I’m against the protest but” before explaining in detail exactly why you think people should be protesting, before accusing people of being insincere.

I am completely forthright in my belief that the protest should not go ahead because the majority of the people there are yahoos looking for an excuse to go on the tear on St Patrick’s Day. Meanwhile you try to obfuscate the issue with whataboutery, “I don’t think it’s a good idea buuuut” and telling people to grow up. You’re striking me as a Creeping Jesus, pal, and I’m not falling for it.

I can't be more forthright in saying I am against ANY type of protest in the current climate. That's not up for debate.

I do understand that others don't hold my opinion and I do support their right to protest, whether it be the one today or the one tomorrow.

I disagree with both, not because of their goals, but because I don't think it's appropriate or safe.

Don't you dare misrepresent me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That would be great if that was the question that was put to you. You refused to answer whether or not the protest could've been postponed until after the pandemic.

Why would I, it wasn't my protest? :confused: I wasn't there, you'll have to ask the protesters themselves.

I've told you, repeatedly, what I consider a viable protest. I'm not going to tell anyone else what they can or can't protest about, within limits I also outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 2,500 aren't just ordinary plods.

I saw a van load of full riot squad at a garage on the N4 today, after drilling someplace.

They'll send the horses, the dogs, snatch squads, the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People who disagree with the lockdown (I'm not one of them) aren't fascist.

It's mad that you think they are.

T-shirts and slogans don't sway me chief.

People who disagree with lockdown are not fascist, I never intimated that they were... democracy gives people the right to disagree and express their views..

However

People who would use violence, intimidation and break laws enacted to ensure the safety and physical wellbeing of citizens in order to make money and or fulfill ‘perceived’ personal / social insufficiency are fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’ll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I have a feeling it’ll be all hype and very little will happen. Let’s see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

So, anyone know what's being planned for tomorrow and by whom? Will we see a repeat of the scenes from the last protest?

I'm assuming if there is something happening at Rte Gemma is involved

The only people I can see planning anything are the Gards and RTE

People who disagree with lockdown are not fascist, I never intimated that they were... democracy gives people the right to disagree and express their views..

However

People who would use violence, intimidation and break laws enacted to ensure the safety and physical wellbeing of citizens in order to make money and or fulfill ‘perceived’ personal / social insufficiency are fascist.

Do you consider BLM fascist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

The Gards and the likes of RTE know full well whats going to happen. A small bunch of trakkies will be out to cause typical Paddies day/Halloween night havoc and the likes of RTE will try to use the imagery of this havoc to claim anybody who is disgruntled or disagrees with the current restrictions is one of these pants tucked into socks articles and showcase it on the six o clock news.
    Word of warning for RTE tho, doing so again like you did last time won't help you any.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bfa1509 wrote: »
    The only people I can see planning anything are the Gards and RTE

This is it, there's not much happening on socialst media to suggest anything large happening.
    A show of forece is always useful though it shows the Govement are in control, Kim Jong-un is a big fan of those displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

buried wrote: »
    The Gards and the likes of RTE know full well whats going to happen. A small bunch of trakkies will be out to cause typical Paddies day/Halloween night havoc and the likes of RTE will try to use the imagery of this havoc to claim anybody who is disgruntled or disagrees with the current restrictions is one of these pants tucked into socks articles and showcase it on the six o clock news.
    Word of warning for RTE tho, doing so again like you did last time won't help you any.

It's a protest against RTE? I'll join that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

It’ll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I have a feeling it’ll be all hype and very little will happen. Let’s see.

Itll be a lot more peaceful than the usual St Patrick's day in Dublin.

Do you consider BLM fascist?

As long as they behave, conduct themselves appropriately and in line with public health restrictions / advice and respect the HEALTH & wellbeing of the citizens of this country I’d have no problem with them. If they conduct themselves in a manner that would enable themselves by definition to be considered ‘fascist’ then that’s on them... we all have choices when we get up in the morning.... what we choose to do, say and how we choose to behave... that will influence how we are perceived, respected, labeled and thought of..

buried wrote: »

I agree. And the same tits will be on here claiming that the fringe represent the majority. And invariably they will be the ones who champion THEIR minorities as being oppressed.

It's gonna be a **** storm tomorrow.

To quote trump.... There will be good people on both sides.

Sadly, a lot will be cnuts

A shïtstorm ? Sadly I think you are correct, to an extent . There is a lot of pent up anger / frustration, boredom and disillusionment...

It’s probably been 100 years, going back to the war of independence since this country has been so challenged...

Of course the scanger element kicks off to an extent no matter every paddy’s but this bandwagon AND paddy’s day ? Hmmmm I just hope things pass RELATIVELY peacefully...

You think it’ll be a kickback against government, Gardai, restrictions though? IF it kicks off.. it won’t be, shops will be looted, ordinary citizens assaulted, property destroyed, taken.... it will be scumbags just scumming in the main..

A shïtstorm ? Sadly I think you are correct, to an extent . There is a lot of pent up anger / frustration, boredom and disillusionment...

It’s probably been 100 years, going back to the war of independence since this country has been so challenged...

Of course the scanger element kicks off to an extent no matter every paddy’s but this bandwagon AND paddy’s day ? Hmmmm I just hope things pass RELATIVELY peacefully...

You think it’ll be a kickback against government, Gardai, restrictions though? IF it kicks off.. it won’t be, shops will be looted, ordinary citizens assaulted, property destroyed, taken.... it will be scumbags just scumming in the main..

Sorry what?

I reckon it might be scumbags being dickheads.

Ido think there are legitimate concerns and legitimate protesters who are looking out for themselves .

I abhor violence and I abhor dickheads.

Tomorrow is going to embolden whoever.

Happy St Patrick's Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

like any protest, people should ask why its happening.

like really, why are people protesting. the last legit one i remember is when the pensiones pay got cut.

most since then, have been scumbags looking for an excuse to riot.

but, is there a coherent plan to ireland reopening? a roll out of the vaccines? its seems not, so you cant blame people for losing their patience.

like really, why are people protesting. the last legit one i remember is when the pensiones pay got cut.

but, is there a coherent plan to ireland reopening? a roll out of the vaccines? its seems not, so you cant blame people for losing their patience.

People can be frustrated, loose patience, but failure to adhere to restrictions and public health guidelines means more people getting covid... more pressure on the health services.. they are contributing ZERO to the situation...

Even if there are a hardcore of people who wish to protest they KNOW they will incite a shîtstorm...

Tonight you’ll have the wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, sons and daughters of members of An Garda Síochána...not going to enjoy dinner, not going to sleep very easy, not going to be really focusing on the movie on tv, but with an eye on the news / internet... concerned... disbelief that with everything that’s happening, the risk their loved ones endure with the addition of covid into their lives, that their loved ones in the ‘land of saints and scholars’... will go to work on what has historically been a day of celebration, who might have to risk their lives, in the midst of keeping themselves and others safe.... some country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

People can be frustrated, loose patience, but failure to adhere to restrictions and public health guidelines means more people getting covid... more pressure on the health services.. they are contributing ZERO to the situation...

Even if there are a hardcore of people who wish to protest they KNOW they will incite a shîtstorm...

Tonight you’ll have the wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, sons and daughters of members of An Garda Síochána...not going to enjoy dinner, not going to sleep very easy, not going to be really focusing on the movie on tv, but with an eye on the news / internet... concerned... disbelief that with everything that’s happening, the risk their loved ones endure with the addition of covid into their lives, that their loved ones in the ‘land of saints and scholars’... will go to work on what has historically been a day of celebration, who might have to risk their lives, in the midst of keeping themselves and others safe.... some country.

with all that, is there a coherent roll out programme for the vaccine?

does anyone have any indication of when they may get vaccinated?

as an example, when does my dad with copd get a vaccine? No word from the GP, cos the GP doesn't know.

how hard is it to order a bunch of vaccines and administer them.

as an example, when does my dad with copd get a vaccine? No word from the GP, cos the GP doesn't know.

Very easy, being supplied with them with the demand for them world wide and time it takes to manufacture some of them are another story entirely.

EDIT: 60 days from start to finish of the process for making one of them I heard today, can't recall if it was the AZ one or not.

I would have thought that COPD would have been a priority condition.. :confused:

Both my parents got vaccinated (first shot) last week... both now in their ‘80s, mother just turned it... my father has a heart complaint, mother one or two very minor issues such as arthritis...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I do, but that is purely because I am registered with a GP over in the UK.

The trouble with the Irish government is that even within the bounds imposed by Covid-19 they have been useless. For instance the Irish support for SME's (TLDR: max €25k; 4.5-5.5% APR over 3 years) is a joke. British passport renewed within 4 days while Irish passport office closed until whenever Level-5 officially ends. Needing inbound flight passengers to splash €110 on PCR tests but don't bother even phoning numbers on PLF forms. No wonder people want to protest/riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The reality is we are in the middle of a pandemic and no protest is going to change that. It only makes the situation worse actually.

Most of the people at these "protests" don't actually care and would use any excuse to smash the place up or some gardai anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

COPD ? Has your father contacted his GP. My mother is 75 with a heart condition a d was down for the 23 or 24th but with the clotting delays it will now be later . What age is your father ?
    There is a global pandemic and the vaccines needed to be invented and manufactured so whe that may cause a day it looks to me like we aren't doing so bad.

• Advertisement

Well, have fun if you're all going to head off to a protest tomorrow which will mean the few places that would normally be open won't be able to make any money tomorrow.

I'll be in the Phoenix park, having a nice walk.

Advertisement