Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Just shows how bored people are in lockdown with all these pointless protests, as soon as the country opens back up they’ll be long forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

tommybrees wrote: »
    Yee can mind yer own business so and follow restrictions till the day yee die. Let the rest of us who wanna live, live. I'm sure wheel be grand without yee.

Is this a pisstake? I can’t actually tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Vestiapx wrote: »
    COPD ? Has your father contacted his GP. My mother is 75 with a heart condition a d was down for the 23 or 24th but with the clotting delays it will now be later . What age is your father ?
    There is a global pandemic and the vaccines needed to be invented and manufactured so whe that may cause a day it looks to me like we aren't doing so bad.
    Strumms wrote: »
    I would have thought that COPD would have been a priority condition.. :confused:

Both my parents got vaccinated (first shot) last week... both now in their ‘80s, mother just turned it... my father has a heart complaint, mother one or two very minor issues such as arthritis...

maybe its portlaoise.

if charlie was there, no issue.

i suppose that's an issue in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The people protesting tomorrow are the lowest of the low, in my view. I’m not trying to inflame anyway, I truly believe that the majority of the people going are doing it for an excuse to go on the batter on St Patrick’s Day.

Any chance you could ask Rocky to go in a bash some sense into a few heads tomorrow Adrian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's the protests for now, no parades :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Well, have fun if you're all going to head off to a protest tomorrow which will mean the few places that would normally be open won't be able to make any money tomorrow.

I'll be in the Phoenix park, having a nice walk.

Hopefully the Wellington monument doesn't fall and land on you. I'm not going to apportion blame or describe an unrealistic risk but I would be concerned if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Just shows how bored people are in lockdown with all these pointless protests, as soon as the country opens back up they’ll be long forgotten

Fingers crossed that the twitter hysteria over Sarah Everard dies down post-covid and as well the extremist sect who have clearly hijacked that cause get back on tinder, out to bars etc. and get the attention they'recravinf from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Vestiapx wrote: »
    COPD ? Has your father contacted his GP. My mother is 75 with a heart condition a d was down for the 23 or 24th but with the clotting delays it will now be later . What age is your father ?
    There is a global pandemic and the vaccines needed to be invented and manufactured so whe that may cause a day it looks to me like we aren't doing so bad.

Similar to my Mother, not a word from her GP, might get her to ring and see

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As much as i actually agree that there needs to be some form of protest against how shockingly bad this crisis has been managed, i imagine today will be mostly the same as the last protest. A tiny number of scum will start trouble, and everyone else that is there to peacefully protest will be painted with the same right win, anti-vax, conspiracy theorist brush. Doesn't matter if they did nothing, or have valid concerns.

It'll then be used as a stick to beat us with continued lockdowns. "Increase in numbers has nothing to do with schools re-opening, oh no. It's entirely down to the people who foolishly got pissed and protested on Paddy's day." or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Kiith wrote: »
    As much as i actually agree that there needs to be some form of protest against how shockingly bad this crisis has been managed, i imagine today will be mostly the same as the last protest. A tiny number of scum will start trouble, and everyone else that is there to peacefully protest will be painted with the same right win, anti-vax, conspiracy theorist brush. Doesn't matter if they did nothing, or have valid concerns.

It'll then be used as a stick to beat us with continued lockdowns. "Increase in numbers has nothing to do with schools re-opening, oh no. It's entirely down to the people who foolishly got pissed and protested on Paddy's day." or something like that.

I ca’nt believe how balanced you are as a moderator !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Set aside for a second the fact that the protesters are people you regard as nerdowells and unsolid citizens.

There has been unbelievable levels of buy-in, compliance and capitulation by the Irish people to the removal of basic rights and freedoms.

There needs to be ying to this yang.

There needs to be reminders to those in the halls of power that this denigration of our civil liberties is an extremely serious matter and we want them back. Fast. If these reminders includes a few boyos kicking off on the streets, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As stupid as the Sarah protests are they seemed to avoid attracting the dregs of society. The lockdown protests seem to appeal to that type. No wave of arrests yesterday, wonder how many today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

pjohnson wrote: »
    No wave of arrests yesterday, wonder how many today?

Can we get a poll???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

buried wrote: »
    The Gards and the likes of RTE know full well whats going to happen. A small bunch of trakkies will be out to cause typical Paddies day/Halloween night havoc and the likes of RTE will try to use the imagery of this havoc to claim anybody who is disgruntled or disagrees with the current restrictions is one of these pants tucked into socks articles and showcase it on the six o clock news.
    Word of warning for RTE tho, doing so again like you did last time won't help you any.

Anybody following the social media accounts of the typical attendee of one of these protests will know the score.

Alt right, follows Q, spouts anti Semitic rhetoric, shouts for ‘da homeless’, hates Bill Gates.
    Anti-restriction, anti-vaxx, anti-mask.
    Believes Ben Gilroy is a constitutional law expert.
    Rabidly anti ‘liberal’, pro Trump mainly, will mostly despise any transgender person or rights of same.
    Has totally bought into the CT stuff originating from the US.
    Refers to masks as muzzles.
    Shouts ‘scamdemic’ all day. Believes the hospitals are empty.
    Is an selfish, rotten, scummy, stupid ball bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Gardai should just invest in a huge slurry tank.....fill her up and let it fly. No need to risk put their lives at risk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pjohnson wrote: »
    As stupid as the Sarah protests are they seemed to avoid attracting the dregs of society. The lockdown protests seem to appeal to that type. No wave of arrests yesterday, wonder how many today?

(Mainly male) scumbags would stick out like a sore thumb in a by and large female attended protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Set aside for a second the fact that the protesters are people you regard as nerdowells and unsolid citizens.

There has been unbelievable levels of buy-in, compliance and capitulation by the Irish people to the removal of basic rights and freedoms.

There needs to be ying to this yang.

There needs to be reminders to those in the halls of power that this denigration of our civil liberties is an extremely serious matter and we want them back. Fast. If these reminders includes a few boyos kicking off on the streets, so be it.
    Conspiracy theorist nonsense.

The current restrictions have only been applied because of the pandemic. Once the pandemic is over and fewer people are at risk from the virus then they will be lifted. Protesting today would have no effect whatsoever on it bar potentially making it worse by generating a super-spreader event. That's the nuts and bolts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Obviously it's horrible if they take places up from homeless people.

But calling people ratlickers because you don't agree with them is really horrible. There really are some horrible people out there. Against facism? Ratlickers? Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The current restrictions have only been applied because of the pandemic. Once the pandemic is over and fewer people are at risk from the virus then they will be lifted. Protesting today would have no effect whatsoever on it bar potentially making it worse by generating a super-spreader event. That's the nuts and bolts of it.

Where is the conspiracy in that post?

Baldersash and Bullsh1t - whats the conspiracy? I'm well aware of the reasons for restrictions. What i'm saying is it behoves all of us to push back a bit when freedoms are removed to remind government that these are OUR rights and we'll not stand for any dragging of feet, mission creep or changing of goalposts slowing down their return. Go and have a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This will be a mix of societies real lowlifes both on the left and right. The usual rent a mob moan about everything and contribute nothing scum. Would love to see the Gardai be allowed go in heavy full baton charge to cheer up my Paddy's day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

Its interesting how boards do not use the mantra "attack the post not the poster" and "less of the generalisations" to the uses of accusations of being conspiracy theorists.

All that “halls of power,” “denigration of civil liberties” rubbish. The implication being that the restrictions have been imposed for reasons other than combatting the virus.

I would like to ask anyone who is for the protests in favour of our “civil liberties” (or the people who are “against it but actually I can see their point lol” :rolleyes: ) to explain to me what their alternative is for combatting the virus while also being able to live a wholly unrestricted life similar to February 2020. It doesn’t have to be in-depth, just a sentence or two summation of a real workable plan.

Otherwise I remain unchanged in my view that today’s protests are nothing more than an excuse for a rabble of pissed up yahoos looking to throw some shapes and “wreck the gaff.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think it will be the general gathering and drinking through the day that will cause issues rather than the protests .Of course the protests will get more media coverage especially if their is even a bit of trouble.

All that “halls of power,” “denigration of civil liberties” rubbish. The implication being that the restrictions have been imposed for reasons other than combatting the virus.
    A swing and a miss i'm afraid, i neither implied nor believe anything of the kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Chopper out already in Cork.

Feels a little bit like something very exciting is about to happen.

I wasn't going to go anywhere today, but I might now that I'm all excited.

Baldersash and Bullsh1t - whats the conspiracy? I'm well aware of the reasons for restrictions. What i'm saying is it behoves all of us to push back a bit when freedoms are removed to remind government that these are OUR rights and we'll not stand for any dragging of feet, mission creep or changing of goalposts slowing down their return. Go and have a can.
    An utterly meaningless gesture. You’ll be wasting your own time and Gardaí resources and risking a super spreader event just to tell the government you’re fed up. We’re all fed up, pal, some of us just have the ovaries to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

If people want to protest let them do so, these idiotic lockdowns have gone on unchecked for too long and I'm glad to see some push back... They should also be protesting the absolute stupidity of the leadership, they are a bunch of fools.

Advertisement