Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An utterly meaningless gesture. You’ll be wasting your own time and Gardaesources and risking a super spreader event just to tell the government you’re fed up. We’re all fed up, pal, some of us just have the ovaries to deal with it.
    Arent all protests empty meaningless gestures really? And did any of the protests turn into super spreader events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If people want to protest let them do so, these idiotic lockdowns have gone on unchecked for too long and I'm glad to see some push back... They should also be protesting the absolute stupidity of the leadership, they are a bunch of fools.

When I read simplistic posts like this, I remind myself that it won't be my father or grandfather who will be in ICU in three weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

If people want to protest let them do so, these idiotic lockdowns have gone on unchecked for too long and I'm glad to see some push back... They should also be protesting the absolute stupidity of the leadership, they are a bunch of fools.

So if there is an increase in the spread of COVID, and a resulting increase in hospitalisation as a result of the protests, will you accept a prolonged lockdown to get back to where we are today?

Or call for more protests and exacerbate the situation further?

Allinall wrote: »
    So if there is an increase in the spread of COVID, and a resulting increase in hospitalisation as a result of the protests, will you accept a prolonged lockdown to get back to where we are today?

Good point utterly wasted I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yep, I'd rather them protest than lie back and get it put to them by a lousy leadership everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Just take everyone's name. If they want to protest then ban them from hospital if they get Covid. Job done. No reason why anyone else should have to deal with these clowns!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Should we arrange a protest against the protest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

All that “halls of power,” “denigration of civil liberties” rubbish. The implication being that the restrictions have been imposed for reasons other than combatting the virus.

I would like to ask anyone who is for the protests in favour of our “civil liberties” (or the people who are “against it but actually I can see their point lol” :rolleyes: ) to explain to me what their alternative is for combatting the virus while also being able to live a wholly unrestricted life similar to February 2020. It doesn’t have to be in-depth, just a sentence or two summation of a real workable plan.

Otherwise I remain unchanged in my view that today’s protests are nothing more than an excuse for a rabble of pissed up yahoos looking to throw some shapes and “wreck the gaff.”

I agree on today's protests. And that is a shame.

This lockdown is hurting people in so many different ways, all of which will be boiled down the "scumbags on the street".

It is not a conspiracy theory to be angry that we have one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, and no clear road map out of it. I am lucky in that I can WFH, I can only imagine the stress this has placed on so many people out of a job, losing a business, losing loved ones. The NPHET story about a family catching covid from saying goodbye to a loved one disgusted me, horrible from them.

What alternatives are there? Look around the world, very few places have locked down as strict as ours. It not a binary full lock down or no lock down.

Simple ways to help

Extend the 5km, its arbitrary
    Allow outdoor sports / activities (encourage them)
    Stop demonising people

When I read simplistic posts like this, I remind myself that it won't be my father or grandfather who will be in ICU in three weeks time.

Neither mine, my parents in the Uk and both vaccinated... quite simple isn't it.

If they are vulnerable then they should stay home and best not for them to protest either :cool:

Neither mine, my parents in the Uk and both vaccinated... quite simple isn't it.

If they are vulnerable then they should stay home and best not for them to protest either :cool:

Yeah, you miss the point.

• Advertisement

Was the last Dublin protest a super spreader event? The Cork one? BLM protests or the Farmer's protests in India weren't...

Yeah, you miss the point.

Not at all, I simply have a different viewpoint to you... I could care less about yours.

Was the last Dublin protest a super spreader event? The Cork one?

I have no idea.

I do know for certain that they didn’t help the situation, in any way whatsoever.

I would guess the failure to get adequate supplies of the vaccine or to have a coherent system of distribution, or indeed failure to protect those in hospitals and nursing homes will kill and have killed more people than these protests.

And I disagree with protesting during a pandemic

I have no idea.

I do know for certain that they didn’t help the situation, in any way whatsoever.

Right so, can we file the "super spreader" talk in relation to this protest under "unsubstantiated"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

As a person who is concerned about the vulnerable in our society, I hope that this protest doesn't go ahead and become a super-spreader event.

Just like the previous one? Yeah, right ''super spreader event''

Not at all, I simply have a different viewpoint to you... I could care less about yours.

Expected.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This will be a mix of societies real lowlifes both on the left and right. The usual rent a mob moan about everything and contribute nothing scum. Would love to see the Gardai be allowed go in heavy full baton charge to cheer up my Paddy's day :)

Theres plenty of families I know going in today with their children to protest peacefully against the loss of their incomes, businesses, mental health etc.

These aren't societies lowlife. Just ordinary decent citizens who are sick of the longest lock down in the world.

And they should be allowed to protest peacefully..

The garda should let the peaceful protesters protest peacefully not baton charge families with kids.

If there is an element that want to cause trouble then rightfully they should be removed / arrested etc. But you cant tar all the protesters with the one brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres plenty of families I know going in today with their children to protest peacefully against the loss of their incomes, businesses, mental health etc.

These aren't societies lowlife. Just ordinary decent citizens who are sick of the longest lock down in the world.

The garda should let the peaceful protesters protest peacefully not baton charge families with kids.

If there is an element that want to cause trouble then rightfully they should be removed / arrested etc. But you cant tar all the protesters with the one brush.

Well... you can actually.
    This is not a protest...this is a far right attempt to garner support....and unfortunately there will be enough simple minded folk to allow themselves be duped by the Hermann Kelly's & Gemma Dohertys of this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is not a protest...this is a far right attempt to garner support....and unfortunately there will be enough simple minded folk to allow themselves be duped by the Hermann Kelly's & Gemma Dohertys of this world

You'd have to live a fairly sheltered existence to hold that view point in fairness.

• Advertisement

Good to see you have already attended the event in the future

Right so, can we file the "super spreader" talk in relation to this protest under "unsubstantiated"?

As far as I can see, you are the only one to mention the term.

Based on the last protest, only a fool would bring a child to such a protest.

You'd have to live a fairly sheltered existence to hold that view point in fairness.

Not a jot...I've seen the organisers of our local event...I've seen who will be attending....anti mask, anti lockdown, anti 5g ...the whole mishmash of garbage will be there today.
    Anybody who is genuinely caring about the situation we are in, wouldn't attend, it's that simple

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I don't even know how to respond to such a post but all Ill say is that some of the people heading in today are not a "simple minded people" and they aren't all lowlifes or scum.

One man heading in today is professional business man person whose business has been decimated. For the most of this lock down hes supported the restrictions fully but hes had enough and has decided to protest. Not to support the so called "right wing" loonies but because he feels he has to do something.

And that would be similar to most of the people I know going in.

They aren't supporting the right - they are protesting because they feel the need to protest.

Ive been a big advocate on the other thread of voicing your concerns to your local TDs - even going so far to make up an entire Excel spreadsheet of their email addresses and these people have done that but that may as well be talking to a wall. If our government aren't going to listen to the people that hired them then protest is the only way to get your voice heard.

Was the last Dublin protest a super spreader event? The Cork one? BLM protests or the Farmer's protests in India weren't...

If it wasn't then no problem for everyone that attends today to put name down so they will not get any treatment from the HSE if they get Covid.

I don't even know how to respond to such a post but all Ill say is that some of the people heading in today are not a "simple minded people" and they aren't all lowlifes or scum.

One man heading in today is professional business man person whose business has been decimated. For the most of this lock down hes supported the restrictions fully but hes had enough and has decided to protest. Not to support the so called "right wing" loonies but because he feels he has to do something.

They aren't supporting the right - they are protesting because they feel the need to protest.

Ive been a big advocate on the other thread of voicing your concerns to your local TDs - even going so far to make up an entire Excel spreadsheet of their email addresses and these people have done that but that may as well be talking to a wall. If our government aren't going to listen to the people that hired them then protest is the only way to get your voice heard.

And that is where the trouble lies.
    I am a business owner and I wouldn't even think of joining this protest...it's organised by the far right....any silly attempt to deflect that should be batted away immediately...there are ways to protest.... aligning yourself with the far right & mentally unwell is not the way.

What are they protesting? that a pandemic is on and they don't like it?
    Professional business man :-) if he was professional he would realise "protests" like this are just another risk to closing down the country for longer and hitting his business more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

sebdavis wrote: »
    If it wasn't then no problem for everyone that attends today to put name down so they will not get any treatment from the HSE if they get Covid.

I'd have no problem with that, virtually zero chance of me needing HSE treatment. Plus, I'll be wearing a mask and socially distancing so no chance really of me catching anything outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Based on the last protest, only a fool would bring a child to such a protest.

Trying to use the "think of the childers" defence when they are getting arrested. Poor children.

Advertisement