Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JMNolan wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with that, virtually zero chance of me needing HSE treatment.

And there we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Has there been ever been an outdoor super spreader event? Can anyone link me to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

And there we have it.

We do indeed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Based on the last protest, only a fool would bring a child to such a protest.

Why not?
    Go in have a peaceful protest, get a takeaway meal somewhere, sit in one of our lovely parks (if theyre not closed) and maybe a couple of takeout pints.

Sounds almost like a normal St Patricks day- just substitute "viewing the parade" for "protesting peacefully"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Why not?
    Go in have a peaceful protest, get a takeaway meal somewhere, sit in one of our lovely parks (if theyre not closed) and maybe a couple of takeout pints.

Sounds almost like a normal St Patricks day- just substitute "viewing the parade" for "protesting peacefully"

Its not a peaceful protest and everyone going in knows that
    It's just a plan for a certain group to have a bag of cans and attack the Gardai and everyone else. The same people will be doing the exact same next year and the year after and the year after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Why not?

Ah, ok...I'll leave it there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

sebdavis wrote: »
    What are they protesting? that a pandemic is on and they don't like it?
    Professional business man :-) if he was professional he would realise "protests" like this are just another risk to closing down the country for longer and hitting his business more.

I don't agree with the protest, I didn't agree with BLM protests in this country either. But do you want to live in a country where people can't protest? I certainly don't.

I'd have no problem with that, virtually zero chance of me needing HSE treatment. Plus, I'll be wearing a mask and socially distancing so no chance really of me catching anything outdoors.

I think you need to read up on what a pandemic is

I think you need to read up on what a pandemic is

I have, weighed up the risk, happy to accept the risk. Live on my own, meet no one.

I don't agree with the protest, I didn't agree with BLM protests in this country either. But do you want to live in a country where people can't protest? I certainly don't.

Protest away when covid is gone. Fill the streets and sack the government. Try and copy the US for BLM I couldn't care.
    Until the pandemic is gone stay at home.....simple

To be honest over the years I have seen the Irish people take so much crap and do nothing.....terrible governments. Cover up and nothing. Not a whisper of a parade. Now suddenly we have a certain group that want to protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

It's just a plan for a certain group to have a bag of cans and attack the Gardai and everyone else. The same people will be doing the exact same next year and the year after and the year after.

It's always the minority that cause problems for the majority.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Has there been ever been an outdoor super spreader event? Can anyone link me to one?

I've found lots of examples of indoor ones, never found an example for outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What are they protesting?
    That a pathologically myopic and risk averse shower of dithering incompetents are providing no hope, ambition or respect to the people via their messaging or actions.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,651 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/31/coronavirus-trump-campaign-rallies-led-to-30000-cases-stanford-researchers-say.html

Theres 15 for you

Protest away when covid is gone. Fill the streets and sack the government. Try and copy the US for BLM I couldn't care.

To be honest over the years I have seen the Irish people take so much crap and do nothing.....terrible governments. Cover up and nothing. Not a whisper of a parade. Now suddenly we have a certain group that want to protest.

The government had no problem with any protest until the last lockdown protest. Protest about a US problem? Grand. Protest about an Irish problem, shut it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I agree with you, I'm as fed up as the next person with the whole situation but I'm also in the cohort of people living in a suburban home, wfh, cash building etc so while I'm fed up I've no reason to completely flip out and protest.

Not everyone is that lucky so whilst I don't agree with them, I can understand why some people want to protest and I don't want to live in a country where that right gets eroded regardless of circumstances. Slippery Road etc.

tommybrees wrote: »
    It's always the minority that cause problems for the majority.

Not really....if the majority wanted they can stop. Thats the point of a majority.
    In this case it is not, the minority are the poor people who haven't the cop on to realise this or none of these protests will ever be peaceful. Its just a large group out to start a fight, the majority of the group.

If it was minority and someone started something, then the majority turn around and stop them. Simple.

sydthebeat wrote: »

"This preprint research paper has not been peer reviewed."

ewwwww

ewwwww

LOL

but but but sir.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That's your opinion.

I however support these protests against a government that is pissing away money on a virus that in reality isn't that serious.

Our country is being run by a group of unelected health advisers and our elected officials are too afraid to make a decision that goes against this group.

This lock down doesn't need to be in place and they country should be opened up or at the very least give us a time frame of when we will open up.

Also the people saying that a protest will make the lock down last longer have no actual proof that this can happen.

Last protest was the 27th February and there was no spike in cases after that which can be linked to that protest so that argument doesn't hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

The whole "minority ruining it for the majority" thing is a red herring. Everyone going onto that protest today knows that there probably will be trouble at some stage or another. Everyone going is therefore complicit in that trouble. Anyone bringing kids is an absolute moron - zero excuses or rationalising allowed, just idiotic to bring kids in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

A certain group that have had their incomes destroyed through no fault of their own. Seems like a fairly worthwhile reason to protest. Lumping everyone in with 'the far right' is a low IQ argument. We all know there's going to be genuine people protesting, and yes you will get some lunatics. It comes down to proportionality, and the current lockdown measures are not proportional.

Just 10 more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Does anyone going in today actually expect the protest to have any impact whatsoever?

The Nal wrote: »
    Does anyone going in today actually expect the protest to have any impact whatsoever?

Some protests do, some don't. Sure how could you know before hand. I'm sure the protest yesterday felt they were going to make an impact but in reality they wont.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The best protest you can make is visit your family and friends and visit a beauty spot outside 5km.

ewwwww

Conclusions
    Our analysis strongly supports the warnings and recommendations of public health officials
    concerning the risk of COVID-19 transmission at large group gatherings, particularly when the
    degree of compliance with guidelines concerning the use of masks and social distancing is low. The
    communities in which Trump rallies took place paid a high price in terms of disease and death.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://siepr.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/publications/20-043.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi4o63yhbfvAhUjURUIHTLgAWkQFjABegQIChAC&usg=AOvVaw3H7FCaYNqB446KGFTntjub

The peer reviewed proof

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

The right to protest shouldn't be a "sometimes" right.

There are other issues in the world. Look at the (mostly) young women protesting over Sarah Everard - covid is next to zero risk for them, but what they are protesting against is a real risk.

The right to protest is extremely important, you don't need to look too far back to see what it can achieve (when a government has gone against the will of the people).

There was no spike from the BLM protests in the states - this superspreader nonsense claim needs to stop. They are outdoor events.

Our right to protest is gone, the right to work for a lot of people is gone, freedom of movement has been gone for the best part of the year.

Our passport office is closed to new applicants and we have a 2000€ fine for daring to leave the country.

How easily the Irish population have given up basic rights - the government probably can't believe how long they have gotten away with these measures.

And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I will be taking a vaccine when offered.

Funny that BLM protests aren't super spreader events

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/covid-blm-protests-link

Is it?

You've a different sense of humour than me then

• Advertisement

Aph2016 wrote: »
    A certain group that have had their incomes destroyed through no fault of their own. Seems like a fairly worthwhile reason to protest. Lumping everyone in with 'the far right' is a low IQ argument. We all know there's going to be genuine people protesting, and yes you will get some lunatics. It comes down to proportionality, and the current lockdown measures are not proportional.

Just 10 more weeks.

I didn't lump anyone in far right. its the low IQ argument to say everyone is making that accusation when they are not.

As I said if the minority are lookign for a fight then the majority stop them. As seen previously this is not true. Just a group of people out looking for a fight with the Garda. Nothing to do with professional business man or people losing their income.
    You can find plenty of coverage of previous St Patrick day with the similar groups of people turning Dublin city centre into a warzone. All going for a few cans and having a walk in the park:p

Advertisement