Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JMNolan wrote: »
    Some protests do, some don't. Sure how could you know before hand.

Which ones have ever rapidly reversed government policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Hellrazer wrote: »
    That's your opinion.

I however support these protests against a government that is pissing away money on a virus that in reality isn't that serious.

Our country is being run by a group of unelected health advisers and our elected officials are too afraid to make a decision that goes against this group.

This lock down doesn't need to be in place and they country should be opened up or at the very least give us a time frame of when we will open up.

Also the people saying that a protest will make the lock down last longer have no actual proof that this can happen.

Last protest was the 27th February and there was no spike in cases after that which can be linked to that protest so that argument doesn't hold up.

Yes I forgot boards is full of highly educated Infectious Disease Experts.
    Never mind all those people in HSE, NHS etc who have spent a huge part of their lives studying medicine. They know nothing.

If Ireland and the HSE was doing the exact opposite to every country in the Woirld that argument might be worth considering. But with the majority of the World bar a few countries I think we have to agree they are doing the right thing

The Nal wrote: »

None
    Especially the ones that end up with the Gardai having to risk their lives with a group firing rocket/bottles etc at them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Nal wrote: »

The one that sticks in my mind was seeing 20,000 pensioners marching on the Dail in 2013 after loosing their medical cards - that one worked.

In the 80s a protest collapsed the government over the vat on childrens shoes.

The water charge protests were quite successful.

I thnk there was also a successful protest against college fees being put in place in the 90s.

So protests have been successful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This protest won't change anything for the good, anyone thinking it will must have had a lobotomy.

There is also a heavy subversive element to all this, its not just "families". Those of you that are going to peacefully protest with friends and families, stay on the fringes.

Those of you that are easily led by ignorant d1ckheads and subversive's and start causing hassle for the peaceful protesters, well I hope you get a crack of a baton to the teeth.

Next time you might be able to engage your brain to see the difference between a protest for legitimate reasons and this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sebdavis wrote: »
    None
    Especially the ones that end up with the Gardai having to risk their lives with a group firing rocket/bottles etc at them

Water charge protests got quite nasty and it was successful.

This protest won't change anything for the good, anyone thinking it will must have had a lobotomy.

There is also a heavy subversive element to all this, its not just "families". Those of you that are going to peacefully protest with friends and families, stay on the fringes.

Those of you that are easily led by ignorant d1ckheads and subversive's and start causing hassle for the peaceful protesters, well I hope you get a crack of a baton to the teeth.

Next time you might be able to engage your brain to see the difference between a protest for legitimate reasons and this one.

I have a family, I have loads of friends and family members who have family. All affected by covid differently. Not a single one would go near this "protest".

Trying to bring children into that s**t show today is a disgrace as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Garda are checking people on Buses this morning. Seen then pull over a bus to check everyone's movement papers.

Not the protest, you had people following irish water around Ireland to start a fight. I remember a family member down the country sent video of people fighting over the installation of a water meter, it was village about an hour outside Dublin. THe Gardai arrested him, ended up he was down from Dublin for the day so the Gardai just let him go, he was outside more houses the next day fighting with them.

The actual people who lived in the house hiding inside. This was common across Ireland

That the lads you will have at the "parade" today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The local "protest" organiser has just posted a 20 second video on Facebook showing his earpieces..2 walkie talkies and Garmin watch all laid out on a table, all the while the James Bond theme plays out in the background.
    Anyone supporting this is really not well I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yes I forgot boards is full of highly educated Infectious Disease Experts.
    Never mind all those people in HSE, NHS etc who have spent a huge part of their lives studying medicine. They know nothing.

If Ireland and the HSE was doing the exact opposite to every country in the Woirld that argument might be worth considering. But with the majority of the World bar a few countries I think we have to agree they are doing the right thing

This is what gets me. Ireland is doing pretty much what every government in every democracy in the world is doing.
    There might be some differences in approach but virtually every country in the world have restrictions of some sort.

Protestors are just plain wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wish the unemployed got that rowdy about other tax increases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I have a family, I have loads of friends and family members who have family. All affected by covid differently. Not a single one would go near this "protest".

Trying to bring children into that s**t show today is a disgrace as well.

If you know 100 people well, its as much. A drop in the ocean in a city of a million plus. There's also always a large cohort of people who wouldn't attend a protest but agree with the protest. As I've stated its a slippery slope when we start banning "certain" protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I didn't lump anyone in far right. its the low IQ argument to say everyone is making that accusation when they are not.

As I said if the minority are lookign for a fight then the majority stop them. As seen previously this is not true. Just a group of people out looking for a fight with the Garda. Nothing to do with professional business man or people losing their income.
    You can find plenty of coverage of previous St Patrick day with the similar groups of people turning Dublin city centre into a warzone. All going for a few cans and having a walk in the park:p

I worked nearly every Paddy’s Day in Dublin City Centre for about 15 years straight. Absolute scum fest. Cops, paramedics and hospitals were left dealing with the absolute worst behaved.
    Peaceable assembly is fine but we know that Almost any event of this nature will act a camouflage for general scumbaggery that’s offers nothing except destruction and attacking people doing their jobs.
    With 95% of the usual St Patrick’s Day attendance Staying away today, the cops should have an easier job identifying troublemakers. Of course, we’ll probably have the likes of Boyd Barret and Coppinger Outraged about police brutality once it kicks off.
    Almost Everybody is sick of life today in Ireland but unless you’re planning to show up with a highly trained armed militia of 50000 with plans to overthrow the government then your protest will amount to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Has anyone posted a logical alternative as to what they want apart from open everything now

Reasons like end lockdown so I can go to the pub isnt going to change policy

For all the usual the Government are useless and the lockdown is a way of controlling us dont forget the very generous welfare payments and subsidies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Theres plenty of families I know going in today with their children to protest peacefully against the loss of their incomes, businesses, mental health etc.

These aren't societies lowlife. Just ordinary decent citizens who are sick of the longest lock down in the world.

And they should be allowed to protest peacefully..

The garda should let the peaceful protesters protest peacefully not baton charge families with kids.

If there is an element that want to cause trouble then rightfully they should be removed / arrested etc. But you cant tar all the protesters with the one brush.

Bringing family or kids to a protest is moronic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    The government had no problem with any protest until the last lockdown protest. Protest about a US problem? Grand. Protest about an Irish problem, shut it down!

There is a far more transmissible variant of the virus circulating now. Christmas and the immediate aftermath has shown us how quickly hospital levels can escalate now.

Whatever flexibility was shown then, it may not be possible now - and certainly not after the behaviour recently displayed on Grafton Street.

The virus won't disappear because people have lost patience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Has anyone posted a logical alternative as to what they want apart from open everything now

Reasons like end lockdown so I can go to the pub isnt going to change policy

For all the usual the Government are useless and the lockdown is a way of controlling us dont forget the very generous welfare payments and subsidies

Remove 5km
    Open Construction
    Allow all outdoor activities/sports
    Stop demonising people

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Ger Roe wrote: »

The people have lost patience with an inept government

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There is a far more transmissible variant of the virus circulating now. Christmas and the immediate aftermath has shown us how quickly hospital levels can escalate now.

Whatever flexibility was shown then, it may not be possible now - and certainly not after the behaviour recently displayed on Grafton Street.

It's harmless to the vast majority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bringing family or kids to a protest is moronic

many people use kids as shields from police / counter protest action , you see it all the time, every protest you see comments about scared kids etc.. to try and make one side / the police look bad. shameful .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Just because it won't kill you, that doesn't mean it's not harmless. It's still a novel coronavirus; there is so much we still don't know about its long term effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

buzzerxx wrote: »
    A picture paints a thousand words.

Some people understand why protest is necessary.

9d92e2927e1fb893.jpg

Mad_maxx wrote: »

So are we in a society now where we now sacrifice the minority?

'Harmless' is a broad statement, there are many people who have not died from the disease but are still suffering from long term affects.

If it overwhelms hospitals again with the minority that needs urgent care, what do we do - suck it up as an inevitable but acceptable consequence and just concentrate on the majority that don't need the urgent care?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's more Gardai on o connell Street than people

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The one that sticks in my mind was seeing 20,000 pensioners marching on the Dail in 2013 after loosing their medical cards - that one worked.

No it didn't. Means testing was still brought in and exists today.
    In the 80s a protest collapsed the government over the vat on childrens shoes.

No it did not. That government was brought down by a budget vote in the Dail.
    The water charge protests were quite successful.

Somewhat. The political opposition to it and the 2016 election was the real reason. That was a clear as day shambles mind you
    I thnk there was also a successful protest against college fees being put in place in the 90s.

It wasnt successful as we have college fees in place and have had for years.
    So protests have been successful here.

Again, none of these caused immediate change. Today is the same. An unorganised waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Superspreading events ? outdoors ? go away ourra dah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    The people have lost patience with an inept government

What "people" is that? The handful of morons in Dublin today.

• Advertisement

How do the protestors get to the event, who do they mix with before and after, how do you social distance when the seemingly inevitable riot breaks out?

Go away ourra dah!! if you think there are no associated risks.

Advertisement