Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

joe40 wrote: »
    What "people" is that? The handful of morons in Dublin today.

Did you see the normal auld Joe's on prime time last night complaining? You have your head in the sand if you don't think people are running out of patience with the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Remove 5km
    Open Construction
    Allow all outdoor activities/sports
    Stop demonising people

Ok, thanks. All logical and reasonable and Id agree to some extent

Demonising people though? Not sure general Joe is being demonised its the usual ones who are. Lift the 5km rule and ask people to be sensible. Next day every idiot is in Glendalogh piled on top of each other. Thats the issue.

Same with pubs, leave them open, please stay no longer than x amount of time. Nope alot couldnt/wouldnt do that either

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Next day every idiot is in Glendalogh piled on top of each other. Thats the issue.

Is that what normally happens there? Anytime I've been there people stick to themselves. Let me know when the next orgy is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The Nal wrote: »
    No it didn't. Means testing was still brought in and exists today.

No it did not. That government was brought down by a budget vote in the Dail.

Somewhat. The political opposition to it and the 2016 election was the real reason. That was a clear as day shambles mind you

It wasnt successful as we have college fees in place and have had for years.

Again, none of these caused immediate change. Today is the same. An unorganised waste of time.

So you're against protesting in any amd all forms? Read a history book or go live in NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd guess that plenty (majority) of those protesting today are the useless of society.

Too much time on their hands doing sweet **** all. 'Activism' feeds their ego as they've nothing else to feed it with.

Losers.

• Advertisement

JMNolan wrote: »
    Some protests do, some don't. Sure how could you know before hand. I'm sure the protest yesterday felt they were going to make an impact but in reality they wont.

Speak for yourself. Yesterday I learned it's not ok to abduct and kill women.

Every day is a school day

I'd guess that plenty (majority) of those protesting today are the useless of society.

Too much time on their hands doing sweet **** all. 'Activism' feeds their ego as they've nothing else to feed it with.

Losers.

Isn't it mad that you probably would have received an infraction if you said the exact same thing about BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Losers.

And a lot there will have been made feel useless to society because their jobs have been shut down with no hope of resuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Isn't it mad that you probably would have received an infraction if you said the exact same thing about BLM.

Whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

And a lot there will have been made feel useless to society because their jobs have been shut down with no hope of resuming.

The majority of attendees at these won't have had jobs before Covid anyway.

• Advertisement

2,500 is less than 20% of the Gardaí, I would have thought there would be more out tomorrow

There's only on average about 3000 Gardai working operationally at any given time.

4 unit system, 12000 Gardai actually on units that are patrolling / investigating / responding to crime. 4000 Gardai in offices or dispatch or community relations, etc.

So during office hours they could claim 7000 Gardai on duty but between the office people, court, sick, leave, carrying it investigations, station duties and the odd course, you would be doing well too have 1500 actually patrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ger Roe wrote: »
    How do the protestors get to the event, who do they mix with before and after, how do you social distance when the seemingly inevitable riot breaks out?

Go away ourra dah!! if you think there are no associated risks.

Except for BLM protests right ? no risks with that, or the feminist marches in London ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's more Gardai on o connell Street than people

Hey! :(

Gardai are people, too!

The people protesting today don’t care about the Gardaí, otherwise they wouldn’t be prepared to waste Gardaí resources on their idiotic crusade or risk repeating the episode from a few weeks ago where someone launched a missile at the Gardaí.

They also don’t care about the vulnerable and at-risk members of the population. If they did they wouldn’t be out protesting the measures installed to protect the vulnerable, or gathering to risk creating a super-spreader event because they miss meeting their friends for cans. All in the name of civil liberties. :rolleyes:

Morons seem to be very easily lead by conspiracy theories on the Internet. Cases are exploding again all over Europe, and it's extremely stupid of people in Ireland to think we can now ease up on restrictions.

You're right, we should just have lockdowns forever so to avoid further lockdowns.

"cases" will continue to spike all over the world, this virus is endemic, follow your own logic and there will always be a need for restrictions.

Always.

We can live with it, especially when "cases" will be meaningless with majority vaccinated.

Adrian get back upstairs and hide under your bed, I suggest till August 2026, you should be safe then ... but be careful of dustmites ...
    https://learn.allergyandair.com/health-dangers-of-dust-mites/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,652 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stopped at "probably"...

Whataboutery.

Hi Adrian, you forgot to say "cans".

Adrian get back upstairs and hide under your bed, I suggest till August 2026, you should be safe then ... but be careful of dustmites ...
    https://learn.allergyandair.com/health-dangers-of-dust-mites/

I presume you will edit this post in the future when you finally come up with a point.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Stopped at "probably"...

I think that's a little bit of a lie Syd. I think you read it. No need to lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Except for BLM protests right ? no risks with that, or the feminist marches in London ...

I explained in an earlier post why circumstances have changed since the BLM protest... as regards to the recent feminist protests in London... what has that got to do with a thread about what is happening today in Dublin?.

It is not possible to maintain a debate if your argument is not defined, consistent and focused. If you want to pick out 'what if's' from other times and places, then you are in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

It's still a novel coronavirus; there is so much we still don't know about its long term effects.

This nonsense needs to be challenged vigorously and this NEW and NOVEL theory put to bed for once and for all..!!
    This virus is NOT new and it's not novel. It's SARS2 which was preceded by SARS1 and unfortunately SARS3 will follow somewhere down the line.
    SARS1 was a far more dangerous virus and had a far,far higher death ratio but in the main it did not reach the 'developed' world. The main difference is that MORE people suffer MILDER symptoms with SARS2.

If SARS2 had been confined to China/Asia and killed a few million people, most people in this side of the world wouldn't give a toss, same as when typhoid, cholera and ebola break out in Africa. It's 'far away' and few people want to know or really care.!!
    What happened here was SARS2 wasn't contained from day one, in the contrary it was actually hidden/ignored to protect the Chinese economy. The blame for this lies firmly with the World Health Organisation who were basically asleep at the wheel, some may say they were complicit.
    So this NEW and NOVEL theory was put forward to camouflage their own ineptitude.
    As for the long term effects, does anyone who smokes tobacco worry about the long term effects? Is there a huge worldwide media/political campaign to ban cigarettes?

In Ireland 6000 people die from smoking every year, 17 per day. 8 MILLION worldwide of which 1.2 million are passive smokers. Where is the outrage.?
    The figures for Alcohol related deaths is as bad.
    Since this time last year, i personally know of 5 unfortunate people who have taken their own lives. Some long-term effects there for the families involved. Still no outrage.!! In the same time frame I know many people who have contracted SARS2. One of those have died but did have a serious underlying health condition.
    So maybe it's time people did a bit of proper research for themselves rather than throw out lazy theories like those spouted by the W.H.O and celebrity academics.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,652 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think that's a little bit of a lie Syd. I think you read it. No need to lie.

Nope, everything that follows "probably" in a statement or sentence is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Did you see the normal auld Joe's on prime time last night complaining? You have your head in the sand if you don't think people are running out of patience with the government.

A lot of people had run out of patience with the government this time last year. And no doubt more have ran out of patience since.
    Welcome to democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What time is the insurrection starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

If you know 100 people well, its as much. A drop in the ocean in a city of a million plus. There's also always a large cohort of people who wouldn't attend a protest but agree with the protest. As I've stated its a slippery slope when we start banning "certain" protests.

Quit shouting about people banning protest's in Ireland.

Nobody is banning a protest. At best we are re-arranging it. As I already said if people want to protest, bang away. Just bang away in a few months time when it will be safer. I am sick of lockdown but all this will do is potentially increase the time in lockdown. Completely stupid.

When the majority of country is vaccinated then protest away, storm the bloody government buildings for all I care.

What time is the insurrection starting?

Normally about the 7-8th can

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. All logical and reasonable and Id agree to some extent

Demonising people though? Not sure general Joe is being demonised its the usual ones who are. Lift the 5km rule and ask people to be sensible. Next day every idiot is in Glendalogh piled on top of each other. Thats the issue.

Same with pubs, leave them open, please stay no longer than x amount of time. Nope alot couldnt/wouldnt do that either

Who cares if people pile into Glendalough its outdoors, and if people aren't idiots it's minimal risk.

Id take that risk over people dying without seeing grandkids etc for months or ever.

I never mentioned pubs, think they have been treated awfully, but not a risk that is needed now, esp indoors.

I understand we need restrictions, the current ones are too much, confusing and hurt more than they help

Plenty of people have also worked non stop during the lockdown. Not just in the health care system but in shops etc.
    Some business's can't get staff all during the lockdown, jobs available

People are too quick to throw everyone into one category when this is not true. Companies have started up because of what has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

The people protesting today don’t care about the Gardaí, otherwise they wouldn’t be prepared to waste Gardaí resources on their idiotic crusade or risk repeating the episode from a few weeks ago where someone launched a missile at the Gardaí.

They also don’t care about the vulnerable and at-risk members of the population. If they did they wouldn’t be out protesting the measures installed to protect the vulnerable, or gathering to risk creating a super-spreader event because they miss meeting their friends for cans. All in the name of civil liberties. :rolleyes:

The people protesting today haven't organised 2500 garda to be here. Stop using the wasting resources crap there billions being wasted in this country for year's.
    What vulnerable and weak people are you talking about??
    We have giving up a year of our lives to protect them, point the finger at the politicians and HSE who haven't been able to get the act together yet.
    You think people are protesting because they miss cans? Cop on.
    Your just a troll and nobody should be giving you anymore time on this

Advertisement