Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ger Roe wrote: »
    But they are..... it wasn't all carefully socially distanced individuals that descended upon the place the last time the restrictions were relaxed. It was groups of people acting as though it was a normal day trip occasion under normal circumstances. Travelling to the venue in groups and mixing with others while there, causing crowd related safety risks that would even apply in normal circumstances (restricting road access in already difficult terrain for emergency services operations).

All things many of them are continuing to do now..... Many people mixing around me on walks, at the beach, in shops etc.

5km rule doesn't stop that, we should be encouraging people to get outdoors. For the Vitamin D alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

bubblypop wrote: »
    Nope. No videos of mobs attacking balbriggan garda station.
    Don't believe you

Neither do I. It was probably filmed last week just to be sure the agenda's met. Until the agenda is obvious it makes sense to me to hang back, just til I'm sure I'm not playing right into it.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The main issue being IF people arent idiots..

As GerRoe stated in a post above look what happened last time.

Otherwise im in agreement with all you say. Its logical unlike some that will be protesting today with nothing other than 'Shamdemic'

Thats really unfair, there are different groups of people protesting today

People just out for a day/cans/trouble
    The far right conspiracy nuts
    Those that believe the restrictions are too much and are suffering badly due to them. Have lost businesses/loved ones etc.

We cannot lump them all in together, its very very unfair, as you say it's some only. And that some shouldn't be used to stop serious questions being asked about the current restrictions.

Anti lockdown does not mean no restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Not at all.

But people have a right to protest.

I don't condone antisocial behaviour. But business owners, and the general public, have a right to protest against inconsistent lockdown laws.

Nobody said they don't have the right to protest, what people are asking is they postpone till the virus is over....bang away then

Plus it would seem people are not really sur what they are protesting against. Some on here are saying they are protesting because they want the lockdown over. You seem to say it is because of the government.

Not much of a protest when the people dont actually know what they are protesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

bubblypop wrote: »
    Nope. No videos of mobs attacking balbriggan garda station.
    Don't believe you

lol ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

loveall wrote: »
    Neither do I. It was probably filmed last week just to be sure the agenda's met. Until the agenda is obvious it makes sense to me to hang back, just til I'm sure I'm not playing right into it.

lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can posters please stop attempting to derail this thread with discussion of other protests, it's getting ridiculous at this point.

Edit: And if this is going to turn into another lockdown discussion it will just be closed.

Discuss the Covid restrictions in the approprate forum please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sebdavis wrote: »
    You are responding to two posters, I am asking which one?

Im responding to you, hence i quoted you, are you having difficulty with all this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Is there any protests outside Dublin today ? I know they were supposedly planned but I don’t see any reporting of any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

See this is where we disagree, I think the vast majority will act sensibly regardless of the rules.

But anyways, we are digressing a bit.

Every single person attending this protest will be doing so recklessly because it’s a stupid and dangerous idea to have this protest in the middle of a pandemic.

The rest of us have spent an entire year doing the right thing, wearing masks, keeping a distance etc and now these drunken yahoos want to throw it all away because they can’t have a bag of cans with their friends on St Patrick’s Day. It’s obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Given the fine weather I guess large numbers will be out, some will gravitate towards the crowds out of curiosity and not as they want to protest.

Hopefully it all passes without incident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Given the fine weather I guess large numbers will be out, some will gravitate towards the crowds out of curiosity and not as they want to protest.

Hopefully it all passes without incident

We’re so close now to getting vaccinated and back to some sort of normality do they really need to protest this way, and now, I think it’s very selfish to go to them just as the cause may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Did you not see the videos at the time? I can't be arsed going looking for a vid. It's common knowledge.

You're confusing Balbriggan with Blanchardstown.
    Nothing happened in Balbriggan

Every single person attending this protest will be doing so recklessly because it’s a stupid and dangerous idea to have this protest in the middle of a pandemic.

The rest of us have spent an entire year doing the right thing, wearing masks, keeping a distance etc and now these drunken yahoos want to throw it all away because they can’t have a bag of cans with their friends on St Patrick’s Day. It’s obscene.

So if I go to a protest wear a mask and socially distance its reckless?

And yes I agree about the can drinkers but regardless of the protest these would be drinking cans. Some can drinking scumbags do not represent all protesters.

I don't support the protesting today, I also do not support how the government are handling current restrictions or the lack of a roadmap out of it.

And I totally understand given the complete lack of other side to this presented by the media how people who see businesses and lives ruined might want to show their anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Is there any protests outside Dublin today ? I know they were supposedly planned but I don’t see any reporting of any

I've just seen our local one...so many patriots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

All very quiet, or are the patriots keeping an eye on Cheltenham first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What time is this supposed to start in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

We’re so close now to getting vaccinated and back to some sort of normality do they really need to protest this way, and now, I think it’s very selfish to go to them just as the cause may be.

Will the same people be as quick to protest when its all over and we start getting hit with tax hikes....im doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blud wrote: »
    All very quiet, or are the patriots keeping an eye on Cheltenham first?

If it's anything like a usual St Patrick's day, the scum usually emerge when the sun goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The patriots are gathering at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Nal wrote: »
    The patriots are gathering at 2pm

The gofundmes will be live by 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It will be the usual collection of crusties rebelling against the "Da man" and the endless oppression of "Da gubbermint". Best ignored and ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The pro-protest posters have disappeared. I wonder where they're gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I predict there will be violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't agree with people gathering when not supposed to but as John McGurk said a blind eye was turned a few months ago when there was a BLM protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just because it won't kill you, that doesn't mean it's not harmless. It's still a novel coronavirus; there is so much we still don't know about its long term effects.

im not going to stay in the bunker forever in case something might kill me , people have never in history done that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The pro-protest posters have disappeared. I wonder where they're gone...

Linden Village & Molsten beer sales just went thru the roof in Dublin in the last hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ger Roe wrote: »
    So are we in a society now where we now sacrifice the minority?

'Harmless' is a broad statement, there are many people who have not died from the disease but are still suffering from long term affects.

If it overwhelms hospitals again with the minority that needs urgent care, what do we do - suck it up as an inevitable but acceptable consequence and just concentrate on the majority that don't need the urgent care?

ive said it before , in years to come , we will regret not having just let the virus run through what it will , the price paid by the young to protect the old is far too high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Don't agree with people gathering when not supposed to but as John McGurk said a blind eye was turned a few months ago when there was a BLM protest.

I wouldn't mind what that tw*t has to say.

Advertisement