Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because RTE sold there souls.

Where souls?

A commercial enterprise doesn't have an incorporeal essence of a living being.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

High ranking Civil service collective meltdown incoming after the ADHD PR mantra of

'conspiracy theories
    conspiracy theories
    far right
    conspiracy theories
    far right
    far right
    fireworks
    fireworks
    cans
    cans
    conspiracy theories
    far right
    fireworks
    cans
    conspiracy theories
    conspiracy theories
    conspiracy theories'

didn't work

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

gmisk wrote: »
    Why?
    I would say you are easily disturbed if that is the case.

Not a great image that’s all I am saying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I don’t think people should be gathering at this time but I found those images on the news of steel structures across roads deeply disturbing

Don't ever go to a big match, gig or festival so, you'd be even more disturbed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not a great image that’s all I am saying
    Why? They are there for a reason.

When they closed off the area outside of trinity for those pedestrianized weekends there were steel barriers across roads....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fairly disappointing turnout for the organizers. A year into the restrictions and still no appetite for protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

There comes a point where I think all you can do is laugh and shake your head.

One woman being arrested for breaking the rules while dozens gather round breaking the rules in full view of police and that's all good.

If they are all breaking the rules there then the only real reason to single her out is that she is criticizing the government basically.

Strange scenes.

So she's isolated, surrounded by cops and the cops are then surrounded by a crowd of reporters?

Welcome to boards my friend...can we be besties?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don’t think people should be gathering at this time but I found those images on the news of steel structures across roads deeply disturbing

The only thing I found approaching disturbing is the fact that there are so many clowns out and about protesting. It's bad enough being an idiot but posting it on Facebook to prove the fact is something else!

Fairly disappointing turnout for the organizers. A year into the restrictions and still no appetite for protesting.

Looks like there was plenty in Herbert Park, or are you disappointed they wouldn't have the appetite to torch the place or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nice to see a big Garda presence outside RTE, well organized and plenty of backup, barriers etc.

Now what I cant understand is why the same couldn't have being done in Carrick On Shannon last week, the knew it was going to happing well in advance but still done nothing about it,
    It just make a mockery of the the whole system when the pick and choose what the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The only thing I found approaching disturbing is the fact that there are so many clowns out and about protesting. It's bad enough being an idiot but posting it on Facebook to prove the fact is something else!
    Er have you been on facebook recently?
    A lot of the people on it I wouldn't exactly classify as the great and the good, it's a pretty mad place at times with people sharing and desiminating a lot nonsense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2020/03/21/facebook-spreads-fake-news-faster-than-any-other-social-website-according-to-new-research/

Also... grifters gotta grift!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The Nal wrote: »

Knock must be outside their 5k limit. Maybe they'll get to Mejagore when travel starts up again.

What exactly are trying to achieve? Is it a protest or are they trying to pray their way out of lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thankfully a complete damp squib today, albeit the Garda Over time bill will be massive. Just saw some footage on the news, gosh these events really do attract some dregs, scrouts and undesirables, one bearded chap looks like he's not washed in months, just as well Gardai well masked up.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Some Gardai on Granby Road actually looked rather bored, so did cross my mind what would happen if someone let off some firecrackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you were to believe what some were touting in the leadup you’d have sworn blind there would have been anarchy...

Unfortunately looks like their mothers must have resorted to tactics such as threatening to take their skyboxes and PlayStation and some of the older guard might have had to go get their own pension and fixadent.

Twice the police took my details and warned me for "congregating" this afternoon (12.35 and 12.44)

Madness

Be great to see that level of Gardai presence all year round on O'Connell street when the real trouble is actually happening

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s a sad day for protesters and anti-everything’s when the Legion of Mary put them all to shame by having the biggest numbers.
    Anything to be said for another Mass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

buried wrote: »
    Looks like there was plenty in Herbert Park, or are you disappointed they wouldn't have the appetite to torch the place or what?

Organizers were expecting thousands, didn't get anything close to that. They are gutted, there is no doubt about it.

Barely broke into the low hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It’s a sad day for protesters and anti-everything’s when the Legion of Mary put them all to shame by having the biggest numbers.
    Anything to be said for another Mass?

The Ireland of Fr Ted hasn't gone away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Twice the police took my details and warned me for "congregating" this afternoon (12.35 and 12.44)

Madness

Why is it madness exactly?
    They’re simply following the restrictions in place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Madness

What was the madness of it? If you were outside your 5km or in a group of more than two households, maybe there is the madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Organizers were expecting thousands, didn't get anything close to that. They are gutted, there is no doubt about it.

Barely broke into the low hundreds.

A good day for democracy then!

I seriously doubt that, there is a 5km travel limit and every road in and out of Dublin was at checkpoint. How are thousands going to manage to get through that? They did well to get the couple of hundred they got into one park in south Dublin with all that. Plus it looks completely civil and good natured, that's what they ultimately wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Madness

Is there more to this story, what was the "madness"?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Madness

Yep. You think after the first warning the second time caught would lead to a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

aido79 wrote: »
    Knock must be outside their 5k limit. Maybe they'll get to Mejagore when travel starts up again.

What exactly are trying to achieve? I

You could ask that about anyone who prays for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

There were more people in my local Tesco that there were at the so-called protests.

And they can't blame the weather.

I see Dee got her mug on Virgin Media news there.

• Advertisement

Is there more to this story, what was the "madness"?.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. You think after the first warning the second time caught would lead to a fine.

Well yes.

I apparently wasn't allowed to stand on O'Connell Street, on my own because I was congregating.

I was standing at a bus stop after being at the chemist.

Advertisement