Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

buried wrote: »
    Good. You won't be adverse to the litany of Blue Mondays coming up for the next 100 years so willya
    I am not sure I will care in 100 years....
    So you think we will be in lockdown for 100 years?...
    What are these special skills?
    Surely you can put them to good use somewhere else if ireland seemingly makes you so miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

buzzerxx wrote: »
    Then why allow the chemist to be open if according to you, nobody should have been in there?

Where did I say “nobody should be there “?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

It sure is. So what?

Looks like they were trying to be smart and point out a non existent mistake in your post to discredit what you were saying but hadn’t accounted for poor comprehension skills letting them down?

Where did I say “nobody should be there “?

You didn't but you presumed I planned on being there today, which was wrong.

It was open for people who urgently needed medication.

I didn't expect to be harassed twice at a bus stop for being there.

You didn't but you presumed I planned on being there today, which was wrong.

I would have expected that to happen in fairness,

• Advertisement

I would have expected that to happen in fairness,

Really? Expected to be told to stop "loitering and congregating" while standing at a bus stop, having your details taken and threatened with arrest if you didn't move to the next bus stop?

Fair play chief. If you think that's fair and reasonable, more power to you.

Really? Expected to be told to stop "loitering and congregating" while standing at a bus stop

Fair play chief. If you think that's fair and reasonable, more power to you.

You were in an area where protests were expected.
    There was trouble at the last one.
    And you really didn’t expect to be asked what you were doing there? Really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

See this boils my piss.

I was in town, at a bus stop, during the "protest" and saw and experienced heavy handed policing by the guards.

Yes there were scumbags there, but no more than a usual prepandemic Saturday afternoon. There were a lot of legitimate and non scumbag protesters too who were threatened with arrest and fines.

Any time a guard approached someone, they were followed by a swarm of journalists taking pictures. Of course people would retreat from this scenario because of the negative connotations falsely thrown on people who dare protest against inconsistent lockdown restrictions.

As I said, I was threatened with arrest and my details were taken twice within a twenty minute period for having the audacity to be on O'Connell Street.

That's absolutely mad.

how do you figure that the gardai tell the difference between you and some idiot protester out to cause trouble and harm them as they have done in the past ?
    would it by talking to you ? Harassment to you but doing that job they have been asked to do by a overwhelming majority of people in this country
    If you have a issue with journalists your far from the minority and I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one , they are the parasites and stoking as many problems as the idiot protesters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

BensMixed wrote: »
    No surprise to see the national party scum there. Great to see how the gardai handled it. They thought they were going to bring dublin city centre to a standstill but instead very few showed up and the guards had nothing to worry about. It's good to see the guards taking this a bit more seriously. Throw the lowlifes into the vans and get them up in court for breaching restrictions. It looks like an all round solid job by the guards.

Its a pity the dident take their job more seriously in Carrick On Shannon last week. plenty of lowlifes doing what the pleased and nothing done about it.

This pick and choose what the police is not on either.

mgn wrote: »
    Its a pity the dident take their job more seriously in Carrick On Shannon last week. plenty of lowlifes doing what the pleased and nothing done about it.

This pick and choose what the police is not on either.

2500 gardai in town today according to some news site I saw

I understand there were 4 working in Carrick on Shannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

gmisk wrote: »
    I am not sure I will care in 100 years....
    So you think we will be in lockdown for 100 years?...
    What are these special skills?
    Surely you can put them to good use somewhere else if ireland seemingly makes you so miserable

Don't fret pet, the longer the covidanity keeps up I'll be off fairly soon. I've not much choice but no matter, I can travel the world with my skills. Good luck in the land of solicitors and civil servants for all your needs.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• You didn't but you presumed I planned on being there today, which was wrong.

So what, you got moved on. Boo ****ing hoo. Get over it. Think of what was happening in the area.

No reason why the could not have a few hundred there, the knew well in advance.

Don't fret pet, the longer the covidanity keeps up I'll be off fairly soon. I've not much choice but no matter, I can travel the world with my skills. Good luck in the land of solicitors and civil servants for all your needs.
    Ta ra

So what, you got moved on. Boo ****ing hoo. Get over it. Think of what was happening in the area.

There was **** all happening in the area. And yes, I should not have been moved on. It was absolutely heavy handed and unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If its so bad, why have you not gone sooner?

gmisk wrote: »
    Ta ra

lol unless you're in the high bracket game or a mug, you wont be long ta ra'n yourself out of here too.

No reason why the could not have a few hundred there, the knew well in advance.

lol I fear you are greatly over estimating the resources and ability of our police force

just over 300 gardai between Sligo and Leitrim

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

who knows how many are out injured or with covid or how many are actual front line uniform .
    be realistic for gods sake

how do you figure that the gardai tell the difference between you and some idiot protester out to cause trouble and harm them as they have done in the past ?
    would it by talking to you ? Harassment to you but doing that job they have been asked to do by a overwhelming majority of people in this country
    If you have a issue with journalists your far from the minority and I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one , they are the parasites and stoking as many problems as the idiot protesters

I have no issue with being approached. I explained my reasoning to the guard, showed identification and assured them I was just waiting for a bus. I was then told that regardless, I was contravening the public health act and I am not allowed congregate. I again explained that I am waiting for a bus and they told me that wasn't good enough. Bear in mind, this was well before any protest was taking place.

My issue is that it was heavy handed and inconsistent with how other protests are policed

Ninthlife wrote: »

5km travel limit

Any other bright ideas covidista?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There was **** all happening in the area. And yes, I should not have been moved on. It was absolutely heavy handed and unnecessary

I don't think you know what either of those words mean.

lol unless you're in the high bracket game or a mug, you wont be long ta ra'n yourself out of here too.
    I am a reasonably highly paid permanent civil servant I will be grand....come...join...the....new....order....
    "One of us, one of us, one of us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I have no issue with being approached. I explained my reasoning to the guard, showed identification and assured them I was just waiting for a bus. I was then told that regardless, I was contravening the public health act and I am not allowed congregate. I again explained that I am waiting for a bus and they told me that wasn't good enough. Bear in mind, this was well before any protest was taking place.

My issue is that it was heavy handed and inconsistent with how other protests are policed

You were questioned that isn’t heavy handed

You went to your not local chemist, into the city, on a day when you knows they guards would be around questioning

And now are trying to make the guards seem bad., when you knew entirely what you were doing in an attempt to play the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I thought that was the usual amount working in carrick-on-shannon......

lol I fear you are greatly over estimating the resources and ability of our police force

just over 300 gardai between Sligo and Leitrim

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

who knows how many are out injured or with covid or how many are actual front line uniform .
    be realistic for gods sake

Rubbish, if the found the resources for 2500 today do you think the could not find resources for a few hundred for Carrick, it all about stopping the spread of covid 19 at the end of the day is it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Allinall wrote: »
    What did they win?

A ride home in a mini.

how was it heavy handed ? did you get a slap ? pushed shoved ? screamed at ? arrested ? from what you have posted it does sound like you were in the city centre unnecessarily

sounds like you were asked politely to move out of a area where a large and potentially violent protest was about to happen which you could well have been apart of. after all why would they believe your assurances ?

your many many other posts here on policing would suggest your generally hostile towards any kind of authority regardless of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Response of the Gardai sounds ott.

I'm surprised the chemist bothered opening up today.

Rubbish, if the found the resources for 2500 today do you think the could not find resources for a few hundred for Carrick, it all about stopping the spread of covid 19 at the end of the day is it not.

ya sure your right they should have flooded a small rural town with police from the entire country t massive expensive on the off chance that travellers would have done what they did. course then they would have to do that with every funeral in Ireland travellers or not

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »

Or should I break the restrictions and give you the ire, fear and anger you crave?

Advertisement