Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Could they combine the lockdown protest with a demo for a progressive cause?
    They can protest the virus itself by drinking their cans at home.

They absolutely hate RTE but don't realise that you can just look at other stuff :pac:

You aren't always forced to pay for something you oppose though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Plebs, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Well they're not.

If people can protest in masks while social distancing then they're not superspreader events, but considering that this is a protest in favour of drinking cans with their mates on a Wednesday I imagine that those measures won't be followed.

IF, that hasn't occurred in any of the examples I gave. Every example I gave was a mask free, drink swilling people piled on top covid fest.

Plebs, eh?
    This isn't a class thing. I would turn my nose at anyone attending such a protest tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Reducing an argument against lockdown to "want to drink cans with their mates" is disingenuous and petty.

Plenty of people have had their livelihoods ruined and relationships in tatters by inconsistent policing of quarantine methods.

I'm not in favour of the protests but your framing of it is insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

You aren't always forced to pay for something you oppose though

Forced is strong there.... Enjoy your day out anyway, don't let me get ye down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Punter wrote: »
    If you can protest blacks being killed in America and women in England, you can sure as hell protest for your rights in your own country.

Fair play to all those going. I'll be there too.

Didn't take long!
    It's ok for these lads though, it'll be "wharrabout BLM, wharrabout travellers, wharrabout RTE" you can see it through the thread already sure, it's always someone else's fault, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

They have a right to protests, but not to break out current restrictions. If they are not wearing masks, socially distancing, or breached the 5 KM limit during the protests, then imo fines etc should be handed out on that basis.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, if people want to protests, then at least make the effort to not have your protest be a super spreader event.

Of course these cretins will not wears masks and not socially distance, and instead will put the lives of everyone else on this island in danger due to there selfish hatefull fascist stupidity.

IF, that hasn't occurred in any of the examples I gave. Every example I gave was a mask free, drink swilling people piled on top covid fest.

Have you anything to say about tomorrow's protest or are you just here to wharrabout?

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    They have a right to protests, but not to break out current restrictions. If they are not wearing masks and socially distancing during the protests, then imo fines etc should be handed out on that basis.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, if people want to protests, then at least make the effort to not have your protest be a super spreader event.

Of course these cretins will not wears masks and not socially distance, and instead will put the lives of everyone else on this island in danger due to there selfish hatefull fascist stupidity.

Fascist.....

Jesus wept

Have you anything to say about tomorrow's protest or are you just here to wharrabout?

as per my original post in this thread :
    Every single one of these protests are moronic and dangerous superspreader events,

Reducing an argument against lockdown to "want to drink cans with their mates" is disingenuous and petty.

Plenty of people have had their livelihoods ruined and relationships in tatters by inconsistent policing of quarantine methods.

I'm not in favour of the protests but your framing of it is insulting.
    I am insulting them but I genuinely to believe the majority of the people there will be troublemakers looking for an excuse to get lairy with their friends. Their "civil liberties" mewling holds no water in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The Nal wrote: »
    Didn't take long!

What exactly is the issue with pointing out flagrant hypocrisy? A truly principled person would be against all protests, as they all carry a similar risk.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Cant wait to see the usual faces come in here to condemn this protest who were utterly silent on the george njchenko funeral , the traveller funeral, the ruth coppinger protest and the uk vigil.

Every single one of these protests are moronic and dangerous superspreader events, I dont think anyone can come in to any thread and loudly condemn one without having condemned them all.
    as per my original post in this thread :

I dunno, it reads like you refer to the protests you listed, rather than the one at hand.. maybe I'm over analysing it..........

The great thing is, no one is forcing you to go. You can sit at home in fear and submission of the plague.
    That's true and I'll still be sitting at home in six months waiting for the fourth/fifth/sixth wave to pass thanks to the heroes out on the lash tomorrow.

I am insulting them but I genuinely to believe the majority of the people there will be troublemakers looking for an excuse to get lairy with their friends. Their "civil liberties" mewling holds no water in my view.

No offence Adrian, but your "genuine belief" doesn't override their right to protest.

I know there will be plenty of troublemakers who are turning up tomorrow and will probably act the maggot, but that doesn't mean that the protest as a whole is without merit.

I'm sure you are wholeheartedly in support to the protest today?

I dunno, it reads like you refer to the protests you listed, rather than the one at hand.. maybe I'm over analysing it..........

I thought ' Every single one of these protests ' was a broad enough statement but sure just incase. Tomorrows anti lockdown / NP / SF / Yellow Vest / Can swilling whatever they want to call it protest is a disgrace and a super spreader event that should not go ahead.

No offence Adrian, but your "genuine belief" doesn't override their right to protest.

I know there will be plenty of troublemakers who are turning up tomorrow and will probably act the maggot, but that doesn't mean that the protest as a whole is without merit.

I'm sure you are wholeheartedly in support to the protest today?

It is without merit, they have no workable proposal for anything. It's a rabble fest and recruitment drive for barrett, gilroy, doherty and the rest of the band of merry arseholes.

It is without merit, they have no workable proposal for anything. It's a rabble fest and recruitment drive for barrett, gilroy, doherty and the rest of the band of merry arseholes.

Ok... And what workable proposal does the protest today have?

I'm very interested.

• Advertisement

I thought ' Every single one of these protests ' was a broad enough statement but sure just incase. Tomorrows anti lockdown / NP / SF / Yellow Vest / Can swilling whatever they want to call it protest is a disgrace and a super spreader event that should not go ahead.

I dont think SF are pushing it but I actually like the inclusion - there are plenty of SF supporters that have absolutely no idea what their politics are - and will be front and centre at an "event" like this.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    What exactly is the issue with pointing out flagrant hypocrisy? A truly principled person would be against all protests, as they all carry a similar risk.

Yeah I am. When they're done like that anyway. Hastily organised on social media echo chambers.

They're all thickos.

Imagine spending your day in town waving anti RTE flags, posting pictures on social media and shouting at the police thinking its going to make the slightest bit of a difference.

Ok... And what workable proposal does the protest today have?

I'm very interested.

What protest? It's tomorrow - no?
    Well sure you'll have to organise a counter protest if we're all so evil ;)

Didn't say evil - I said stupid - and they're protesting for change but without defining what they want - it's kinda - pointless no?

I dont think SF are pushing it but I actually like the inclusion - there are plenty of SF supporters that have absolutely no idea what their politics are - and will be front and centre at an "event" like this.

they may not be the organisers but theres a chunk of them in there, so its included.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This isn't a class thing. I would turn my nose at anyone attending such a protest tomorrow.

I think class plays a big part in it actually. The self regarding poe-faced metro bourgeoisie are largely insulated for the financial impacts of lockdown and are, even at the best of times, fond of looking down their nose at the great unwashed and their cans.

What protest? It's tomorrow - no?

There's a protest today for that poor woman that was killed in England.

Are you against that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

How divorced from reality can someone be to prioritise a day of cans over a deadly virus? This is becoming parodic at this point.

Making your voice heard is pointless? Wow.

Someone should tell blm.

You have your voice here now.

Whats your solution to all this?

Just "end the lockdown" is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Again, looked like probably 90% normal decent people at the last protest, and they're ridiculed in the media and from all angles for daring to protest against something that is ruining many lives with the restrictions and being mismanaged.
    I cant speak for tomorrows one though maybe its a bunch of nutters who have organised this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

You're right, that doesn't mean that the protest as a whole is without merit. Even if they all remained six feet apart, wearing masks and everyone behaved themselves throughout, the protest would still be without merit. Because what they're looking for (a return to 'normal', which we'd all fucking like) is simply not workable right now.

Advertisement