Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

statesaver wrote: »
    Is that your position on ALL protests in the middle of a national emergency ?

Yes, I believe there shouldnt be protests during this national emergency. but I honesty classify the far right as traitors due to their allegiance to Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen another thread where the term "scumbag" is being used so often to describe political opponents. The term likely get used less on threads about ISIS or pedophiles, groups far more deserving of the label.

Political opponents?

They're scumbags because they're unemployed dole lifers who were intent on provoking the police and causing trouble. No interest in doing anything else.

Same dozen or so every time and the same 4 or 5 of them arrested yesterday and the same people who will be on social media asking for donations today.

Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Hahaha would you look at this freak show. this video should be shown to anyone thinking of protesting against restrictions.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/right-winger-gemma-odoherty-spotted-20198122

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yeah, obviously 02 deficiency is caused by wearing face masks. Just look at all those low IQ surgeons who wear them all day, every day!

Surprised this got so many thanks.

Surgeons don't wear these masks during childhood when their brain is developing.

Nor do they wear them 'all day, every day'.

They wear them when they're performing surgery in an operating theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

growleaves wrote: »
    Surprised this got so many thanks.

Surgeons don't wear these masks during childhood when their brain is developing.

So what you're saying is, it's ok for adults to wear masks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MrStuffins wrote: »

Game, set, and match.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Yes.
    I don't see people wearing masks falling down in the street from hypoxic brain injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

No, I'm saying that its not okay for non-adults to wear masks. (Note the double negative, which changes meaning when you invert it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Rodin wrote: »
    It ended with a totalitarian regime locking people up 24/7.
    They know how to do a lockdown in China.
    Anyone who thinks Covid is a hoax is just so woefully informed but then when you're sitting on your arse at home while others go to battle it's easy to go a little doo-lally.

The proliferation of armchair medics, virologists and public health experts this past year has been astounding.

Matched only by the armchair dictators that sound like they're auditioning for a spot on a Myanmar junta's security forces.
    I might not agree with the clowns on the streets, but the clowns with their weird authoritarianism fetish are far creepier and weirder.

No, I'm saying that its not okay for non-adults to wear masks. (Note the double negative, which changes meaning when you invert it)

Why do you think that?

• Advertisement

It's perfectly safe for children to wear masks.... So ya, you're pushing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seems to have worked as expected anyway. The gubberment have just announced a total end to any lockdowns. Pubs open.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Rodin wrote: »
    Yes.
    I don't see people wearing masks falling down in the street from hypoxic brain injury.

Oh I know

I just thought it was hilarious to see an Anti-Masker let slip and admit that masks are completely safe!

He's had an absolute nightmare :pac: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

im fairly sure masks don't effect IQ but this thread does

un followed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen another thread where the term "scumbag" is being used so often to describe political opponents. The term likely get used less on threads about ISIS or pedophiles, groups far more deserving of the label.

Every time you use the word scum a fascist loses their Twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Hahaha would you look at this freak show. this video should be shown to anyone thinking of protesting against restrictions.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/right-winger-gemma-odoherty-spotted-20198122

This is the kind of lowlifes who object against the current restrictions. Losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.thejournal.ie/dolores-cahill-ucd-students-5384978-Mar2021/

Scary to think people like her are teaching students in university.

I noted with interest that RTE's coverage of the protests in Bristol last night mentioned that the trouble makers were "extremists", they neglected to mention however whether they were left or right wing extremists. Considering RTE's penchant for putting the spotlight on the right wing elements of any protest going, this seemed something of glaring omission.

It was funny to see that all the people arrested on st Patrick's Day were all charged with refusal to give their details. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It was funny to see that all the people arrested on st Patrick's Day were all charged with refusal to give their details. Nothing else.

And for this heinous crime RTE deemed it appropriate to give all their names and addresses

And for this heinous crime RTE deemed it appropriate to give all their names and addresses

Ha. Good point. Refusing to give the guards your name and address (which you are entitled to do), results in your name and address being displayed by our national broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nope.
    Edward Lloyd, 42, from Ryevale Lawns, Leixlip, Co Kildare was charged with failing to give his name and address when required by a garda on Victoria Quay.

He was also charged with possession of a knife

I imagine that is probably not the end of charges either.

Boggles wrote: »
    Nope.

I imagine that is probably not the end of charges either.

Oh, apologies I missed that one.

I have no issue with that one.

I retract my previous statement and will rephrase it as the vast majority.

I have no issue with that one.

Why would you have issue with any of them?

Bunch of loons behaving like loons.

Anti Vax protest where the vaccines are not mandatory.

Absolute dangerous simpletons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Not sure what white privilege, Bristol protests or any of the other nonsense being discussed in the past 30 posts or so has to do with the St Patrick's Day protests.

Try to stay on topic folks, I've cleaned up the thread of the bickering as well, if you can't post in a civil manner towards each other don't post in the thread.

Why would you have issue with any of them?

Bunch of loons behaving like loons.

Anti Vax protest where the vaccines are not mandatory.

Absolute dangerous simpletons.

Because while I disagreed with the protests, it seems mad to be able to arrest people for being in town simply for not handing over their details.

I'm not condoning them, I don't know them. But to have your name and address published for the crime of not giving your details to a guard seems over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Because while I disagreed with the protests, it seems mad to be able to arrest people for being in town simply for not handing over their details.

I'm not condoning them, I don't know them. But to have your name and address published for the crime of not giving your details to a guard seems over the top.

Shur that has always been the way regardless of the protests.
    If a crime happened on a street and a Garda stopped you and asked for your name then you have to give it.
    If someone is breaking the law then a Garda is perfectly entitled to get their name. He can arrest them if they refuse.

Shur that has always been the way regardless of the protests.
    If a crime happened on a street and a Garda stopped you and asked for your name then you have to give it.
    If someone is breaking the law then a Garda is perfectly entitled to get their name. He can arrest them if they refuse.

As I've said, I was stopped by the guards on that day and they way I was treated I found exceptionally heavy handed. But I agree, I can't see why they didn't give their details, but it did seem to me that day that the guards were only too happy to agitate.

But the fact that their name and address doesn't warrant being publicly named by the national broadcaster imo

As I've said, I was stopped by the guards on that day and they way I was treated I found exceptionally heavy handed. But I agree, I can't see why they didn't give their details, but it did seem to me that day that the guards were only too happy to agitate.

But the fact that their name and address doesn't warrant being publicly named by the national broadcaster imo
    It's pretty standard to report name and address of people in articles about court cases.

But it's not a protest is it?

They out spreading dangerous misinformation. The vaccines are not mandatory so there is nothing to protest against.

The only tangible protest they can do with an achievable outcome is to not take the vaccine themselves, which their perfectly entitled to.

Also I'm sure you are not naive enough to think their wasn't several levels of escalation before eventual arrest?

I don't see how anyone could be upset over a bunch of malcontents getting themselves arrested.

The only ones I feel sorry for are the guards who have to deal with their dribbling nonsense and abuse, not to mention the personal risk to themselves.

• Advertisement

But it's not a protest is it?

They out spreading dangerous misinformation. The vaccines are not mandatory so there is nothing to protest against.

The only tangible protest they can do with an achievable outcome is to not take the vaccine themselves, which their perfectly entitled to.

Also I'm sure you are not naive enough to think their wasn't several levels of escalation before eventual arrest?

I don't see how anyone could be upset over a bunch of malcontents getting themselves arrested.

The only ones I feel sorry for are the guards who have to deal with their dribbling nonsense and abuse, not to mention the personal risk to themselves.

Actually I saw plenty of people taken away without behaviour that could be described as escalation.

I heard no reports of similar police intervention for the protest at the spire for that poor woman that was killed in the UK the previous day.

Either every protest is legal or none are. Malcontents is in the eye of the beholder. Allow a protest not breaking any law. Stop protests that do.

Advertisement