Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

There's a protest today for that poor woman that was killed in England.

Are you against that too?

Yes, but what's that got to do with this?
    The Punter wrote: »
    Making your voice heard is pointless? Wow.

Someone should tell blm.

Sorry lads, wharrabout other stuff is very defeatest of you - have you got to resort to that already?

What are we here to discuss? there's PLENTY of threads to discuss BLM, and Vigils in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Anyone going there tomorrow knows in advance there's going to be trouble. Gemma's goons and the other assorted far right wing nuts, the nonIrish Freedom Party, INP, will be out to have a go at the Gardai. So dont say you weren't warned.

bocaman wrote: »
    Anyone going there tomorrow knows in advance there's going to be trouble. Gemma's goons and the other assorted far right wing nuts, the nonIrish Freedom Party, INP, will be out to have a go at the Gardai. So dont say you weren't warned.

Anyone going tomorrow that thinks there won't be trouble is either lying or, very very stupid - so there will be plenty of both.

The government won't listen to me if sit on Boards.

And yes, end the lockdown. Give people their lives back. And their livelihoods and their mental health. Let them see their families again.

We know that's not workable though, have you got anything other than a few buzzwords?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They won't listen to you tomorrow either. Unless you're a virologist or an expert in viral pandemics maybe. And then there are channels of communication open to you.

Are you either of those things?

Do you have anything to contribute?
    And yes, end the lockdown. Give people their lives back. And their livelihoods and their mental health. Let them see their families again.

Yeah thought so. Im pissed off with it all too but that can't happen yet unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Yes, but what's that got to do with this?

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you thought that the protest against lockdown restrictions in IRELAND was stupid and invalid because they didn't have a clear workable proposal.

I asked you if you had similar feelings about the protest today about a woman killed by a policeman in ENGLAND was stupid and invalid because they didn't have a clear and workable proposal.

I can see how you got confused

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Hopefully it goes peacefully tomorrow. Would be better for their cause.

I don't think anyone should be protesting at the moment. That's for them to decide.

So in conclusion:

Protesting about black people in America and women in England, totally fine.

Protesting for Irish people in Ireland: 'NOOOOOOO!!!! Guards do something!! I'M SCARED OF THE FASCISTS!!!! HELP ME!!!

The guards are racist though aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The Nal wrote: »
    You have your voice here now.

Whats your solution to all this?

Just "end the lockdown" is it?

The exact same logic can be applied to all the supposedly righteous protests.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

They won't listen to you if you break restrictions and head into town shouting

WHAT DO WE WANT? WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

All you'll get is a sore throat, and possibly Covid.

• Advertisement

Protesting for Irish people in Ireland:

You're not protesting for me.

Theres a very contagious virus alive in the country which we're weeks away from suppressing to the point where we can start opening the country up again.

I think anyone who turns up tomorrow is an unpatriotic idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

"Protest against the government, but only in the manner they allow you to".

Right. Bootlicking cucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So in conclusion:

Protesting for Irish people in Ireland: 'NOOOOOOO!!!! Guards do something!! I'M SCARED OF THE FASCISTS!!!! HELP ME!!!

That's the hilarity of it all. If the police were aggressive tomorrow they'd likely be cheering it on, while they were outraged when it happened to their own kind a few days ago. Middle class snobs honestly think themselves king and queens, who don't need to live by the same standards as the plebs.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The same has been said to every protest movement.

Your point being?

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you thought that the protest against lockdown restrictions in IRELAND was stupid and invalid because they didn't have a clear workable proposal.

I asked you if you had similar feelings about the protest today about a woman killed by a policeman in ENGLAND was stupid and invalid because they didn't have a clear and workable proposal.

I can see how you got confused

WTF are you on about - this is a thread about a protest in dublin tomorrow - I don't give a fuck about your nonsense whataboutery. you clearly have nothing to add for yourself other than go on about other protests, its pathetic.
    So in conclusion:

Ehm, I answered your question with a Yes - as in yes - i condemn that vigil protest during a pandemic.

you are just ignoring what I say and making up a conclusion that disagrees with my post - :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Unfortunately the rent a mob who turn up play right into the goverments hands and put off the people who would attend and make their point in a reasonable way .The goverment only pay attention when they see their own voters out not the fringe groups who will never vote the main parties no matter what .People have every right to be angry as our useless leaders have no plan to improve the situation just happy to close everything for months on end I believe a lot of shops and services could be open with a bit of thought as to how it can be safely done .

The point is the demorilisation tactic dosen't.

Doesn't what?

Your making no sense.

Allinall wrote: »
    Doesn't what?

Your making no sense.

That is deliberate tbh

WTF are you on about - this is a thread about a protest in dublin tomorrow - I don't give a fuck about your nonsense whataboutery. you clearly have nothing to add for yourself other than go on about other protests, its pathetic:

I was drawing a direct comparison towards the two protests and noting your apathy to one and not the other, based purely on your bias.

Your obvious bias seems to have no issue with one, but a huge issue with the other.

It's not whataboutism, it's just calling out your hypocrisy.

If you want me to again reiterate my view, I am opposed to any mass public gatherings during the pandemic. I find it irresponsible and wouldn't be involved at all. That being said, I respect every individuals right to stand up for what they believe in.

I condemn every bad faith actor and despise people who use horrific situations to be seen to be "progressive" or "freedom seekers".

Two cheeks of the same ****ty arse.

But there are genuine people who this effects and I defend their right to be heard. Even if I don't agree with them.

It dosen't work. The 'don't even try bro, the gov won't even listen' tactic.

What do you think the government will do as a result of the protest tomorrow?

• Advertisement

I was drawing a direct comparison towards the two protests and noting your apathy to one and not the other, based purely on your bias.

Your obvious bias seems to have no issue with one, but a huge issue with the other.

It's not whataboutism, it's just calling out your hypocrisy.

If you want me to again reiterate my view, I am opposed to any mass public gatherings during the pandemic. I find it irresponsible and would be involved at all. That being said, I respect every individuals right to stand up for what they believe in.

I condemn every bad faith actor and despise people who use horrific situations to be seen to be "progressive" or "freedom seekers".

Two cheeks of the same ****ty arse.

But there are genuine people who this effects and I defend their right to be heard. Even if I don't agree with them.

My bias: where I said that I condemn both - that bias?

Are you deliberately ignoring what I wrote and deciding my viewpoint for me?

It's possible to both call out whataboutery and also condemn all these protests.

You're just trying to legitimise your whataboutery - that's all.

also your "i condemn all protests but defend their right to be heard" makes a shedload of sense.

I don't know. But they will be forced to listen us.

They won't - they've the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

No they won't, there may be a couple of hundred at it, most people can see the light at the end of the tunnel, they aren't interested in super spreader events some of which are organised by far right fringe elements

Unfortunately the rent a mob who turn up play right into the goverments hands and put off the people who would attend and make their point in a reasonable way .The goverment only pay attention when they see their own voters out not the fringe groups who will never vote the main parties no matter what .People have every right to be angry as our useless leaders have no plan to improve the situation just happy to close everything for months on end I believe a lot of shops and services could be open with a bit of thought as to how it can be safely done .

This is really it. They're all too thick, lazy and unorganised to put a bit of thought, planning and strategy into it and more concerned with just projecting their own failures onto other people.

Any of the successful protests (the 8th, both sides of it) received favourable and extensive media coverage as they were well organised.

Tomorrow is another Jobstown style water protest where a load of sad angry losers just want to vent off at anyone they can.

No plan, no solutions, no strategy. Just failure and anger.

also your "i condemn all protests but defend their right to be heard" makes a shedload of sense.

It doesn't make any sense. That's why I didn't say it.

I said I am opposed to mass gatherings during a pandemic but I do defend the rights of people who need to be heard.

I condemn the bad actors who hijack legitimate concerns for their own agendas.

And I'm sorry, I didn't see the post where you explicitly said you condemn the people who are protesting today about the woman killed in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Imagine being so scared of a virus that only kills the morbidly obese and those aged 80+, that you willingly give up your freedom, the economy and accept the blighting of your children's future?

And all because Big Brothr government says so. Wow.

Textbook strawman

Eh... no they won't.

It doesn't make any sense. That's why I didn't say it.

I said I am opposed to mass gatherings during a pandemic but I do defend the rights of people who need to be heard.

I condemn the bad actors who hijack legitimate concerns for their own agendas.

And I'm sorry, I didn't see the post where you explicitly said you condemn the people who are protesting today about the woman killed in England.

I didn't know there was one until you brought it up tbh, I came here to discuss the protest thats happening tomorrow - but you seem hell bent on discussing it for some reason? distraction? drag the thread off topic? I dunno?

I was asked did I condemn this other protest - I answered yes - but this isn't clear enough for you? I'm not sure this is the right sport for you if that's the case.

Hey at least we'll be outside, weather is promised good. Meanwhile you'll waste another day of your life on Boards. Like you've done everyday for the last year.

And you just found it and joined today I bet :pac:

• Advertisement

Hey at least we'll be outside, weather is promised good. Meanwhile you'll waste another day of your life on Boards. Like you've done everyday for the last year.

The weather is nice today. Perhaps you might take your own advice and get out for a bit.

Advertisement