Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Punter wrote: »
    Imagine being so scared of a virus that only kills the morbidly obese and those aged 80+, that you willingly give up your freedom, the economy and accept the blighting of your children's future?

And all because Big Brothr government says so. Wow.

Garden variety stuff there. Boring.

So lets get to your solution then for all this. Lets open the place up. What happens when hospitals reach capacity like they did in the north or like they are in Brazil now. ie theres no capacity to take in anymore people (for any ailment) and people cant get medical care.

What happens then?

I didn't know there was one until you brought it up tbh, I came here to discuss the protest thats happening tomorrow - but you seem hell bent on discussing it for some reason? distraction? drag the thread off topic? I dunno?

I was asked did I condemn this other protest - I answered yes - but this isn't clear enough for you? I'm not sure this is the right sport for you if that's the case.

As I said, I missed your post where you condemned it. I apologised.

As have constantly referred to the protest tomorrow which I disagree with but will stop short of condemning. I think it's exceptionally unfair to judge all people attending as some beer swilling yobs as many posters have alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

If I stay at home tomorrow like a good little boy will the Gov let me go 5.5km from my home in 3 months time as a reward?

Will they if you go roaring and shouting in town?

If I stay at home tomorrow like a good little boy will the Gov let me go 5.5km from my home in 3 months time as a reward?

No idea chief. None at all. We are all in this together and whatever happens tomorrow, I only hope it goes off peacefully and respectfully but I seriously doubt it will

It'll be especially damaging considering our media's propensity to exaggerate and the fact that all eyes will be on us for our national day.

How does the health service cope with flu every year? How come we don't need a lockdown for that?

Because the flu isn't as contagious and there was a known tried and tested vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

As I said, I missed your post where you condemned it. I apologised.

As have constantly referred to the protest tomorrow which I disagree with but will stop short of condemning. I think it's exceptionally unfair to judge all people attending as some beer swilling yobs as many posters have alluded to.

They are yobs as far as I’m concerned. They should just stay at home instead of putting everyone in danger with their selfish action-hero “I’m gonna make a difference” deluded fantasies.

They are yobs as far as I’m concerned. They should just stay at home instead of putting everyone in danger with their selfish action-hero “I’m gonna make a difference” deluded fantasies.

And again, at risk of being admonished for "whataboutism", do you feel the same about the people protesting in town today or is it just a case of you not believing in this protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

good little boy.... reward...

Jesus christ, if that's how you see the world no wonder you're confused and protesting.

How does the health service cope with flu every year? How come we don't need a lockdown for that?
    Because the flu isn't as contagious and there was a known tried and tested vaccine

Yep. This.

So now answer my question.

What happens when hospitals reach capacity like they did in the north or like they are in Brazil now. ie theres no capacity to take in anymore people (for any ailment) and people cant get medical care.

What happens then?

I'm there to protest peacefully, as are the vast majority. I don't particularly care what the media thinks of us. At the end of the day it's going to normal people there, not far-right death squads.

I don't doubt that. But just be aware there will be bad faith actors there and the media will frame you all as alt-right lunatics.

I know you don't care but just look after yourself and be safe.

• Advertisement

And again, at risk of being admonished for "whataboutism", do you feel the same about the people protesting in town today or is it just a case of you not believing in this protest?

Whataboutism. I don’t know why you think dragging other protests into it means anything. This thread is about the protests against Coronavirus restrictions tomorrow being carried out by the rent a mob professional protestors and bored fantasists looking for an excuse to go on a pissed up jolly with their friends on St Patrick’s Day. I am sticking to this topic and this topic only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

YFG and other fringe elements at it again?

All protest should be allowed if carried out in a safe manner IMO.

But it's ok to protest over women's and black rights?

More whataboutism.

Thank you, I will. I also appreciate the fact that even though you don't approve of the protest, you can do so without calling people idiots and fascists.

Maybe if it wasn't going to be full of idiots and fascists it would be harder to call them that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

wes wrote: »
    They have a right to protests, but not to break out current restrictions. If they are not wearing masks, socially distancing, or breached the 5 KM limit during the protests, then imo fines etc should be handed out on that basis.

You're making these rules up though. There's no rules against not wearing masks outdoors or not socially distancing. So you're suggesting fines be applied just to this protest?

I don't support anti-lockdown protests at all, but the above seems inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

The Nal wrote: »
    Garden variety stuff there. Boring.

So lets get to your solution then for all this. Lets open the place up. What happens when hospitals reach capacity like they did in the north or like they are in Brazil now. ie theres no capacity to take in anymore people (for any ailment) and people cant get medical care.

What happens then?

Triage.

Maybe if it wasn't going to be full of idiots and fascists it would be harder to call them that.

Don’t stoop down to their level by calling them names. It’s what they want.

Don’t stoop down to their level by calling them names. It’s what they want.

Meh, they want to destroy any discussion with whataboutery and all sorts, it's impossible

You sound even more terrified of the far right than you are of the virus! :D

Do I? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sadly, whether is a nonsensical BLM protest in Dublin or an anti restrictions one, the only thing it will achieve is prolonging the covid movement laws.

The only reason we are still in this mess is because people put themselves or their cause before the greater good.

• Advertisement

Meh, they want to destroy any discussion with whataboutery and all sorts, it's impossible

“Wharrabout de blacks and the wymmin, sure deyre up ta all sorts.” :rolleyes:

I don’t know why they just can’t enjoy their cans at home instead of putting the rest of us in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Even without so called protests the city center should probably be avoided tomorrow unless can swigging scrotes, scumbag behaviour and random assaults are your thing.

Whataboutism. I don’t know why you think dragging other protests into it means anything. This thread is about the protests against Coronavirus restrictions tomorrow being carried out by the rent a mob professional protestors and bored fantasists looking for an excuse to go on a pissed up jolly with their friends on St Patrick’s Day. I am sticking to this topic and this topic only.

"Whataboutism" seems to be the go-to answer when you can't answer a simple question without contradicting yourself.

In order to discuss this topic with you, I need to know whether your views on the disregard to coronavirus restrictions is limited only to this event or whether it's a blanket opinion you hold towards all mass gatherings, despite of your bias.

The fact you refuse to answer makes me believe you are using it as a stick to beat a protest you disagree with politically and socially. Which is fine. You do you. But I can't debate in good faith if I don't know the basis of your argument or your motivations behind your reasoning.

It's not whataboutism, it's civilised debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You sound even more terrified of the far right than you are of the virus! :D

Well, they are, wilfully, trying to spread the virus. We will all pay for this with a longer lockdown.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'm there to protest peacefully, as are the vast majority. I don't particularly care what the media thinks of us. At the end of the day it's going to normal people there, not far-right death squads.

That's a strange attitude to have.

How will the government react if the media don't cover it in a positive way?

Surely you should be trying to get them onside?

More whataboutism.

society is full of it, look at Leo today...but but but whatbout them..who?? the shinners... give over, you need to play that card on your last throw not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Even without so called protests the city center should probably be avoided tomorrow unless can swigging scrotes, scumbag behaviour and random assaults are your thing.

Just another normal Wednesday so. :pac:

"Whataboutism" seems to be the go-to answer when you can't answer a simple question without contradicting yourself.

In order to discuss this topic with you, I need to know whether your views on the disregard to coronavirus restrictions is limited only to this event or whether it's a blanket opinion you hold towards all mass gatherings, despite of your bias.

The fact you refuse to answer makes me believe you are using it as a stick to beat a protest you disagree with politically and socially. Which is fine. You do you. But I can't debate in good faith if I don't know the basis of your argument or your motivations behind your reasoning.

It's not whataboutism, it's civilised debate.

It is whataboutism. You can’t debate the topic so you’re trying to invent a scenario where I’m some sort of hypocrite in order to discredit me and I won’t participate.

Well it'll be the apocalypse! Except the health service will cope just like it did with Polio and TB and flu.

Great. Show us the numbers to back that up please.

You obviously have information that millions of doctors, scientists and virologists around the world don't have.

Id admire you're faith in the institutions that you're protesting against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

The only reason we are still in this mess is because people put themselves or their cause before the greater good.

People evaluate the 'greater good' differently.

Also, talking about the 'greater good' doesn't make you altruistic, it just makes you sound like those creepy villagers from Hot Fuzz.

Advertisement