Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

Nope, lots of UDA & EDL men though, and so called Irish "patriots" marching beside them?

Fuck that, go and lick them brit boots lad, a shame on yourself.

Go on, look it up, you know it's true too.

Well that's not a good look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Well that's not a good look for you.

I'm not here to provide a 'look'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

DerekC16 wrote: »
    Yeah but Ruth Coppinger said thats an essential protest.

Has she been fined for breaching the 5km restriction ?

I'm not here to provide a 'look'

Evidently not. But you do seem to be here to be needlessly aggressive and inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gardai should grab anyone they see and vaccinate them MOHAHAHA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

This is just an excuse for malcontents to have a load of cans, call the Gardaí some horrible names, act the prick, and then make out it's some sort of legitimate protest or standing up against some sort of perceived elite.

Everyone is bored of lockdown, and have sympathy by those who have been negatively impacted by the lockdowns. The sort of knobs who will rock up to RTÉ tomorrow though are the type of knuckledraggers who watched a few Facebook videos and follow fellow malcontents on Twitter.
    Urban legends hoping to make a name for themselves.

Evidently not. But you do seem to be here to be needlessly aggressive and inflammatory.

The guy who thanked the above said they are bringing glass bottles to make molotov cocktails tomorrow.

But I - am inflammatory..

The Punter wrote: »
    Well sure we'll find a common ground in our opposition to the lockdown. Old hatreds will be forgotten.

And you said no good would come from this!

Just kinda devalues the whole "we're patriots marching for ireland" though doesn't it?

It's kinda another love ulster march - but with Irish folk marching alongside this time, instead of throwing paving bricks at them

The guy who thanked the above said they are bringing glass bottles to make molotov cocktails tomorrow.

But I - am inflammatory..

He probably also once said he would murder a cup of tea. Context is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

If the state wants to suspend the right to protest, I'm not ok with it but I can understand how it may be the lesser of two evils.

What I'm more uncomfortable with is the banning of some protests, and the allowing of others, with the decision being based on the cause being protested. Think of the regimes that have historically banned/broken up protests based on what is being protested - now add Ireland to that list. It's not good company to be in.

So yeah, ban protests or don't, but either way apply the principle evenly. The same goes for other mass gatherings. I'm sick of one rule for some and a different rule for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Some wan from the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties is on the Last Word criticising the Gardai for taking people's names at protests.

She'll have an absolute fit when the tear gas starts being fired tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Even without so called protests the city center should probably be avoided tomorrow unless can swigging scrotes, scumbag behaviour and random assaults are your thing.

Didn't you hear? After today's protests the streets are all safe now.
    The scumbags have been told to behave themselves and so they will.
    Didn't you see the signs saying "reclaim the streets"?
    It's all good. Scumbags firmly put in their place.

tjhook wrote: »
    If the state wants to suspend the right to protest, I'm not ok with it but I can understand how it may be the lesser of two evils.

What I'm more uncomfortable with is the banning of some protests, and the allowing of others, with the decision being based on the cause being protested. Think of the regimes that have historically banned/broken up protests based on what is being protested - now add Ireland to that list. It's not good company to be in.

So yeah, ban protests or don't, but either way apply the principle evenly. The same goes for other mass gatherings. I'm sick of one rule for some and a different rule for others.

Careful chief. People will accuse you of whataboutism.

(I agree with you btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is just an excuse for malcontents to have a load of cans, call the Gardaí some horrible names, act the prick, and then make out it's some sort of legitimate protest or standing up against some sort of perceived elite.

Everyone is bored of lockdown, and have sympathy by those who have been negatively impacted by the lockdowns. The sort of knobs who will rock up to RTÉ tomorrow though are the type of knuckledraggers who watched a few Facebook videos and follow fellow malcontents on Twitter.

They know that whatever happens or otherwise is going to make ZERO impact as to government policy. Government policy is informed by health experts. Not informed by thugs... it will just be an excuse for thugs to behave like thugs... all because they can’t be arsed being part of the solution, can’t be arsed being team players... their greatest efforts for the most part between them and the state is to rock up, hand out to collect their social....

Ironically they are the same fûckwits who’d be screaming blue murder if they or a relation caught covid but there wasn’t a spare hospital bed to put them in... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

touts wrote: »
    Some wan from the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties is on the Last Word criticising the Gardai for taking people's names at protests.

She'll have an absolute fit when the tear gas starts being fired tomorrow.
    One of the most irritating NGO's out there. A group fishing for a cause. We love in one of the most liberal countries in the world.

They couldn't even endorse the completely benign covid app to help control the spread of the disease.

You really are desperate to dissuade me from going!

Nah, couldn't give a fiddlers - I'm sure you'll be back to tell us all about it anyway

:p
    Strumms wrote: »
    their greatest efforts for the most part between them and the state is to rock up, hand out to collect their social....

As much as I am opposed to the protests, it's this absolutely ****ty attitude that boils my piss.

A vast number of people protesting will be small business owners who are crippled because of an inconsistent attitude towards reopening of their own businesses

They are protesting so they DONT need to collect a social welfare payment.

Yes, there will be scumbags there. But not every person and certainly not most people there should be lumped into the category you and a few others want to put them into.

It's a canny tactic used to dissuade regular folk from turning up. "Oh everyone there is alt-right, you better not go".

Someone here earlier branded them as fascist

Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You really are desperate to dissuade me from going!

Don't mind that poster.

The rest of us know you're doing it for the Irish people because everyone else is stupid.

You have the inside info and the knowledge that the rest of the 4.9 million people in the country don't seem to have. Actually, the rest of the world really.

None of the tens of millions of health experts, doctors, virologists, lab workers, pharmacists etc with literally billions of years of study between them have the knowledge you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Should they have been there? Mass gatherings are prohibited at the moment.

It's not like the issue they are protesting about is going to be resolved to their satisfaction before July. Couldn't it wait until then?

6667d951cf3f7a2ceadab95d8cd6abd2.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/67/d9/6667d951cf3f7a2ceadab95d8cd6abd2.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Should they have been there? Mass gatherings are prohibited at the moment.

It's not like the issue they are protesting about is going to be resolved to their satisfaction before July. Couldn't it wait until then?

People have a base right to protest, if they do it very carefully with respect to the health guidelines then I don't have a problem with it. And it looks like they did here. And if I thought that tomorrow we'd see the same thing I wouldn't have an issue with that either.

• Advertisement

People won’t be protesting while maintaining social distancing and wearing masks though, that’s the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

People have a base right to protest, if they do it very carefully with respect to the health guidelines then I don't have a problem with it. And it looks like they did here. And if I thought that tomorrow we'd see the same thing I wouldn't have an issue with that either.

Couldn't it wait? As I said, it's not likely that the issue will be resolved before the pandemic ends.

Rights, even the one to protest, are not absolute. And what did that protest achieve? Has it changed attitudes? Or was it just a photo opp for the gratification of those present?

This group claims to care about women, yet are happy to continue to create an environment where breast cancers will continue to go undetected. Where women suffering miscarriage hear that awful news alone. Care about women ha, they care about themselves.

And if you think I'm picking on one side, I hope the Garda don't go easy on the protests tomorrow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That cameraman that was a disgusting paedophile?

He was probably high on adrenochrome.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

But surely if the virus is so terrible, so horrific that we literally cannot see other people and travel more than 5km from home, there should be no protests at all?

ain't no point in protesting, it's not getting us back to normal any quicker but there is always people who think they no better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Pointless protesting outside the GPO against violent attacks on women. Its not the post office that allow the habitual animal scum on 200 previous convictions that repeatedly attack women to walk the streets. Its the judicary that continually allow that to happen.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Strumms wrote: »
    They know that whatever happens or otherwise is going to make ZERO impact as to government policy. Government policy is informed by health experts. Not informed by thugs... it will just be an excuse for thugs to behave like thugs... all because they can’t be arsed being part of the solution, can’t be arsed being team players... their greatest efforts for the most part between them and the state is to rock up, hand out to collect their social....

Ironically they are the same fûckwits who’d be screaming blue murder if they or a relation caught covid but there wasn’t a spare hospital bed to put them in... :rolleyes:

This nightmare will affect everybody eventually; some are just a lot better insulated than others right now-that's why they're sneering snobbily at protesters who don't have things as comfortable as they do. I was at the last protest and "rocket man" and about 20 others aside, it was just normal people. I won't be going tomorrow because I can see how the narrative is already written, just like I could see on Grafton St how the garda tactics were designed to be antagonistic long before any trouble started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

sabat wrote: »
    This nightmare will affect everybody eventually; some are just a lot better insulated than others right now-that's why they're sneering snobbily at protesters who don't have things as comfortable as they do. I was at the last protest and "rocket man" and about 20 others aside, it was just normal people. I won't be going tomorrow because I can see how the narrative is already written, just like I could see on Grafton St how the garda tactics were designed to be antagonistic long before any trouble started.

Question to ask yourself, if people didn't want to start anything how come they came prepared with fireworks/bottles etc?

Seemed to be fairly equipped for people just out for a peaceful protest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Couldn't it wait? As I said, it's not likely that the issue will be resolved before the pandemic ends.

Rights, even the one to protest, are not absolute. And what did that protest achieve? Has it changed attitudes? Or was it just a photo opp for the gratification of those present?

This group claims to care about women, yet are happy to continue to create an environment where breast cancers will continue to go undetected. Where women suffering miscarriage hear that awful news alone. Care about women ha, they care about themselves.

And if you think I'm picking on one side, I hope the Garda don't go easy on the protests tomorrow either.

It's a relatively small number of people in a very well ventilated space, masked up. There's no overcrowding of public transport or anything. The chances of them contributing to the continuation of the current environment are very low, that's the meat of it. They'd be as bad off going to a supermarket and being indoors.

I agree the right to protest isn't absolute, but I think it's an important enough right that a blanket ban isn't good enough. They aren't affecting anyone or protesting for anything undemocratic, it's very small, well controlled and supervised, if something like that can't go ahead then there's a serious problem here.

You don’t know anything about our lives or who we might have lost or come close to losing during this pandemic. You have no clue, don’t you dare accuse us of sitting in ivory towers untouched by the realities of life because we won’t endorse your shallow excuse for a piss-up tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we're all basking in the comfort of the pandemic here. Would ye go and feck off with that classist crap.

Advertisement