Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Protests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

18 deaths today.

Enjoy the cans tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I agree the right to protest isn't absolute, but I think it's an important enough right that a blanket ban isn't good enough. They aren't affecting anyone or protesting for anything undemocratic, it's very small, well controlled and supervised, if something like that can't go ahead then there's a serious problem here.

It's fine for you or me to have an opinion on the merits of any cause - but is it right for the law to be applied based on whether the protest is small, or people are "protesting for anything undemocratic"? So if a cause is popular (i.e. lots of supporters), a protest can't go ahead, whereas an unpopular cause (e.g. me protesting with 12 others about smut in movies) may be fine?

I would say a blanket rule is preferable. Either allow or disallow protest. The state has no business judging the merits of particular causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gardai need bodycams so if something major does kick off they have footage to prove what happened in the run up to the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

18 deaths today.

Enjoy the cans tomorrow.

'Today' ...really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cant wait to see the usual faces come in here to condemn this protest who were utterly silent on the george njchenko funeral , the traveller funeral, the ruth coppinger protest and the uk vigil.

Every single one of these protests are moronic and dangerous superspreader events, I dont think anyone can come in to any thread and loudly condemn one without having condemned them all.

Have you got a good spreadsheet of posters on every thread so as to catch them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

18 deaths today.

Enjoy the cans tomorrow.

Context? As so far this month they've been reporting deaths and historical cases from last year, we don't go from two days of 0 to 18 the day before the protests.
    They've manipulated the data to suit the agenda, for all we know they could all be denotifications over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a relatively small number of people in a very well ventilated space, masked up. There's no overcrowding of public transport or anything. The chances of them contributing to the continuation of the current environment are very low, that's the meat of it. They'd be as bad off going to a supermarket and being indoors.

I agree the right to protest isn't absolute, but I think it's an important enough right that a blanket ban isn't good enough. They aren't affecting anyone or protesting for anything undemocratic, it's very small, well controlled and supervised, if something like that can't go ahead then there's a serious problem here.
    I'll ask again, couldn't the protest wait?

Should have named the thread St. Patty's Day Protests to get the full range of unhinged responses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'll ask again, couldn't the protest wait?

That's not for me (or you) to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

The age range of those who died today started at 55 but don't let's facts ruin your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not for me (or you) to judge

Why not? Of course we can have an opinion on whether or not this illegal mass gathering was appropriate in the middle of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

:p

As much as I am opposed to the protests, it's this absolutely ****ty attitude that boils my piss.

A vast number of people protesting will be small business owners who are crippled because of an inconsistent attitude towards reopening of their own businesses

They are protesting so they DONT need to collect a social welfare payment.

Yes, there will be scumbags there. But not every person and certainly not most people there should be lumped into the category you and a few others want to put them into.

It's a canny tactic used to dissuade regular folk from turning up. "Oh everyone there is alt-right, you better not go".

Someone here earlier branded them as fascist

Absolute rubbish.

Fascists :

Anti community, anti democracy, ultra nationalistic, not against violence if it means they achieve their aims....

There is an inconsistent attitude because every time things get to the cusp of opening up ? A reasonable percentage of people fûck things up ! The government can’t be consistent in the decisions they make as long as people are not being consistent as regards how they behave... now this shîtshow tomorrow, won’t be peaceful, I think we know that, but you’ll have all the excuses from the excusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Is this being broadcast on RTE as an alternative to the parade??

Ninthlife wrote: »

It's being presented by Anto and Deco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's being presented by Anto and Deco.

And Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Should have named the thread St. Patty's Day Protests to get the full range of unhinged responses.
    water cannon, teargas and buckshot :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Ninthlife wrote: »

The revolution will be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dutch Gold parade

18 deaths today.

Enjoy the cans tomorrow.

What's your obsession with cans?

Why can't you post without trying to inflame?

I'm more than happy to discuss issues with people I disagree with.

Why do you want to consistently want to argue?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Will be 100% in attendance.
    Do I think it will change anything, probably not but at least I can say I tried. There's absolutely no justification for level 5 lockdown.
    if it's safe enough to be packed in supermarkets or off-licence then it should be safe enough to do other thing's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Allinall

The Punter wrote: »
    It's sad those 18 people aged 80+ with underlying health conditions passed away. Just not sure shutting down the country is justified.

How do you know they were all over 80?

I’ll answer for you.
    You don’t, because they were not.

Strumms wrote: »
    Fascists :

Anti community, anti democracy, ultra nationalistic, not against violence if it means they achieve their aims....

There is an inconsistent attitude because every time things get to the cusp of opening up ? A reasonable percentage of people fûck things up ! The government can’t be consistent in the decisions they make as long as people are not being consistent as regards how they behave... now this shîtshow tomorrow, won’t be peaceful, I think we know that, but you’ll have all the excuses from the excusers.

You honestly think that the people rallying against the government are fascist?

As I've said multiple times, I disagree with the protest. If you call them fascist, then you lose credibility.

I agree, it won't be peaceful. There will be bad actors. Did you hold BLM to the same extent?

You can't stop dickheads usurp a decent movement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Strumms wrote: »
    Fascists :

That is nowhere near or close to the actual definition of fascism.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

What's your obsession with cans?

Why can't you post without trying to inflame?

I'm more than happy to discuss issues with people I disagree with.

Why do you want to consistently want to argue?
    The people protesting tomorrow are the lowest of the low, in my view. I’m not trying to inflame anyway, I truly believe that the majority of the people going are doing it for an excuse to go on the batter on St Patrick’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

tommybrees wrote: »
    Will be 100% in attendance.
    Do I think it will change anything, probably not but at least I can say I tried. There's absolutely no justification for level 5 lockdown.
    if it's safe enough to be packed in supermarkets or off-licence then it should be safe enough to do other thing's.

So you acknowledge yourself it will probably change little, but are going anyway?

The rest of us want to go out too you know, and have things back to normal. You're not some sort of exceptional case.

Yet you're going, will be interacting with others, using state resources, all so you can say "at least I tried". Tried what exactly? So you're going to get some self gratification.

Altbough I disagree with you, fair play for being honest. I'm just unsure how you can't see the countless fallacies in your logic.

Why not? Of course we can have an opinion on whether or not this illegal mass gathering was appropriate in the middle of the pandemic.

And I've already explained why I think it was appropriately done.

Get Real wrote: »
    So you acknowledge yourself it will probably change little, but are going anyway?

The rest of us want to go out too you know, and have things back to normal. You're not some sort of exceptional case.

Yet you're going, will be interacting with others, using state resources, all so you can say "at least I tried". Tried what exactly? So you're going to get some self gratification.

Altbough I disagree with you, fair play for being honest. I'm just unsure how you can't see the countless fallacies in your logic.

See this...this is why I get accused of whataboutism.

The people who went to the event today would have travelled on the same busses, didn't socially distance when the camera wasn't there, but no furore.

I HATE the thought of this **** tomorrow and feel it's a terrible thing, but be consistent in your condemnation.

It will be a **** show. Without a doubt. And I never will condo e it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The people protesting tomorrow are the lowest of the low, in my view. I’m not trying to inflame anyway, I truly believe that the majority of the people going are doing it for an excuse to go on the batter on St Patrick’s Day.

Completely agree. Whatever measures the Guards employ tomorrow to discourage, divert or break up these absolutely nonsensical and vexatious gatherings have my full support.

tjhook wrote: »
    It's fine for you or me to have an opinion on the merits of any cause - but is it right for the law to be applied based on whether the protest is small, or people are "protesting for anything undemocratic"? So if a cause is popular (i.e. lots of supporters), a protest can't go ahead, whereas an unpopular cause (e.g. me protesting with 12 others about smut in movies) may be fine?

I would say a blanket rule is preferable. Either allow or disallow protest. The state has no business judging the merits of particular causes.

Yeah that is dodgy alright, but I would say rather that 100 small protests of a popular cause should be allowed and not one large protest.

• Advertisement

I don't doubt that. I am sure that is your genuine belief. I am sure it's going to be horrific and I do think it's going to go pear shaped

I do believe that it will be a minority that give the majority a bad name.

I do think you wouldn't hold other people to that standard though. And I honestly think you are so far gone in your belief that you feel you are on "the right side".

Advertisement