Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep.... what’s that?

Options
  • 16-03-2021 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi everyone.

I have a 15mth old girl. She was great last year to sleep. I was hospitalised late last year and was there for 2 weeks. While I was in my husband did everything for our 2 kids and due to lockdown he had very little help. Due to my condition I’m immune compromised.... I’m rambling now.

She goes down every night no problem, after an hour she wakes and every 30-40 minutes after.
    We have been consistent in staying and support, no lifting her. No change in routine, we don’t lift her out of cot unless she is hysterical which is rarely.
    I’m at my wits end. My son is back at school and he hasn’t had a nights sleep in 4 weeks. We have tried Lucy Wolfe book last year and it worked!
    But not this time!

Help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

greysgut wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I have a 15mth old girl. She was great last year to sleep. I was hospitalised late last year and was there for 2 weeks. While I was in my husband did everything for our 2 kids and due to lockdown he had very little help. Due to my condition I’m immune compromised.... I’m rambling now.

She goes down every night no problem, after an hour she wakes and every 30-40 minutes after.
    We have been consistent in staying and support, no lifting her. No change in routine, we don’t lift her out of cot unless she is hysterical which is rarely.
    I’m at my wits end. My son is back at school and he hasn’t had a nights sleep in 4 weeks. We have tried Lucy Wolfe book last year and it worked!
    But not this time!

Help!!!!

I wouldn’t mind any of that advice about not lifting her out. Believe me I did it all and my lads sleep grand ( mostly anyway). Lift her out, get in with her, take her to your bed. Do whatever works. She will grow out of it eventually- she’s only a small thing.

( btw the sleep training probably didn’t and won’t help. Sleep is developmental. )

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I have no time for that nonsense that the Wolfe in sheeps clothing is peddling either.

Totally agree with above, you need to prioritise your own sleep. Do whatever helps the whole family sleep. If that means a toddler or two in your bed then do that. It won't last forever. This too shall pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’d agree with the previous posters. Do whatever you need to get sleep. There are no medals for parents who’s kids sleep all night in their cots/beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do ye have one of the cameras that ye can talk through? It sounds most likely that it is just a phase, but phase or no phase ye need sleep... Our fella just gone a year and a bit can be a right nightmare and had some rough weeks with him waking, turns out when he does not settle if you just say a few words to him over the monitor like name go to sleep, and sshhh he actually does. Might cry for a bit and stand up but normally three goes works wonders. Might be worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut

Thanks for your replies x

I’ve no problem putting her in the bed with us, we have. It’s just I can’t be in the bed incase I get a kick as I’m still recovering. So it’s mostly my husband that would be in the bed with her and I’m left in the single bed.

My son was in the bed with us a good bit up until he was about 18 months I’d say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Currently awake with my 1 year old. I was just thinking back to when my oldest was that age. He had terrible trouble with his teeth coming in around then as well. He’s three now and his sleep has been very broken since he went back to preschool last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Almost 17 month old who is only this week coming out of a sleep regression. Started about 15 months and upto that she was a banker for sleep. 13 hours easily a night and if she woke during the night settled herself again.

It started with her waking really early. Then that stopped and she’d wake during the night for an hour or so and then we had a week where it was really difficult to put her down. So the goal posts kept changing. Now throughout this she was cranky too during the day and off her food. Definitely going through a developmental leap and started to learn to climb and walk. I’d say her head was melted. She also got a few teeth in this time.

To get sleep we would give her a bottle during the night and settle her back down. Hindsight I wish I hadn’t done this as we then had to break this habit. She hadn’t been getting an overnight bottle since she was 3 months old so wasn’t hungry. She no longer looks for that now if she wakes up but I’m still working on getting her back to soothing herself if she wakes at night. So while things are better we aren’t fully there yet.

Do what you need to get some sleep and try not to give them too many bad habits. However if you are seeing signs of a developmental leap, know that it will pass. This is a tough one and by far the hardest I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Nearly 19 month old here and starting to go down easier at night but now waking from 4.30/5am. Hoping it's the 18 month regression and it will pass soon. This lack of sleep is tough going! Brings me back to the newborn days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

jellybear wrote: »
    Nearly 19 month old here and starting to go down easier at night but now waking from 4.30/5am. Hoping it's the 18 month regression and it will pass soon. This lack of sleep is tough going! Brings me back to the newborn days!!

One of my boys was waking 4-5 am for two months. He’s gone back to normal now. It was an absolute killer so you have my sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut

Thanks everyone for you replies !

Since the first post she’s been getting better each night. Last night myself and hubby sat in the sitting room watching tv, just us, for the first time in 16 months!

She has started to settle herself, and if I have to go in 1/2 times a night now it’s a lot compared to 2 weeks ago.

I just need to go with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement