Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linda Hayden - Social Democrats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

From a rising social democrats star to having to step down because of a series of racist tweets sent in her 30s https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/campaigner-linda-hayden-steps-down-from-social-democrats-after-racist-tweet-row-qtpq9ngcm

to now sending pictures of a mans penis, without consent to an abuse victim : https://gript.ie/linda-hayden-dick-pics/

not only is it tasteless and perpetrating abuse on a victim, but I'm pretty sure she's guilty under the image based sexual assault laws she championed

Its always hiding right inside the groups that protest this stuff so much.

The worst part is there are many on twitter asking for her to be left alone , despite her championing a witch hunt against many others.

There were a number worried that this would be used as fuel by the "Far-Right" to attack the Soc Dem's and the Far-Left in general.
    Rather than they focussing on the crimes themselves.

As if preaching a holier-than-thou, moral superiority when you are really a despicable human being should exempt you from the same opprobrium you'd unleash on others for far lesser "crimes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

She's one of the geebags from Irish twitter circles. Always the same people hanging out there backslapping each other and mob attacking others.

Serious pack of clowns the lot of them on twitter. Far right, Far left and everyone in between.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, it's been a fairly dramatic fall from grace. She's also had to apologise to Ciara Kelly for defaming her and causing an online witch hunt against her. While I wouldn't be Ciara's biggest fan, the actions of some of that group were horrible. Lots of the group came out supporting Hayden after the racist tweets came to light last week too, with many of the Victims Alliance crowd attacking black Twitter users that were criticising Hayden. Crazy stuff.

She's since also stepped down from her TortoiseShack podcast, who despite their efforts to portray themselves as standing up for the marginalised, initially defended her and did little about criticising her or her comments after she stepped down. These lads were also pushing Gemma O'Doherty as some sort of champion of the oppressed a couple of years back.

Thankfully, most of this is a big Twitter soap opera involving nobodies (such is most of Twitter). Sometimes worth a look for some passive amusement, but I do worry about the impact some of the witch hunts have on certain people. Hayden also looks to have caused quite a bit of distress to some sexual abuse victims.

From a rising social democrats star to having to step down because of a series of racist tweets sent in her 30s https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/campaigner-linda-hayden-steps-down-from-social-democrats-after-racist-tweet-row-qtpq9ngcm

to now sending pictures of a mans penis, without consent to an abuse victim : https://gript.ie/linda-hayden-dick-pics/

not only is it tasteless and perpetrating abuse on a victim, but I'm pretty sure she's guilty under the image based sexual assault laws she championed

Its always hiding right inside the groups that protest this stuff so much.

The worst part is there are many on twitter asking for her to be left alone , despite her championing a witch hunt against many others.

I love it when people reference paywalled articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

She's one of the geebags from Irish twitter circles. Always the same people hanging out there backslapping each other and mob attacking others.

Serious pack of clowns the lot of them on twitter. Far right, Far left and everyone in between.

Always watch out for those who claim to be holier than thou. They are usually the ones doing what they are telling everyone else not to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There were a number worried that this would be used as fuel by the "Far-Right" to attack the Soc Dem's and the Far-Left in general.

By failing to engage in the most basic vetting of their candidates, the Soc Dems provided that fuel themselves.

.anon. wrote: »
    By failing to engage in the most basic vetting of their candidates, the Soc Dems provided that fuel themselves.

happened to them with Ellie kysombe too. nothing new to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Floppybits wrote: »
    Always watch out for those who claim to be holier than thou. They are usually the ones doing what they are telling everyone else to do.

There is really quite a bit of truth to this I think. I see mob mentality on twitter and both sides of this argument hell for leather attacking each other. Some dope of a graduate lawyer screenshotting all Haydens tweets for her mob. If I was a prospective employer, I'd be definitely hesitant to take on someone so intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Huh, odd, no one along yet to dismiss the story as it's on gript.

• Advertisement

JMNolan wrote: »

which would usually happen, except theres a load of evidence for both there, it'll be hard to shake this one and its pretty indefensible, this might be one of the times the usual suspects have to ignore the whole thing, because they'd never publicly condemn.

JMNolan wrote: »

I'm sure the Far-Left Cavalry will show up sooner or later to obfuscate, and throw out straw men.

schadenfreude never tasted so sweet.

I despise the so-called cancel culture but can't help but feel a pang of satisfaction when people who perpetuate it are hoist by their own petard.

Happens all the time, there was that idiot mma fighter in Sinn Fein, Maria Bailey and Lowry FG, Liam Lawlor and few others in FF to name but a few.

They get in everywhere. Like I said it is always those that are the most intense o woke that you need to watch out for.

At least Ellie alluded to what has happened.
    Lots have been silent.

https://twitter.com/elliekisyombe1/status/1371074233518936069

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

She sounds seriously unpleasant. Lucky for the soc dems she wasn't elected. As you said, it hides inside the groups who protest these things the loudest

Isn't this just your everyday Twitter outrage spat? It's a platform for some of the most tragic, misguided, and angry in society. It's a tumour on civic discourse and society. It gives a platform to people who don't deserve and shouldn't have a platform.

Nah she's ****ed. Thankfully. Her whole persona was based on the fact she was virtuous and she hung friends out to dry if they deviated from the approved opinion of the super politically correct lunatics.

The snake is eating it's tail.

They are failing to meet their impossible standards.

Mules wrote: »
    She sounds seriously unpleasant. Lucky for the soc dems she wasn't elected. As you said, it hides inside the groups who protest these things the loudest

All those woke folks sound unpleasant no matter what side of the fence they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Live by the cancel culture, die by the cancel culture.

It's a terrible beast unleashed by the left and now it's eating its own.

• Advertisement

Nah she's ****ed. Thankfully. Her whole persona was based on the fact she was virtuous and she hung friends out to dry if they deviated from the approved opinion of the super politically correct lunatics.

The snake is eating it's tail.

They are failing to meet their impossible standards.

It must be an awful tough sad existence when trying to meet those impossible standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I love it when people reference paywalled articles.

And rags like Gript.

Is Gript even a word or just a kool way of spelling gripped. Always think it sounds like a gay hookup site like Grindr or Squirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

biko wrote: »
    Live by the cancel culture, die by the cancel culture.

Pretty much sums it up for her. A champion of cancel culture, she can have no complaints here.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up for her. A champion of cancel culture, she can have no complaints here.

Might be a blessing in disguise for her now she can go off and live her life without having to worry about meeting some impossible standards to get a few likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Exposed as an egotistical narcissist.

She had no respect for victims she was supposedly there to help, no respect for people of different backgrounds. It was only ever about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"My kinda chubb"

Classic bants

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you knew you tweeted verboten material, why would you run for office. She must have known this would come up

If you knew you tweeted verboten material, why would you run for office. She must have known this would come up

Sheer arrogance, probably thought being a woman and the lefty legion would save her

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

It was six years ago, I can only assume she had forgotten the tweets. Very silly though, if you're going to damn others you should really make sure you're squeaky clean yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It was six years ago, I can only assume she had forgotten the tweets. Very silly though, if you're going to damn others you should really make sure you're squeaky clean yourself.

It's an "empowered one" we are dealing with here...not the brightest.

Advertisement