Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linda Hayden - Social Democrats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

keano_afc wrote: »
    "The real problem here is not that someone is a racist, is the people who are exposing her racism."

No - the problem is the likes of gript trying to claim credit for other people's work.

That sh!te is the same type of rubbish that Hayden was known for, trying to piggyback her organisation onto every scandal she could.
    Gript pulling the same stunt here trying to steal someone else's credit for uncovering the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

blackwhite wrote: »
    No - the problem is the likes of gript trying to claim credit for other people's work.

That sh!te is the same type of rubbish that Hayden was known for, trying to piggyback her organisation onto every scandal she could.
    Gript pulling the same stunt here trying to steal someone else's credit for uncovering the story.

Not a fan of the site myself, but its surely just reporting on it. No thunder stealing from what I see.

I’ve just read the report by gript that was in the opening post.

They are revealing the dick pics part including screenshots of the WhatsApp chat.
    Gript can reveal that Linda Hayden, founder of the Victim’s Alliance and candidate for the Social Democrats in the 2020 General Election, sent unsolicited images of a sexual nature to a sexual abuse victim
    The recipient of the images told Gript that Hayden was well aware of her history of sexual abuse, and aware too that the material would not be something she felt comfortable receiving. The recipient said she felt Hayden had sent over the material “to test my boundaries, to see what she could get away with.

They’re not taking credit for the other stuff.
    Hayden has been a notable, albeit divisive, presence on Irish Twitter over the past number of years but she has now deleted her social media accounts, parted ways with the Social Democrats, and stepped away from the podcast she had presented on the left-wing Tortoise Shack network.

This followed a series of controversies involving Hayden on social media. Hayden recently had to apologise to the radio presenter Ciara Kelly after having made numerous untrue statements about the presenter. Shortly after Hayden issued that apology it was discovered that Hayden had made statements which were deemed to have been “racist” and “vile.” Hayden initially apologised for the comments and accepted that she had caused “hurt and pain” to the black community, but shortly thereafter deleted her accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Could we have links to the original breakers of the stories though, Ideally if I could stop the derailment talking about gript and only have people discuss the story and Lindas racism and ibsa id be much happier

There's a 9-tweet thread there that broke the story with reciepts if you click through, note the date (9th March), gript only copped on to it and published a few days later when it was already trending around Twitter from the Newsworthy digging

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1369310520159989762

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

They’re not taking credit for the other stuff.

Yeah I was just about to post similar. As much as I dislike Gript, I always dislike when people post falsehoods and things that just are not correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Yeah I was just about to post similar. As much as I dislike Gript, I always dislike when people post falsehoods and things that just are not correct.

Their original piece failed to credit any of those who actually made the damaging revelations about her. They came up with one piece well after she'd been exposed for the racist hypocrite that she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Also knows as an Elevenerife.

As in, if you went to Tenerife, they would go to Elevenerife.

Or Topper from Dilbert.

022708_2016_TheTopper1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

blackwhite wrote: »
    It was the newsworthy_ie twitter account that broke this, and kept dripping the information over a few days - Gript just jumped all over it to try and grab some of the attention for themselves.

Reputable media organisations do that kind of thing too. They repackaged the story for their own audience and there's nothing wrong with that. Whenever the editor of Gript, John McGuirk, or its owners, Youth Defence, do anything dodgy or dishonest, left-wing websites and blogs are all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

.anon. wrote: »
    Reputable media organisations do that kind of thing too. They repackaged the story for their own audience and there's nothing wrong with that. Whenever the editor of Gript, John McGuirk, or its owners, Youth Defence, do anything dodgy or dishonest, left-wing websites and blogs are all over it.

Exactly, it is how the Journal.ie makes its living. It is how many chat show hosts get topics of discussion from worldwide sources. I find it odd that the debate on this thread has now move on to one of the organisations who reported Hayden's issues in detail. Which moves away from the substantive points which is about Hayden herself, the Social Democrats and Rape Victim advocacy.

I never heard of 'Gript' before this as I also never heard of Hayden before this.
    But it seems they were a part of the process which lifted the veil on previous Hayden utterances.

Surely the more general debate should not be who reported it initially but how those who wish to be in the public eye. And act as a moral authority have to be very careful about what they say online? As it will more than likely be found at some stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Twitter is the Internet's shytepipe and anyone stupid enough to use this medium should be precluded from a career in the public eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

...Surely the more general debate should not be who reported it initially but how those who wish to be in the public eye. And act as a moral authority have to be very careful about what they say online? Should act morally and to a personal high standard rather than being a complete cnut. As it will more than likely be found at some stage.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Same thing happened to Clifford Lee when she was caught out making a few jokes about the pavees, she got away with it though because FF wouldn't be as full of dripping wet lefties as the SDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clifford-Lee's tweets were maybe one percent of the level of offensiveness and general unsuitability for public office of Hayden's. It just shows that the Soc Dems are incapable of making basic judgement calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

L1011 wrote: »
    Clifford-Lee's tweets were maybe one percent of the level of offensiveness and general unsuitability for public office of Hayden's. It just shows that the Soc Dems are incapable of making basic judgement calls.

She got a fair oul roasting for it though, I kinda like Clifford Lee she isn't the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

L1011 wrote: »

This is a party so watery they can't even decide on a leader ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

This is a party so watery they can't even decide on a leader ffs.

Two massive egos and one could not work under the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A number of off topic posts have been removed. If you wish to discuss Donald Trump and Joe Biden there are other threads to do that. Let's keep this thread on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

.anon. wrote: »

Sure RTE was sued last week because of John McGuirk

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-eirigi-apology-5385501-Mar2021/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Annasopra wrote: »
    Sure RTE was sued last week because of John McGuirk

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-eirigi-apology-5385501-Mar2021/

To be fair it is easy to confuse all of those groups and he did apologise immediately

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There are a lot of people here getting more joy about sticking it to the left than there are horrified at the truly awful sh*t this person has said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Faugheen wrote: »
    There are a lot of people here getting more joy about sticking it to the left than there are horrified at the truly awful sh*t this person has said.

That makes perfect sense though. Offensive tweets aren't really newsworthy-twitter is full of them.

The notable part of this story is someone so vocally self righteous being exposed as a hypocrite and subsequently being subject to the treatment she relished in giving to others.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That makes perfect sense though. Offensive tweets aren't really newsworthy-twitter is full of them.

The notable part of this story is someone so vocally self righteous being exposed as a hypocrite and subsequently being subject to the treatment she relished in giving to others.

Not really. The same faces fight tooth and nail if others are deemed to be racist, yet here they don’t actually care about the racism or the image-based sexual abuse, they only care about laughing at the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not really. The same faces fight tooth and nail if others are deemed to be racist, yet here they don’t actually care about the racism or the image-based sexual abuse, they only care about laughing at the left.

Theres a massive difference between the mental gymnastics people like linda often use to define things as racist etc.. , her posts were blatantly racist , the ibsa sharing image is blatant, there is no defense of it, and nobody would be defending anyone else if they were that blatantly racist etc..

The only ‘racist’ comments anyone around here anyone defends are the ones that need left tinted glasses to see the racism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

They are failing to meet their impossible standards.

"Dont lie about people, be racist to people and also don't send dick pics to sexual assault survivors" aren't exactly impossible standards.

The problem is she couldn't even do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes. Because the tweets don't really matter in the great scheme of things going on the world.

Why would I be horrified by a tweet. I am an adult. I am aware that people have horrible views. It doesn't horrify me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

These are from the Tortoise Shack podcast that Linda Hayden was a contributor on.

1. From 15:20 in to the podcast, Linda Hayden gave her representation of what happened with Ciara Kelly on Newstalk, straight from the horses mouth. She subsequently apologised for this. This is from September 2020.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/glow-west-podcast/tortoise-shack-sunday-special-FXNrJpgPqVY/

2. And this is the episode of the Tortoise Shack last week, sans Linda Hayden, trying to wipe egg from their shell. Gets a bit tetchy at times! They make an initial statement at the start of the show, but it gets interesting about 20:40 when one of the contributors asks why are we not all talking about the Linda Hayden issue.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-echo-chamber/sunday-special-32-wviS8MokV9Q/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

seamus wrote: »
    They should be critiqued for their onboarding practices though.

Hayden was picked by the social democrats because she had a good online following, she was on the right side of social issues and had decent experience with public speaking and otherwise politiking.

As someone who orbits the Irish Twitter mob, this is a constant issue that keeps happening to them. They are good-intentioned, but they believe that grifters and spoofers only infiltrate conservative groups. That anyone who talks about being liberal must be.

And when someone gets exposed like this, they end up circiling the wagons, then in-fighting a lot before pretending that the individual never existed.

They aren't though. They're bad people. They use highly emotive terms like 'denialist' to address political differences. They hound people out of jobs based on verbal slips. They try to politicise every aspect of life.

They are the most straightforwardly bad people there are in terms of their basic dishonesty, extreme cultural hostility and the licence they give themselves to demonise totally people who in some cases are only a little bit to the right of them.

And as you say yourself, they will finally resort to lies ('memory holing') when they fail to meet even their own standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

These are from the Tortoise Shack podcast that Linda Hayden was a contributor on.

LOL. Somebody should have a roll back through the tweets of that pair of goons too. The Martin character always seems fairly prickly.

https://twitter.com/INarrated/status/1373876037344448512

I'm not so sure I like the Social Democrats being lumped in with this Twitter scandal. They are a young party, and nominated someone who has turned out to be a bit of a charlatan. Meanwhile, in the Dáil, we have someone linked to 50 murders, and Michael Lowry getting elected election after election.

My main issue with the Social Democrats is that they are taking the vote away from what the country really needs - a strong left-of-centre Labour Party. A party who realise that being in Government involves budgets, compromise, and making unpopular short term decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'm not so sure I like the Social Democrats being lumped in with this Twitter scandal. They are a young party, and nominated someone who has turned out to be a bit of a charlatan. Meanwhile, in the Dáil, we have someone linked to 50 murders, and Michael Lowry getting elected election after election.

My main issue with the Social Democrats is that they are taking the vote away from what the country really needs - a strong left-of-centre Labour Party. A party who realise that being in Government involves budgets, compromise, and making unpopular short term decisions.

Yes if there’s one thing we need more of, it’s centre left parties

Advertisement