Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldie thinking of getting back on 2 wheels

Options
  • 16-03-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

In the late 70's, I had a Honda 50.

Often wistfully think about returning to 2 wheels and wouldn't mind something with sufficient size I could do a little bit of (fair-weather) touring with panniers, etc.

I'm definitely not a speed merchant... More of a "Captain slow" type of driver.

Before that, what do I need to do? Are lessons compulsory? Is the test difficult to pass? What do I need to consider to get legal? Insurance costs? Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What kind of driving license have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

What kind of driving license have you?

AM (which I think is for mopeds) and the B for car

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Gorteen wrote: »

Often wistfully think about returning to 2 wheels and wouldn't mind something with sufficient size I could do a little bit of (fair-weather) touring with panniers, etc.

Before that, what do I need to do? Are lessons compulsory? Is the test difficult to pass? What do I need to consider to get legal? Insurance costs? Any advice?
    RE Interceptor 650, like this old-timer.

A2 legal but with a bit of presence. A naked bike, and you mentioned touring, but are you actually going to do Paris-Dakar? :D

Breezin wrote: »
    RE Interceptor 650, like this old-timer.

A2 legal but with a bit of presence. A naked bike, and you mentioned touring, but are you actually going to do Paris-Dakar? :D

I like the look of the BMW type touring bikes. No, not heading for Paris-Dakar. Maybe Malin to Mizen more in my line :)

I like the look of the BMW type touring bikes. No, not heading for Paris-Dakar. Maybe Malin to Mizen more in my line :)

2-wheel SUVs. Not for me!

• Advertisement

2-wheel SUVs. Not for me!

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Dl650/nc750

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

So you need to start from scratch because you can only drive a moped.

You need to do the theory test

You need to do the IBT

Then the test - it's not hard but it's not easy

Once you have the IBT don't and the theory you can ride bikes but what you can ride will depend on what you will get insured on as you will only have a provisional.

Any of those touring BMW bikes you should be ok getting insured on a provisional, around the 600 would be a nice bike.

Pm my any questions be easier to answer then on here

I don't know what age you are but my dad is 60 and tried to do what your doing and he just wasnt able for it, his balance was gone and he had no confidence so make sure you are physically able for it depending on your age. He talked a good game but the guy doing the IBT with him told me not to let him near a bike and my dad had ridden bikes for 20 years but he just wasn't able anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The size of the bike will be an important factor. Those BMW bikes are big beasts and you need a bit of height and strength to handle them safely. So go to a dealer and sit on one and see if you can man handle it.

If your touring is within Ireland then you don't really need a massive bike. Maybe something mid range would do nicely. I am touching 50 and recently getting back in to bikes and have gone for a mid range bike.

The RE mentioned above is nice as are new honda cmx500a rebel bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Ya biggest mistake you can make is going for too big and heavy a bike.

Stick to the midrange

• Advertisement

What would you recommend?

As I say, try out the Interceptor. Ultra basic, no frills, and you're less likely to give yourself a fright. Or something else mid-range... though I'm notcsure about learner permits etc.
    I was lucky enough to have a full licence intact.

Goose81 wrote: »

I don't know what age you are but my dad is 60 and tried to do what your doing and he just wasnt able for it, his balance was gone and he had no confidence so make sure you are physically able for it depending on your age. He talked a good game but the guy doing the IBT with him told me not to let him near a bike and my dad had ridden bikes for 20 years but he just wasn't able anymore.

I am 60 +, going on 20, and that IBT guy is talking BS.

I watched an RE rally vid from France recently, in which they rode around the mountains above Nice. The oldest guy was riding an Interceptor, iirc. He was 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

[quote=
    I don't know what age you are but my dad is 60 and tried to do what your doing and he just wasnt able for it, his balance was gone and he had no confidence so make sure you are physically able for it depending on your age. He talked a good game but the guy doing the IBT with him told me not to let him near a bike and my dad had ridden bikes for 20 years but he just wasn't able anymore.[/quote]

Hang on he told you not to let him near a bike, but did he pass or fail him?

I watched an RE rally vid from France recently, in which they rode around the mountains above Nice. The oldest guy was riding an Interceptor, iirc. He was 88.

Talking bs about what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Hang on he told you not to let him near a bike, but did he pass or fail him?

You can't pass or fail an IBT.
    You can only complete the course (or not).

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You can't pass or fail an IBT.
    You can only complete the course (or not).

You can fail to complete the modules, be it for lack of ability or other factors.
    Not completing a module due to inability is a failure that has to be repeated to argue that is just arguing semantics.

If the instructor doesn't believe you have the ability to ride on the road, they will not sign off on you therefore you failed to complete it to a satisfactory standard I.e failed.

He passed him but I rang him after and he basically said to me he did enough to pass the IBT but if it was my dad I wouldn't want him on the road, his reactions aren't good enough. Good enough to pass the IBT but just because you pass the IBT doesn't make you a good rider. I've actually never heard of anyone even failing the IBT, you pull up pay your money and get the card, that's the way it works.

I think some people who go back to biking old who are active and fit and have aged well are fine, in my case he isn't active or fit and his reactions clearly aren't what they were. Strength was also a big thing, he's lost alot of it.

He's happy enough washing my bike and revving it about anyway, he takes joy out of me riding around and he has a bike to tinker about with so that's enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Mjolnir wrote: »
    You can fail to complete the modules, be it for lack of ability or other factors.
    Not completing a module due to inability is a failure that has to be repeated to argue that is just arguing semantics.

If the instructor doesn't believe you have the ability to ride on the road, they will not sign off on you therefore you failed to complete it to a satisfactory standard I.e failed.
    I am not arguing semantics (or anything else). You asked if someone passed or failed an IBT.
    There is no such thing as a pass or fail mark on an IBT course (and I'm fairly certain you know that).
    That's probably why it's called a course, and not called a test.
    An IBT instructor is simply giving you a Cert to say that you were in attendance while he/she went through the modules.
    They do not have any discretion to "fail" anybody who completes the IBT course.
    If you choose not to do a module you don't fail, you just don't get an IBT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just get a moped and try it out to see if your balance is still there.

If it is happy days go for it.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Talking bs about what?

Dismissing your dad's ability to ride on the basis of his age. It there were specific conditions, that's a different matter, but the OP hasn't mentioned any.

No one should be put off or ruled out based on a number.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I am not arguing semantics (or anything else). You asked if someone passed or failed an IBT.
    There is no such thing as a pass or fail mark on an IBT course (and I'm fairly certain you know that).
    That's probably why it's called a course, and not called a test.
    An IBT instructor is simply giving you a Cert to say that you were in attendance while he/she went through the modules.
    They do not have any discretion to "fail" anybody who completes the IBT course.
    If you choose not to do a module you don't fail, you just don't get an IBT cert.

Of course they can refuse to sign off on you its not the edt you don't do 12 lessons and they just fill in a book each lesson.

My instructor has refused to sign off on people who've not met the standard and would be a danger to themselves and others. There has also been posts here of people who haven't been signed off on. Just incase you want to question it my instructor is one of the most highly regarded in my area.

It's training and of course you can fail training. At the end of the day like any form of training that requires certification you have completed it, if the instructor isn't happy that you meet the required knowledge or skill base they are most certainly not required to say you have.

If that's how your instructor did it then they should be reported they are there to train you not to tick a box that said you were there and they gave you some basic information. If that was the case why bother doing on the road training?

You are indeed arguing semantics.

Anyway moving along

Bit of a bummer for your dad dude, that being said when my grandad was in his 60's he'd of been the same. On the plus free bike wash haha.

Dismissing your dad's ability to ride on the basis of his age. It there were specific conditions, that's a different matter, but the OP hasn't mentioned any.

No one should be put off or ruled out based on a number.

He never dismissed my dad's ability to ride because of his age, you just didn't read my post properly before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yeah, but maybe he started at 18, and never stopped? Good on him anyway....gives me some hope !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Alfaguy

Those BMW GS 1250 adventure bikes are total monsters - very heavy and tall. Once your up and moving they are fine just moving about at low speeds - in the garage etc and they are a big handful.

A nice Triumph Bonneville would be a safer start. There is a big jump from a Honda 50 to a bigger bike with a clutch. You have not mentioned how recent your honda 50 riding experience is/was?

Its a long haul to get a bike licence these days and I would say your insurance could be expensive. But best of luck getting back on two wheels.

Alfaguy wrote: »
    Those BMW GS 1250 adventure bikes are total monsters - very heavy and tall. Once your up and moving they are fine just moving about at low speeds - in the garage etc and they are a big handful.

A nice Triumph Bonneville would be a safer start. There is a big jump from a Honda 50 to a bigger bike with a clutch. You have not mentioned how recent your honda 50 riding experience is/was?

Its a long haul to get a bike licence these days and I would say your insurance could be expensive. But best of luck getting back on two wheels.

Very good points here heavy, tall and a sh!te centre of gravity if you're walking it around.
    I hate walking my sports bike couldn't imagine that thing.
    Actually out of curiosity anyone know how tall you'd have to be to flat foot it or another dual sport.

Just buy a new S1000RR - no need for any of those test rides - waste of time. Get them to send it down to you in van and sure see how you get on with it. I done that in January and there was no problem. Im 62.

Just buy a new S1000RR - no need for any of those test rides - waste of time. Get them to send it down to you in van and sure see how you get on with it. I done that in January and there was no problem. Im 62.

Honda 50 to an s1000RR, sure we stick him on a busa hahaha

I think the ride height on those GS's is adjustable but I am not sure how its done. I am 5 ft 9.5 inches and in its standard form I am only balancing the bike on extreme tip toes.

I think the ride height on those GS's is adjustable but I am not sure how its done. I am 5 ft 9.5 inches and in its standard form I am only balancing the bike on extreme tip toes.

I'm around 5'11" and can't fully flat foot my bike won't be borrowing one of those for a ride so haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I went back to the Bike after a gap of 30 odd years
    Never did a test in my younger days so back on a L plate for the bike
    I'm 56 now I got a Kawasaki Versys 650 insurance was €450 parked in front garden Chained with ground anchor

At 5'6" I put on a lowering block I can now get 1 foot flat on the ground or balls of both feet but you need to watch for the best spot to stop at the lights as a shallow or a steep camber on the road could catch you off balance and a 200kg will be unforgiving if it starts to topple over
    Dropped it twice early on but not recently
    Think I need to look at applying for the test now

Advertisement