Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bass headphones, ideally open-back, circa 50-60 ?

• 16-03-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My son needs a new pair of over-ear headphones. He is into some heavy music lately, so wants powerful bass as much as possible.

Ideally we'd like to avoid full isolation so would want open-back/demi-open. He had a BeyerDynamic DTX 710 and liked them, but they were old and croaked. And it does not seem like BeyerDynamic is making a budget model like that anymore :(

The budget is up to circa 50-60 Euro; spending more would probably not make much sense as a PC is used as the amp. So I would appreciate pointers to models in this range with good bass - ideally open/semi open.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Apart from the Superlux range (not bassy) I don't know of any semi/open backed headphone you can buy within your budget. Open cans tend to be high end and cost 100's.

Budget cans with thumping bass tend to be only good for that leaveing the rest of the freqeuncy range leaving much to be desired. Also, thumping bass isn't good for one's ears.

I really can't recommend anything in your price range I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

We did get the Superlux HD681 Evo. He's happy enough with it, it's actually pretty bassy at the low end, but the midbass is hollow in my view. In comparison, my OdeOdio Studio Hifi (nearlty the same price and closed-back) has far less low-end bass but far "warmer/richer-feeling" midbass.

So for heavy metal, his are better, but for guitar or organ, mine are.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭00wyk

For a budget, you absolutely cannot beat the Koss KPH30i...assuming you can find them:

Ugh...can't post a link here yet. Search Koss KPH30i and 'Z Reviews' on the tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If you check aliexpress and gearbest sometimes you’ll see great audio bargains - if you are ok with waiting a few weeks for the package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

The Superlux 681 Evo proved super unreliable specifically in cable contacts, it is in its third repair now. If I can't get it repaired or it breaks again, I will be looking at the Koss KPH30i.

• Advertisement
Advertisement