Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you drink the American way ?

• 16-03-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭

So remember the good days of the public house where you could get drunk and merry into the late hours/early morning and actually purchase drink in a pint glass

anyway anytime i watch an american tv show/film i always notice that at the bar/pub its bottles they drink and very rarely pints. My question is could you drink like that and buy bottles instead of pints in Irish pubs (when they reopen) ?.

Personally i would hate to pay over €5 for a 330ml bottle of beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m grand with bottles.

It’s the ridiculous pitcher of beer and 5 tumbler glasses I have a problem with. Like serving MiWadi at a kid’s birthday party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Do Americans pay over $5 for a bottle of beer? I wouldn't mind drinking bottles, if they were the right price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't plenty here already drink bottles?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So remember the good days of the public house where you could get drunk and merry into the late hours/early morning and actually purchase drink in a pint glass

anyway anytime i watch an american tv show/film i always notice that at the bar/pub its bottles they drink and very rarely pints. My question is could you drink like that and buy bottles instead of pints in Irish pubs (when they reopen) ?.

It's just the movies/tv shows. Many American bars will do draft beer, and you'll find a wide variety of glass sizes. I haven't seen the "pint" type glass outside of the Irish bars and Irish member clubs, but I've seen some rather tall glasses similar to what you find for the German beers.

Also bottled beer in the US (depending on the State) tends to be cheaper than here. Sure, there's some brands that are more expensive, but you tend to get more from the dollar, in terms of alcohol, than you do from the Euro here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do Americans pay over $5 for a bottle of beer? I wouldn't mind drinking bottles, if they were the right price

Sometimes, but usually it's cheaper.

I occasionally drink bottles if I'm watching a match over there, because the bartenders swarm like flies as soon as your drink is empty, and you can hide the contents of a bottle easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

I have because that's the norm in much of South America. Draft beer is quite rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I never get too caught up on the price of beer. I be more worried if they rationed it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was sold 25 ounce cans over there at a hockey game, now that was a big beer and I would definitely welcome that size over here in a beer I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I just couldn't justify paying €6 for a bottle of corona in a pub/bar which would could prob get a box for €20/€25 in the offy. Hotel bars are the danger with overpriced bottles

Some OL sell 900 ml cans of beer, mostly Russian/German brewed stuff, some of it is pretty nice and for €3 a can to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Achebe wrote: »
    I have because that's the norm in much of South America. Draft beer is quite rare.

Those ice cold 210ml bottles are amazing, especially in 95f heat. No time to get warm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Big disconnect between TV and reality. I spent nearly a year in the Country and every bar I went to, every who drank beer, drank from a pint glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

What is the fixation lately on American standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

anyway anytime i watch an american tv show/film i always notice that at the bar/pub its bottles they drink and very rarely pints.
    It's a much easier prop to work with than a pint that will lose head, bubbles, and level that obviously changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

In the movies they drink tumblers of spirits with bottles or glasses of beer that seem to last them all night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What is the fixation lately on American standards?

The lads want to be American movie stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I usually drink pints but if I have a bottle I pour it into a glass. This has two advantages; releasing gas from the beer thereby reducing bloating and creating a frothy head which enhances the taste. A large amount of flavour is from the sense of smell which you get bringing a glass up to your mouth.

Bottles and straws cut out a lot of the flavour of drinks.

There's great beers in America these days. It's gone rotten expensive for a beer over there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was paying 10 dollars for a beer when I was over last. This includes tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

I drank "forties" of something called "malt liquor" years ago when I was in NY with a cousin who wasn't 21 and was wary about chancing his arm in the bars, which were all fupping cocktail places anyway.

Felt pretty gangster drinking them in the hotel room with our mothers, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's just the movies/tv shows. Many American bars will do draft beer, and you'll find a wide variety of glass sizes. I haven't seen the "pint" type glass outside of the Irish bars and Irish member clubs, but I've seen some rather tall glasses similar to what you find for the German beers.

Also bottled beer in the US (depending on the State) tends to be cheaper than here. Sure, there's some brands that are more expensive, but you tend to get more from the dollar, in terms of alcohol, than you do from the Euro here.

In New York I found loads of places that did pints. The only problem was, the glasses didn't have the 'safety bulge' we'd be familiar with. You be standing holding your pint, and one sufficient condensation had built up on the glass, it'd slip out of your had and smash on the floor. Not good drawing attention to yourself like that when you're under 21 in an American bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The tipping side of things is more of a head melt, can the bar owners not just pay their staff a fooking living wage?

The tipping side of things is more of a head melt, can the bar owners not just pay their staff a fooking living wage?

Neither party will bring it in. All bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

Forget America, for 20 euro you can drink yourself stupid in Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When I went to America for the first time in the 90's I nearly had a bleedin banger when they were looking for $5 for a bottle of beer...

...plus a feckin dollar for tips, cos the poor bleeders behind the bar got paid shit.

Thing was though, I ended up going to a lot of Irish pubs, cos the Guinness was largely free when they heard the accent, so all I had to pay for was the tips to the lads behind the counter.

Anyway, I says to myself, if I ever have to pay 5 quid for a beer in Ireland it be the last time I step into a pub.

Fast forward a few years in it's €5 for a bottle of beer here too and something really fuckin stupid for any of that craft crap and pre-COVID some places were asking for around 6 for a pint which is why I'd rarely drink in town these days (pandemic notwithstanding of course).

It has changed a lot over there when it comes to tipping. Back in 2003-2012 you'd throw a dollar note on the bar to indicate you were a European who was going to tip. If you built up 8 or 10 dollars then you'd get free beer. Beer was $6 a short pint, so both the bar person and the drinker were doing ok.

If you're loaded, drinking bottled beers is a Let them eat Cake situation, but if you're not and you're still drinking them when the same beer's on tap, I'd say there's a bit of a want in ya.

Forgot you have to be 21 to drink legally in the USA

would that system work here ??

It has changed a lot over there when it comes to tipping. Back in 2003-2012 you'd throw a dollar note on the bar to indicate you were a European who was going to tip. If you built up 8 or 10 dollars then you'd get free beer.

That's dead in a lot of places now. It used to be called a buy back. You'd get a "freebie" to keep you at the bar.

Didn't see it the last time I was in NYC though. :( Didn't see it anywhere in San Francisco and that was nearly 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What annoyed me most about the American way of drinking was the bar person doing one drink at a time. You could be standing at the bar waiting for 10 minutes for them to make a few cocktails.

The way I worked tips was to open a tab then tip when you are finished. If I couldn't open a tab then I only tipped if they handed me the charge. Leave it on the bar and they could feck off tips are supposed to be for good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I once got drunk on Budweiser. It took about 20 cans, but yahoooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only times which I’d ever want to buy bottled beer would be if I was in an establishment where the draught was shîte...

I used to frequent on work trips to Paris a little Irish sheebeen called The Leeson St... it was away from the touristy areas, hard to locate, always quiet but with nice staff and clientele....as well as character and a nice big screen...it had.. shîte draught but they only charged 5.50 euros for the large 660ml bottle of Kronenbourg 1664... a pint and a third. Lovely ice cold.

Doesn't really work in America either. Under 21's can get drink if they want. Just not in pubs.

Plus, as a Yank friend of mine once said, it builds up drinking as something of a Mecca for people. So a lot of kids when they can drink legally get buggered and continue to get buggered until they end up with serious drink problems.

He said he and his mates didn't just go for beers, they went to Whiskey and the likes. Before they knew it several of his friends had an alcohol problem and he developed a nasty habit himself too.

He doesn't drink any more.

Thing is, most Irish people look at drinking as beers and a night out with the mates. Whereas a lot of Americans look at drinking in terms of hard liquor that can get out of control really fast.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The way I worked tips was to open a tab then tip when you are finished. If I couldn't open a tab then I only tipped if they handed me the charge. Leave it on the bar and they could feck off tips are supposed to be for good service.

Would you say... tipping is for the birds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No because we legally drink, vote, form legal contracts at 18. No civilised country should allow their citizens a vote before they can drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

KungPao wrote: »
    I once got drunk on Budweiser. It took about 20 cans, but yahoooooo.

Try Bud Lite next time. 40 cans and a distended tummy

No because we legally drink, vote, form legal contracts at 18. No civilised country should allow their citizens a vote before they can drink.
    One can own a gun there, 3 years before one can have an aul quiet pint with the lads. What a country.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I lived in Canada for a while and pitchers of beer were very common in some the bars we went to. Felt like I was in an episode of Drew Carey! The pitchers were ok until you got towards the bottom of them.

KungPao wrote: »
    One can own a gun there, 3 years before one can have an aul quiet pint with the lads. What a country.

It's worse than that. You can join the army and go get your brains blown out in some shithole fighting for some oil war before you can "have an aul quiet pint with the lads".

The Mrs. had a work trip over there to Knoxville where she stayed in a hotel that was the last US stop for young lads on their way to Iraq. She say one lad, barely 18 who'd joined up to do his service and hopefully try and get a college placement out of it was trying to calm his little sister in floods of tears and the mother who was shaking. The father there trying to look "strong", but shell shocked anyway.

She said it was one of the saddest things she ever saw.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's worse than that. You can join the army and go get your brains blown out in some shithole fighting for some oil war before you can "have an aul quiet pint with the lads".

The Mrs. had a work trip over there to Knoxville where she stayed in a hotel that was the last US stop for young lads on their way to Iraq. She say one lad, barely 18 who'd joined up to do his service and hopefully try and get a college placement out of it was trying to calm his little sister in floods of tears and the mother who was shaking. The father there trying to look "strong", but shell shocked anyway.

Sounds very hollywood

The macho lifestyle of the sports scholarship is another big American thing and would have its disadvantages too

You'd forget how big the USA is, is it bigger than Europe ?

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

That’s grim. Poor lad was probably blown up in some road-side ambush, or worse given what went on there.

Maybe that’s why they have that odd gap between being an adult and having an aul drink. If you’re 18/19/20 and partying, living it up, enjoying your life, you’re less likely to want to get your legs blown off in some god forsaken desert, for freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

You almost got me there on your first and second paragraph.
    I used to walk into my old pub straight to the bar-man and ask for a bottle of southern comfort and a one and a half litre of diet coke and then sit down at my table and open up the laptop to do some photoshop, Never a problem.

The full litre of southern comfort would be gone in two hours, closed down the laptop said goodbye to the bar-man and the next day I turn on my laptop and there's 6 women all naked playing on a video file I never noticed before. Walked into the bar 3 days later and was told never to come here again, I still have no idea what happened on that day. I love the video though.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm sure its already been said but there's plenty of beers on draft here. Not usually pints though, not sure what the measurement is but it's smaller. You can get an american beer for under a fiver usually, in a non touristy locals type place. Open a tab and tip at the end, its easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I remember in Vegas just playing 1c slots and tipping the waitresses well, could get anything for a 2-3 dollar tip, better than a bar there were it would cost 5 dollars a beer and a dollar tip . That was over 10 years ago, not sure the waitresses could do that now at the low stakes table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

anyway anytime i watch an american tv show/film i always notice that at the bar/pub its bottles they drink and very rarely pints.

I'm in Japan and we have these big 640 ML bottles of beer. Much better than pints (more beer!) and for some reason the hangovers are much better.

I dated an American and she told me every year multiple people are her college campus would die of alcohol poisoning. My interpretation was they don't have the drinking culture we have (alcohol problem but with a respect for alcohol) so they go from zero alcohol to a bottle of whiskey. There's no baby steps to get there.

The only "good" drinkers in Asia are the South Koreans. They drink more than the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's a much easier prop to work with than a pint that will lose head, bubbles, and level that obviously changes.

And product placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm in Japan and we have these big 640 ML bottles of beer. Much better than pints (more beer!) and for some reason the hangovers are much better.

I dated an American and she told me every year multiple people are her college campus would die of alcohol poisoning. My interpretation was they don't have the drinking culture we have (alcohol problem but with a respect for alcohol) so they go from zero alcohol to a bottle of whiskey. There's no baby steps to get there.

The only "good" drinkers in Asia are the South Koreans. They drink more than the Irish.

I've often heard that, they drink like fishes in South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

You can get draft beer all over. I love the pitchers, we would do that when with friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would always choose a bottle of beer in a bar over a pint of beer. The only pint I would drink would be a pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I've often heard that, they drink like fishes in South Korea

Quite normal to see very drunk business people on the subway.

The culture is basically you go drinking with your boss. You have to go. And you have to keep drinking until your boss is done.

If you choose not to go, you won't have a future in the company.

Expats don't have to participate as they're seen as the token white monkeys.

Source: spend a lot of time in South Korea and know most of the foreigners at Samsung.

• Advertisement
Advertisement