Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ciudad Guayana (VEN) - more interesting colour and crest

Paysandú (URU) - the multiple stripes top and bottom are a bit different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ciudad Guayana
    Paysandú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Ciudad Guayana (VEN)

Paysandú (URU)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Ciudad Guayana
    Paysandú

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ciudad Guayana and Paysandú advance

• Advertisement

One of my own favorites is coming up next

Match 61

Tierra del Fuego (ARG)

thumb2-flag-of-tierra-del-fuego-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

VS

Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas (ECU)

thumb2-flag-of-santo-domingo-de-los-tsachilas-province-4k-silk-flag-ecuadorian-province-santo-domingo-de-los-tsachilas-province.jpg

---

Match 62

Fortaleza (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-fortaleza-4k-silk-texture-brazilian-city-white-silk-flag.jpg

VS

Cartagena (COL)

1.jpg

Tierra del Fuego (ARG) - really tough one this as I like both. Decided to go with the unusual, but still relatively understated design over the madness that is Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas.

Fortaleza (BRA) - only OK, but the other one is just a bit too hard on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas - they are both interesting flags but it is rare I can prefer something with orange so I'm going for the fussier one

Fortaleza - I like the colours on this, not my favourite crest but the other one is glaring

Just about agree with Zaph above for the tied Match 62.

Tierra del Fuego and Fotaleza advance

• Advertisement

Our last two pairings of Round 1 are on the way!

Match 63

Callao (PER)

700px-Bandera_del_Callao.png

VS

La Rioja (ARG)

thumb2-flag-of-la-rioja-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

---

Match 64

Sorocaba (BRA)

700px-BandeiraSorocaba.svg.png

VS

Bolívar (COL)

thumb2-lithuanian-flag-4k-silk-wavy-flags-european-countries-national-symbols.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bolivar has nothing really to it, so Sorocaba by default

The other two are interesting, but I like the blue background of Callao, and then the sun and castle. Stands out well and is quite tidy.

So Sorocaba and Callao

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Callao (PER) - the castle looks really neat
    Sorocaba (BRA) - the unicorns!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

La Rioja - although not DOC Spanish Rioja i always think of wine when this one appears. I like periwinkle blue as in the other flag but this one is a little more unusual so get's my vote

Sorocaba - so they fought for their free country, well they are mostly getting my vote as they are more interesting that the other one. Wish the colours were slightly less in your face - and yellow and red are Spanish and they are Brazillian so Portugese so should be more green ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Callao (PER)
    Sorocaba (BRA)

La Rioja (ARG) - I like the laurel wreath, or whatever it is
    Bolívar (COL) - it's boring, but really don't like the crest on the other one

Sorocaba and Callao advance

That concludes Round 1. We fairly smashed through that! I'll give a heads up before Round 2 begins.

Round 2 draw has been made. We'll kick the first match off at 2PM. From here on out it's just going to be one match on at a time so you'll only have one decision to make at a time! As before, bouts expire after 15 minutes and reasons given will be used to resolve tied matches.

• Advertisement

Match 1

Buenos Aires (ARG)

thumb2-flag-of-buenos-aires-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

VS

Yaracuy (VEN)

thumb2-flag-of-yaracuy-state-4k-silk-flag-venezuelan-state-yaracuy-state.jpg

Really tough one, but I like the blue and green combination so Buenos Aires gets my vote

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think Yaracuy is overall better done, the sun in particular.

I like the balanced diagonal lines too; not gone on the cogwheel thingy on the bottom half of the other one.

5 minutes left on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Buenos Aires: the internal parts of the provincial flag have the following meaning: The brightness of the sun and the wreath of laurel as symbols of the Glory of the Province are sustained by the economy and production represented in the cogwheel.

Yaracuy The blue band, together with the colours yellow and red, symbolise the people's respect towards our national flag and the water resources available in our nation. The inner circle with the colours yellow, blue and green: meaning the sun, the sky and the land. The sun represents the riches of the land and the resources deriving from it; the brown coloured mountains, with the green fields, symbolise agricultural and richness of the flora.

I like both these flags so it's a tough decision but I prefer the colour combination of Buenos Aires so it's that flag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yaracuy - prefer the diagonal and the other one almost has a bit too much colour, could do with some white in there to break it up.

Great to have the reviews back Kathleen Grant! This one ended in a draw and I said I'd pick the best reasons for tiebreakers. I had two favourite reasons here but luckily for me they were both for the same contestant. Some top notch decriptions offered from cdeb and Cosmo.
    cdeb wrote: »
    I think Yaracuy is overall better done, the sun in particular.

I like the balanced diagonal lines too; not gone on the cogwheel thingy on the bottom half of the other one.
    Yaracuy - prefer the diagonal and the other one almost has a bit too much colour, could do with some white in there to break it up.

Yaracuy advances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Omackeral wrote: »
    Great to have the reviews back Kathleen Grant! This one ended in a draw and I said I'd pick the best reasons for tiebreakers. I had two favourite reasons here but luckily for me they were both for the same contestant. Some top notch decriptions offered from cdeb and Cosmo.

Yaracuy advances

It's a great flag so I'm happy to see it go through.

Match 2

Durazno (URU)

thumb2-flag-of-durazno-department-4k-silk-flag-department-of-uruguay-silk-texture.jpg

VS

Mato Grosso do Sol (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-mato-grosso-do-sul-4k-state-of-brazil-silk-texture-mato-grosso-do-sul-flag.jpg

• Advertisement

Durazno (URU). It's like the EU flag went on holidays and treated itself to a little something while it was away.

Advertisement