Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Durazno reminds me of the aliens in Life of Brian for some reason. That's my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Buenos Aires (ARG)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Noticeable step up in quality in this round, again two good flags here.

I like the shade of blue in the Mato Grosso one, again the white diagonal breaks up the flag nicely, it's simple but very effective.

Duranzo is nice too but it feels like it should be a Eurovision logo or something like that, more than a South American flag.

Both nice but I prefer Mato Grosso do Sol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Durazno
    The flag has been designed on a blue background; the meaning is that a great twelve-pointed star, surrounded by 18 smaller six-pointed ones represents the central geographical position in the country of this department. The rest of the stars represent the remaining departmentes in which the country is divided. Inside the star a lamp is shown, representing light and energy, and also hopes for the future. The light blue lines represent the rivers Yi and Negro (black), which surround Durazno’s territory.

Mato Grosso do Sol
    The flag attempts to symbolize balance, force and serenity by a gilded star (the State) in the sky. The white stripe symbolizes hope; the green symbolizes the vegetation and manifests conscience by the preservation of natural wealth.

For me it's Durazno. I love the symbolism of light, energy and hope for the future. The yellow looks very attractive against the royal blue.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Durazno (URU). It's like the EU flag went on holidays and treated itself to a little something while it was away.
    That's a great description:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Probably out of time but Durazno

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Zaph wrote: »
    Durazno (URU). It's like the EU flag went on holidays and treated itself to a little something while it was away.

For this reason alone I'm going with Zaph. What a perfect description!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With what has to be the weirdest reasons ever given in one of these...

Durazno advances

Match 3

Aysén Region (CHI)

thumb2-flag-of-aysen-region-4k-silk-flag-chilean-administrative-region-silk-texture.jpg

VS

Santa Catarina (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-santa-catarina-4k-state-of-brazil-silk-texture-santa-catarina-flag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

THE HAT IS BACK!!! This time on a star

Santa Catarina (BRA) it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Santa Catarina - tough choice but I slightly prefer this one because of the bird

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Santa Catarina (BRA) - the centre is a really nice shade of green and it works really well against the red and white background. Plus the hat. :D

Santa Catarina - mainly because it feels like it's an actual flag whereas the other one is more just a crest on a white background.

Aysén Region

Region Aysén does not appear to have an official flag. The de facto flag consists of the regional coat of arms on a white field.

Santa Catarina In the central shield, the stars symbolize the municipalities of the state, the eagle represents the productive forces, the key symbolizes the strategic position of the state in the south, the anchor refers to the ocean that bathes the state, and the date 17 November 1889 is that of the adoption of the republican regime. The branches correspond to the coffee plant and the phrygian cap also symbolizes the republican regime.

Santa Catarina for me, the symbolism appears to capture everything about the region.

Santa Catarina - mainly because it feels like it's an actual flag whereas the other one is more just a crest on a white background.

You weren't wrong Cosmo.

Green on red - nice and it works. And has a hat

Santa Catarina

Thanks for the story about the hat Kathleen!

Santa Catarina advances

Match 4

Belém (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-belem-4k-silk-texture-brazilian-city-blue-silk-flag.jpg

VS

Rocha (URU)

thumb2-flag-of-rocha-department-4k-silk-flag-department-of-uruguay-silk-texture.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rocha (URU) - it could be a sh*thole, but the palm trees and sun make it look like somewhere you might want to go to. The foreboding looking castle/tower on the Belem one looks like that sort of place you might never come out of again.

• Advertisement

Rocha for me also. Although the colour scheme is quite generic, loads of European countries use the horizontal blue, white, red combo, it nonetheless gives it more of a flag feel than the other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Belém (BRA) ; like the colours better and there's more going on - it feels like the 4 parts of the crest are telling a story

Belém The flag is the municipal coat of arms on a dark blue field.
    The quarters symbolise the following.
    First, blue, with two arms holding cornucopiae, and a scroll inscribed Vereat Aeternum-Tutius Latente [Eternal spring--securely hidden]. This motto alludes to the Amazon and Tocantins Rivers, which hid their beauties from the eyes of the explorers.
    Second, silver with a radiant sun and a scroll inscribed Rectior cum retrogradus [Seen straight in hindsight]. This quarter recalls the moment when Francisco Caldeira Castelo Branco founded the city; the moment of the foundation was preceded by a beautiful dawn.
    Third, blue with a silver tower, symbolizing the founder, Castelo Branco, whose name means "white tower." The motto in this quarter is Nequaquam minima est (It is not the least), an allusion to Bethlehem of Judaea, after which the city is named--Belém is Portuguese for Bethlehem. (The reference is to Matthew 2:6, "thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art not the least among the princes of Judah.")
    Fourth, an ox and mule on a riverbank--presumably the banks of the Amazon--symbolizing the fertility and natural potential of the Amazonian region for industry and commerce.

Rocha
    I can't find any information.

I like the Rocha flag but the symbolism on the Belém flag swings it for me.

Belem; nice navy colour with some doodles.

Coming back from a deficit...

Belém advances

Next match won't quite have 40 shades of green but it won't be far off either.

More on that cap:

The Phrygian cap or liberty cap is a soft conical cap with the apex bent over, associated in antiquity with several peoples in Eastern Europe and Anatolia including Phrygia,(Asian Turkey) where it originated. In first the American Revolution and then French Revolution, it came to signify freedom and the pursuit of liberty,
    It is used in the coat of arms of certain republics or of republican state institutions in the place where otherwise a crown would be used (in the heraldry of monarchies). It thus came to be identified as a symbol of republican government.
    Many of the anti-colonial revolutions in Latin America were heavily inspired by the imagery and slogans of the American and French Revolutions. As a result, the cap has appeared on the coats of arms of many Latin American nations. The coat of arms of Haiti includes a Phrygian cap to commemorate that country's foundation by rebellious slaves.

Match 5

Caquetá(COL)

700px-Flag_of_Caquet%C3%A1.svg.png

VS

Goiânia (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-goiania-4k-silk-texture-brazilian-city-green-silk-flag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Golania

• Advertisement

God. Not sure about either of these! Caqueta gives me less of a headache looking at it, so that gets my vote

Advertisement