Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Really interesting on the cap Kathleengrant, thanks.

Goiânia (BRA) for me on this one. just a bit more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Goiânia (BRA)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Caqueta - the other one is what our own flag would probably look like if we were ever invaded by the Brits again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Away from laptop and harder research on the phone so will go with my own personal choice here and say Goiania.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Caquetá(COL), the lesser of two evils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Golonia I like how the guy with the gun stole the other's shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Officially a draw. Two votes for either flag after the bell still couldn't split them. I'll give Kathleen Grant the final say here for her research efforts.

Goiânia advances

It's a Venezuelan derby for you next folks. V vs V

Match 6

Bolívar (VEN)

thumb2-flag-of-bolivar-state-4k-silk-flag-venezuelan-state-bolivar-state.jpg

VS

Amazonas (VEN)

thumb2-flag-of-amazonas-state-4k-silk-flag-venezuelan-state-amazonas-state.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Bolívar (VEN) - i really like the whole layout of this one, it's unusual but it works

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Oh wow. I think I missed these in the groups. They're two crackers. I'll vote for Amazonas just because Sawduck voted for Bolivar, so it's back to being level :p

These two could both have gone far; shame they have to meet this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Like both of these. Both strong contenders but I think I'll go for Bolívar (VEN) if i have to choose one.

Amazonas for me, the symbolism is wonderful but would take too long to put here

I love the colours, the shape of the central piece and the symbolism.

I much prefer the colour scheme of Amazonas.

Kathleen and Cosmo come in just after the bell which means...

Bolívar advances

Bolívar (VEN) - both really unique flags, but the brown on the Amazonas one just loses it a point.

We'll take a break here folks.

That's a shame, I feel there was so much more about that decapitated lady in the Amazonas flag that we never got to learn about!

That's a shame, I feel there was so much more about that decapitated lady in the Amazonas flag that we never got to learn about!

Disappointed too. It's a very striking flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Round 2 Match 7 is on the way

Match 7

Chubut (ARG)

thumb2-flag-of-chubut-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

VS

Salto (URU)

thumb2-flag-of-salto-department-4k-silk-flag-department-of-uruguay-silk-texture.jpg

Chubut (ARG). The background is South American brightness and joy. The crest in the middle is from a 1960s Soviet Union propaganda pamphlet about how we must all work together to increase grain production for the glorious workers of the Motherland. What's not to love?

Neither is a classic but Chubut possibly has slightly more going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Salto - nice and tidy.

I think on another flag before I said those stripes would be nicer with one or two less of them. But here I think it suits really well. nice colours, all blending well together. really like that one. and the blue is lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Salto.
    The statue on the top left reminds me of Ancient Greece and the river is cool.

Chubut
    In the center of the flag a wheel of gears will be observed: symbol of the industrial production. Behind the gear and over it "a great stylized, streamlined, symmetrical sun, whose rigid rays represent the fifteen (15) departments that integrate the Province and forecasting a shining future".

Underneath the rising sun,"the Florentino Ameghino Dam that symbolizes modern engineering, agriculture is represented by a great stem of wheat that stands perpendicular from the top of the dam".
    The yellow horizontal line: represents the rivers of the Province, and in particular the Chubut River, that crosses the territory from the West to the East and of from which the Province takes its name.

The [upper white] zigzag line alludes to the Mountain range of the Andes. The waving lower line represents the Atlantic Ocean. The celestial sky blue color symbolizes the sky and beauty. The yellow [symbolize] force, vitality and splendor as well as the wheat of the provincial agricultural production and the sun. The blue color symbolize justice, loyalty and truth. The white color symbolize purity and faith.

Salto
    The flag is vertically divided Royal blue-white-Royal blue, with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The meaning of the colors is the same as for the arms.

I am going for Chubut, liked it from the first time I saw it in the group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Chubut - prefer the colours used and just has a bit more personality to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Chubut is horrible. Salto is much smarter :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Chubut just a smidge over Salto - tough round!

Advertisement